Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I've never felt the need for two bodies during travel. The three lenses in my signature are a great travel trio. Yes, something on the longer end would work well for you - the 55-300PLM is smaller and lighter than the others mentioned but maybe isn't out of the same drawer IQ wise.

I often see folks citing APS-c and 35mm frame as alternate options for camera replacement; don't forget they are different formats, and the more compact APS-c lenses may not give you what you'd be looking for on a 35mm frame, except in crop mode. Unless you want to build two diffferent format kits, personally I'd stick with one or the other. Like I have!
Two big reasons I carry two cameras:

1> Redundancy.You often get one shot at a photo op. Full SD card? Battery empty? Some last minute problem with one of the cameras so it needs to be left behind that morning?
2> Field lens changes to move between something "out there" and "something really close" often means dust and debris in the camera, plus yet another reason that shot may be missed while finding and fumbling with a lens. Besides, do you really want to chance dropping that lens in your haste to change it?

Now I know carying a big range lens like the 18-270 or 55-300 avoids some of the need to change lenses but if I was planning a only-once-this-lifetime trip I'd want my photos to be the best they could be and not just good enough. I'm picky about my glass anyway and even pickier when it might be the only time I'll ever experience a thing or place.

So as for me I'll typically put the DFA100 or DA 50-135 on one body and the 17-50 on the other (sometimes a DA15 depending on how narrow the streets are) for general cityscapes, while for wilderness/hiking I'll carry the *200 and DFA100 (macro) with a TC in my pocket. Then there's those wonderful festivals and markets you'll want to visit and that 17-50 and DFA 100 is like a near perfect marriage, light and stays out of the way. I'll guarantee a crowded festival with dusty paths and lots of kids and elbows is not somewhere you will want to do a lens change.

A Spider holster with two clips, usually my choice, or a single one along with a camera sling for the other makes carrying two pretty bodies secure and leaves your hands free.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-20-2019 at 02:04 PM.
10-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Actually, a voltage convertor or transformer isn't needed for most modern devices.

These days, devices like the Pentax battery charger, iPhone/iPad chargers, laptop chargers, etc. all use switching power supplies that can handle anything from 100VAC to 240VAC as well as both 50Hz and 60Hz sources. It's only the old-style super-heavy wall-wart chargers that contain a heavy transformer (which isn't the best choice for travel anyway) that only work on one voltage.

Just check the fine print on the back of the unit which will typically say "INPUT: AC100-240V 50-60Hz" indicating that the device works on a the full range of voltages.

You'll still need a plug convertor, though.

P.S. I always travel with an extension cord (with 3 outlets). It works great when the hotel only has one outlet behind the bed or in an airport when the wall socket is 4 seats down from where I found a seat. I plug that cord into the plug convertor and then run it up to a more convenient place to plug in all the other tidbits of modernity.
10-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carry two cameras for several reasons:

Murphy's law - anything that can go wrong will go wrong

Finnigan's corollary to Murphy's law - Murphy was an optimist

where do you get a camera repaired while on a trip ?

how long would it take to get it repaired ?

where do you buy a camera on a trip ?

gives you options for photography as explained

most people carry phones which may have a camera

but how good are they

DSLR using same lenses - great

Bridge cameras and compact cameras also have their place

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-20-2019 at 02:09 PM.
10-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Actually, a voltage convertor or transformer isn't needed for most modern devices.

These days, devices like the Pentax battery charger, iPhone/iPad chargers, laptop chargers, etc. all use switching power supplies that can handle anything from 100VAC to 240VAC as well as both 50Hz and 60Hz sources. It's only the old-style super-heavy wall-wart chargers that contain a heavy transformer (which isn't the best choice for travel anyway) that only work on one voltage.

Just check the fine print on the back of the unit which will typically say "INPUT: AC100-240V 50-60Hz" indicating that the device works on a the full range of voltages.

You'll still need a plug convertor, though.

P.S. I always travel with an extension cord (with 3 outlets). It works great when the hotel only has one outlet behind the bed or in an airport when the wall socket is 4 seats down from where I found a seat. I plug that cord into the plug convertor and then run it up to a more convenient place to plug in all the other tidbits of modernity.
everybody knows I am not computer or electronically savvy

and I do use electronics on trips that are not useable overseas without a converter

at worse, the power converter acts like the suggested extension cord and mine comes with a full set of plug converters

10-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Ref the "voltage converter" issue, unless you want to take something that is single (110-120V) voltage (like a hairdryer??) then why would you need one? - personally, all I need for "photo stuff" is something that will charge my camera batteries, and so I take multiple mains-USB 5V wallwarts (most of which are 100V-230V/240V capable) and then USB-powered battery-charger cradles for each battery type (thus 1 cradle for D-Li109s for the K30 or K70 / D-Li90s for the K3/K3 II, and another for SWMBO's Sony compact). Far more simple - and MUCH smaller & lighter!

