Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I believe the OP, in an earlier thread, indicated that his destination is Taiwan:

Relocating advice needed - PentaxForums.com

09-01-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the most important advice is that the situation is always fluid. No matter how many times I have been through an airport with no issues, that does not mean that tomorrow one of the TSA agents isn't going to decide that my gear needs an inspection. That's just the way it is and that is intentional. They deliberately change up procedures randomly so that patterns are not easily discernible.

And secondly, there are two separate issues here:
1) What the airline allows which can only be determined by asking them. This is usually just bag size and sometimes weight.

2) What security allows which will vary by country, airport, security level, security agent and how much sleep that agent got the night before. There are rules that you can get from TSA or the security agency in whatever countries you are traveling in but be aware those rules can change for any reason or no reason at all.

The last time we traveled I had my LowePro roll aboard packed with camera gear, tripod and batteries plus a laptop bag with laptop and my k-3ii to use while on the flight. I sailed through security without even a blink. My wife right behind me with no camera gear or computers was stopped, given a pat down and her carry on run through x-ray twice and then hand searched. Why? No idea, they never said. I assume some random counter blinked and she was the unlucky one.
09-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
As for my gear, I always carry (carry-on) a full backpack (Lowepro, Trekker 220, not sure of model) without any problem so far, of about 10kg
That's over the carry-on weight limit for some international airlines,
which they'll enforce when they're fully booked and you're flying cattle class.

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
Cameras and lenses don’t have have to be out in trays, that’s generally for laptops.
Again, at some international airports they do want the cameras and lenses out.
09-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That's over the carry-on weight limit for some international airlines,
which they'll enforce when they're fully booked and you're flying cattle class.

Again, at some international airports they do want the cameras and lenses out.
Never been through that one, I thought Changi was the worst of them but maybe I was wrong

09-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Generally speaking, TSA aren't concerned with how much stuff you're carrying; it's all about what you're carrying. Nothing to worry about with DSLRs and lenses there.

I travel quite a bit (internationallly, including to and from the U.S., and domestically within the U.S.) and in my experience airlines rarely question how much stuff you're hand carrying except when you're traveling in small airplanes that have limited bin space, in which case they will often insist on gate-checking some roll-aboard bags. If you're flying EVA out of JFK you'll be on a wide-body with big bins. I'm not sure anyone has ever weighed my hand-carry bag (usually full of camera gear), and I'm fairly sure that some airlines explicitly include a camera in a description of typical "personal items" (as in "1 bag and one personal item"). My wife always pushes the 1+1 thing to extremes and never gets called out on it.

You'll be fine.
09-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

best thing to do is contact the air line you are traveling on
QuoteQuote:
Hand-carry Baggage Number and Regulations

Hand-Carry Baggage Dimension

Royal Laurel/Premium Laurel/Business Class passenger is allowed to carry two-pieces of hand-carry baggage and each piece cannot exceed 7 kg/15 lb. Premium Economy/Economy Class passenger is permitted to carry one-piece weighing 7 kg/15 lb carry-on baggage.

The dimension of each hand-carry baggage may not be larger than 23 x 36 x 56 cm /9 x 14 x 22 in or total of 115 cm/45 in (personal item is not applied to this regulation).
For your convenience, a measurement Test Unit is available at either the check-in counter or boarding lounge to help you to determine whether your baggage meets these requirements.

If the hand-carry baggage is overweight or oversize, it will be checked and carried in the cargo hold or refused carriage

https://www.evaair.com/en-global/managing-your-trip/baggage-information/special-baggage/

according to this article dated April of 2019

here are the current boarding procedures and carry on restrictions for many US air lines:

QuoteQuote:
Zone 1 or Group E? Making Sense of the New Boarding Rules
Airlines have been toying with boarding plans and line-jumping shortcuts since they began charging for checked bags 10 years ago. Here, the latest changes and how to make them work for you.
Zone 1 or Group E? Making Sense of the New Boarding Rules - The New York Times

it has no information regarding weight restrictions for carry on

Airline Carry-on Luggage Size Restrictions: What You Need to Know
BY LINDSAY TIGAR AUGUST 05, 2019

QuoteQuote:
What is the weight limit for carry-on luggage?
For many major domestic airlines — think: Delta, Southwest, JetBlue — there are no weight restrictions for carry-on bags. You'll just have to be able to lift it above your head into the storage bin. And in most cases, even if airlines do list a specific pound or kilogram limit on their websites, they likely won't weigh your carry-on bags. As long as your pack doesn’t appear to be overstuffed, you’re probably OK. Weight is much more important for small commuter planes, mostly due to safety regulations.
QuoteQuote:
What is a personal item?
In addition to your carry-on suitcase, many airlines also allow a personal item. This can be a laptop bag, a purse, a briefcase, a beach bag — whatever you like, as long as it is generally small. Personal item restrictions vary by airline, and some choose not to include any specifics at all. In those cases, the general rule of thumb is an item smaller in dimension and weight than your carry-on bag. For families flying with a stroller or diaper bag or those traveling with uncommon additions like a wedding dress or an instrument can rest assured that most carriers will let you bring these along with your carry-on luggage and your personal item, but we recommend you contact the airline in advance to confirm this.
QuoteQuote:
Carry-on luggage size chart
Travel retailer eBags compiled this super-helpful list of carry-on luggage regulations for the most popular airlines. On their site, each airline's specific requirements are shoppable

this site does include weight restriction limits of carry on by specific air lines

A Carry-on Luggage Size Guide by Airline | Travel + Leisure

QuoteQuote:
Carry-On Luggage Regulations
Our chart lists many common airlines and their carry-on size and weight restrictions. For a more complete look at your airline’s luggage restrictions by class, active duty passenger discounts, pet regulations and international travel, please refer to our active list of airline charts below.

TSA Luggage Regulations | Carry-On Sizes and Checked Bag Fees

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.
09-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #22

Original Poster
Hi guys, thanks for all the input. Despite not responding I did read through all of it through e-mail updates, I'm very grateful for everyone looking into this issue.

I was quite busy with packing/storing the final week so I wasn't able to give any updates, but here's the quick rundown on what happened:
You guys were right, I probably was worrying about too much. It's the first time I travelled with something with so much value so I was quite nervous.
No issues with flash/tripod in checked luggage.
None of my checked luggage were overweight, so no issues there. My carry-on was actually quite a bit overweight (~10lb) but it was not weighed and I had no issue at all
Personal item was perfectly fine, I wonder if I could've gotten away with a slightly bigger bag, but I'm just glad I got through
Found a TSA "we checked your luggage" note in one of my checked luggage. Nothing seems to be missing so far.
I did not have to take the cameras out at the security checkpoint, and did not get asked to open my bag or anything.

Thanks again!

09-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

glad to hear that the trip went well
09-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fobbo Quote
Found a TSA "we checked your luggage" note in one of my checked luggage.
When we travel back 'home' we always bring back about 20 pounds of kielbasa from our favorite store. It is packed in vac-pack bags in groups of 6. When viewed on the x-ray machine all you see are packages of long cylinders grouped in sets of 6. We get a "we checked your luggage" note every time. I've no idea why..................

Glad you had no problems with your trip.
09-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Strongly recommended if you are worried about being over the weight limits - small luggage scales are available very cheaply, the ones I use are a hook design with digital display and seem to be very accurate, and only add about 100g to the weight carried. Similar to these:

50kg Digital Travel Portable Handheld Weighing Luggage Scales Suitcase Fishing | eBay

The cheapest ones are about £3 and don't look any less accurate.