Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yellowstone once again

Judy and I will be heading back to Yellowstone June 3 and leaving June 10 2020

we will fly into Jackson, spend the night and head to Lake Yellowstone ( Sandpiper Lodge ) then Canyon, then Roosevelt Lodge and end up at the Old House/Old Faithful Inn, then fly out from Jackson

we will be renting an SUV

my 3rd trip, her 2nd

if anyone happens to be in the Park at that time and wants to say hello, please let me know

we tend to concentrate on wildlife as oppose to the hot springs and geysers and we definitely not the type to go into the back country

--------------

I've learned to say this when I stop and talk to people who have pulled over:

" yep, if we had been here 5 minutes ago, the wolf and cub would have been on that side of the road and the mountain lion on the other

and 5 minutes after we leave, they will be back "

in other words, wildlife has its own schedule and you may not get lucky when you look for it.

hints and advice will be greatly appreciated

08-28-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just watch for the packs of Canon shooters on the roadside. When the accumulation of gear at any single point exceeds $250,000 I figure it is worth a stop to see what they are looking at.
08-28-2019, 09:10 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just watch for the packs of Canon shooters on the roadside. When the accumulation of gear at any single point exceeds $250,000 I figure it is worth a stop to see what they are looking at.
Be aware, however, that Canon shooters may stampede with very little advance warning and their tripod spikes can be deadly.

Steve
08-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should be good timing. I was there right after the Memorial Day weekend this year. Lots of young critters that time of year.

And yes, timing is everything. While driving through the Lamar Valley, I missed a mother grizzly and two cubs killing an elk fawn by less than 10 min. Still got some interesting photos of the aftermath, but seeing that hunt would have been amazing.

08-28-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Should be good timing. I was there right after the Memorial Day weekend this year. Lots of young critters that time of year.

And yes, timing is everything. While driving through the Lamar Valley, I missed a mother grizzly and two cubs killing an elk fawn by less than 10 min. Still got some interesting photos of the aftermath, but seeing that hunt would have been amazing.
our first trip in 2017, in late May after Memorial Day

we did see a wolf come down the hills east of the Yellowstone River ( in the southern Hayden Valley ) and hunt for goose/duck eggs

that is the only " hunt " we have seen ( and the only wolf close enough to try to photograph )
08-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
our first trip in 2017, in late May after Memorial Day

we did see a wolf come down the hills east of the Yellowstone River ( in the southern Hayden Valley ) and hunt for goose/duck eggs

that is the only " hunt " we have seen ( and the only wolf close enough to try to photograph )
Yeah, the only wolves I saw this year were far away in the spotting scope. Too far to photograph. Got a good picture of a coyote hunting ground squirrels or something similar in the Hayden Valley.
08-31-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am not eager to see these coming to Yellowstone

QuoteQuote:
Motorized electric bicycles may soon be humming along serene trails in national parks and other public lands nationwide. It’s part of a new . . . administration order — hotly opposed by many outdoors groups — that will allow e-bikes on every federal trail where a regular bike can go. . . .
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/apnewsbreak-coming-to-national-park-...e04_story.html

09-06-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . I figure it is worth a stop to see what they are looking at.
careful answering that question:

years ago I was part of a group who volunteered their time to take kids from Iowa to a member's remote fishing lodge in Ontario

[ located east of Lake Nipigon and west of Geraldton Ontario north of the main highway ]

we had left the lodge and stopped for lunch at a small lake's beach when I walked away from the group

I pointed to the ground while waving the group to join me

they came and started to stare where I was pointing

one asked, what are we looking at ?

" well, I don't know what they call it here in Canada but back home I call it mud "

they all tried to throw me into the lake

I don't know why
09-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have heard about an opportunity to swim in one of the northern rivers near a hot spring in the park or very close to the north enterance

does anyone have any knowledge of that and can you give details ?
09-27-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fire hole river swimming area. I did not try swimming it but it was a good spot photographically with the falls.

Yellowstone Firehole Canyon Drive to Waterfall & Swimming Area - My Yellowstone Park

The other area is on the Boiling River but I did not go there. It has hot springs and might be the one you are looking for.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/swim-yellowstones-boiling-river
09-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fire hole river swimming area. I did not try swimming it but it was a good spot photographically with the falls.

Yellowstone Firehole Canyon Drive to Waterfall & Swimming Area - My Yellowstone Park

The other area is on the Boiling River but I did not go there. It has hot springs and might be the one you are looking for.

Swim in Yellowstone's Boiling River - My Yellowstone Park
thanks

it was the Boiling River site I had heard of

sounds like it will be closed when we are there in early June 2020
01-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Judy and I will be heading back to Yellowstone June 3 and leaving June 10 2020

we will fly into Jackson, spend the night and head to Lake Yellowstone ( Sandpiper Lodge ) then Canyon, then Roosevelt Lodge and end up at the Old House/Old Faithful Inn, then fly out from Jackson

we will be renting an SUV

my 3rd trip, her 2nd

hints and advice will be greatly appreciated

If you are also travelling with someone that has never gone, my dad always visits every single sulfur pot in the park. It was interesting when he did that with his mother.

Enjoy the park. I need to visit again. 5 hours away and it has been too long.
01-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
. . . Enjoy the park. I need to visit again. 5 hours away and it has been too long.
5 hours

lucky you

I'm 17 hours plus

which is why we fly and rent a vehicle

[ although I know a member who drives in from New York State ]
03-25-2020, 02:20 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just learned from the Associated Press that Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons National Park have been closed indefinitely effective immediately

" state and local roads that cross park boundaries " remain open

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-25-2020 at 02:29 AM.
03-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

just learned from the Associated Press
How do you get word from associated press? I'm wondering because I'd like to know if there are any in my area that the parks are closed or not. However, I'm not sure we have any major parks in my area, Allen.