Might though need multiple plug-type adapters due to the number of devices that need to be charged simultaneously - couple of weeks ago I took 5 of those when we went to France, but actually only needed 4 (1 was for SWMBO's hairdryer!).
10-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

for existing gear I would opt for the 31 & 100...….however if you are going to get something longer then that would replace the 100
10-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your comments and suggestions are making me think about my lens mix in new ways, thank you.

Maybe two bodies, but one would likely be my K5IIs, the other new, maybe a KP. Would be nice to have two of the same.

10-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
. . . Would be nice to have two of the same.
consider what advantage you can have with two bodies

does one do somethig better than the other ?

having two of the same body doesn't give you that option

and yes the K 3 and K 3 II are mostly the same but there is a difference or two
10-20-2019, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Second body would be mainly for redundancy just in case, and for times when I don't want to change lenses. Whether I take two may depend on trip duration, and if it's more photo centric, or travel. I do appreciate your comment about taking time to enjoy. I do that. Try to have the journey inspire the photography first, and not keep my eyes glued to the camera.

I don't take advantage of the many features modern camera bodies have like I should. Given this admitted limitation my main criteria for bodies has been rugged, comfortable, WR and capable of good images. My main limitations (other than not having a more thorough understanding of each body model's features) have been lens quality and capability, and my own photographic skills. I'm not a luddite, but am maybe locked a little too much into when I first shot an SLR, learning on my dad's old Nikon F.

Last edited by Biff; 10-20-2019 at 04:18 PM.
10-20-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Second body would be mainly for redundancy just in case, and for times when I don't want to change lenses. Whether I take two may depend on trip duration, and if it's more photo centric, or travel. I do appreciate your comment about taking time to enjoy. I do that. Try to have the journey inspire the photography first, and not keep my eyes glued to the camera.

I don't take advantage of the many features modern camera bodies have like I should. Given this admitted limitation my main criteria for bodies has been rugged, comfortable, WR and capable of good images. My main limitations (other than not having a more thorough understanding of each body model's features) have been lens quality and capability, and my own photographic skills. I'm not a luddite, but am maybe locked a little too much into when I first shot an SLR, learning on my dad's old Nikon F.
Since you're not someone using some of the niche features, and primary concerns being WR and image quality, the K-70 will be the better choice. More comfortable and secure in the hand than the KP and equal in image quality, while essentially just as compact. The deeper grip will benefit with longer or heavier lenses too. Spend the savings on a lens or TC instead.
10-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts on handling.

Long item ago I got a chance to hold a K-7 at a Pentax road show, loved the feel, so knew I'd like the K-5. Now with stores few and far between online opinions are important.

Quite different from when I worked in a camera store during college. . .
10-20-2019, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The issue is your max focal length need. I travel with the KP and DA21, DA40* and DA 70, but I would need to add the 55-300 PLM for any kind of reach at all and I don’t have one.

* or DA35

Hi folks-

I know this question has been asked in many ways, but here goes:

I'm re-evaluating my kit, want something pretty simple, high quality lenses, and compact, and know I may not get all 3 completely. I have a K5IIs which I love but know is dated and am willing to upgrade, even use the K5IIs as back up. Lenses I have are 12-24, 20-40, 18-135, 31, 77, 100 macro. Travel would include Africa.

I really like the rendering from the 20-40, the 18-135 has gotten a lot of use as a travel lens, but I know there are higher quality optics.

I'd even consider an SLR and maybe the GRIII, or two SLRS, one with the 20-40, other with(?).

I've been reading about the KP, looks great. Open to considering the Ki Mark II, but it is larger. 70-200 is a stunning lens, as is the 60-250.

Bottom line: 1, maybe two bodies, 2 or 3 lenses.

I know this is an open question, and greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-20-2019 at 08:08 PM.
10-20-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I second aaacb's recommendation for the 16-85mm WR. And then the 55-300mm PLM. Perhaps add the 1.4 TC.

For fast autofocus, the 55-300mm PLM is fantastic, and it IS sharp. Yes, the 16-85mm WR is big, but it is a quality lens, and complements the 55-300mm range very nicely, with a bit of overlap.
10-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I agree. Sold my earlier model 55-300 a few years ago.

I tend to shoot in pretty close and/or wide. I may only buy a longer lens when I go to Africa. Even then I understand wildlife is often closer than you may expect. Maybe the 100 with a TC even.
10-20-2019, 06:52 PM - 5 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 20-40 Limited on the camera.
DA* 11-18 and DA 55-300 PLM in the bag.

Everything from ultra wide to super telephoto covered with three lenses. Great IQ and weather sealed. Throw in a couple of faster primes if you like.

Oh yeah. Get the KP too