Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thailand in November

Good morning all!

i am about a week away from a couple weeks in Thailand. I am equipped with the following uninteresting cameras: m4/3 with 40mm equiv, and GoPro Hero 3 silver (or some such), and pocket superzoom.

My SPII is coming, with 55mm f1.8, "borrowed" wide angle hood, and polarizer. i'm packing some Ektar 100, Portra 160 and 400, along with a couple rolls of Cinestill 50d, Pan F, and Tri-X.

I have no zoom lens worth bringing for either kit, which i feel is a loss, but I'll get more exercise this way. This is a social trip instead of work, so I figure i can make do with my setup.

I'll have a spare 387 battery, cleaning cloth, and knock off tiny tripod. I may through my cable release in the bag.

I've never been to this part of the world - am I missing anything obvious in my kit? I'm running out of time to make sweeping changes, but I can still make smaller tweaks. All packed in a retrospective 7 bag, cameras have bottom half of never ready cases on to protect them out and about.

Thanks for your time, i can't wait to get shooting.

Anthony

10-24-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got back from a trip out that way. I notice that you don't have anything in the telephoto range. It would be worth your while to pick up an Olympus 40-150mm or a Takumar 135mm f/2.5 or f/3.5 (depending on your budget). I've had experience with all three of these lenses. Anything in this range will really let you isolate your subjects by having greater control over which background elements you choose to include (and they're all quite small and light).

Throw that threaded release cable in your bag too. It weighs nothing and will give you better results with your tripod.
I only broke my tripod out three times on my trip, but the results were worth it.
First, I used it shooting nighttime street scenes in Japan on Provia 100f. Second, it was for shooting Mount Fuji as dawn broke with Velvia. Third I took shots of the milky way and the sunrise on top of Mount Batur in Indonesia with my K-1. I didn't actually use the tripod in Thailand though, but I'm glad I took it.
10-24-2019, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Where in Thailand? I would want something wide for temples, cityscapes, beaches, and mountain vistas. At least half a normal lens. The 40mm on 4/3 is 2x and the 55 is a long 1x on sp11.
10-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Where in Thailand? I would want something wide for temples, cityscapes, beaches, and mountain vistas. At least half a normal lens. The 40mm on 4/3 is 2x and the 55 is a long 1x on sp11.
Where aren't we going in thailand... there's a lot of everything.

the 40mm is a FF equiv rating, it's the 20mm f1.7

i do have a wider Tak for the SPII, i have to confirm if it's 35mm or 28mm though (i only use it for travelling)

---------- Post added 10-24-19 at 12:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
I just got back from a trip out that way. I notice that you don't have anything in the telephoto range. It would be worth your while to pick up an Olympus 40-150mm or a Takumar 135mm f/2.5 or f/3.5 (depending on your budget). I've had experience with all three of these lenses. Anything in this range will really let you isolate your subjects by having greater control over which background elements you choose to include (and they're all quite small and light).

Throw that threaded release cable in your bag too. It weighs nothing and will give you better results with your tripod.
I only broke my tripod out three times on my trip, but the results were worth it.
First, I used it shooting nighttime street scenes in Japan on Provia 100f. Second, it was for shooting Mount Fuji as dawn broke with Velvia. Third I took shots of the milky way and the sunrise on top of Mount Batur in Indonesia with my K-1. I didn't actually use the tripod in Thailand though, but I'm glad I took it.
How did you find your travels to asia with film? do i have a chance of getting mine hand inspected, or should I just shrug and leave it in my carry on?

There was originally a different camera going, that has a 35-105mm zoom, this is just a little bit of a scramble. There is a Tak 135mm f3.5 near-ish by that I might be able to get in time.

I'll definitely take your advice on the cable release, can't hurt to have it.

Thank you!

10-24-2019, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grab an m43 adapter for m42 lenses. Use the 55 as a 110mm like reach and bring a 135 which gives close to 270mm like views. The lenses would pull double duty that way. Also you might find m42 lenses on the trip.
10-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Grab an m43 adapter for m42 lenses. Use the 55 as a 110mm like reach and bring a 135 which gives close to 270mm like views. The lenses would pull double duty that way. Also you might find m42 lenses on the trip.
I have an adapter for my *lympus lenses, so I may do that. I have a 50mm f1.4 that doubled would be decent as a tele. I've heard that film equipment does show up at some of the markets, but I'm the photo fan going, so it would need to be at a "normal" market. I'll definitely keep an eye out, it would make a neat souvenir

I'll see if I can find a m42 adapter that would get to me in time.

Thank you.
10-27-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

How did you find your travels to asia with film? do i have a chance of getting mine hand inspected, or should I just shrug and leave it in my carry on?

There was originally a different camera going, that has a 35-105mm zoom, this is just a little bit of a scramble. There is a Tak 135mm f3.5 near-ish by that I might be able to get in time.

I'll definitely take your advice on the cable release, can't hurt to have it.

Thank you!
I always asked the staff when going through security to hand check the film. For me, not a single airport outside of Japan hand checked the film. I kept it all in a clear plastic zipper bag outside of their plastic cans to make it easy for the staff to inspect. In South Korea, one security staff member just took a look at the plastic bag and waved me through. But, everywhere else ignored my requests. I would say that asking for a hand check really didn't matter, no matter how early we were in line.

So, my advice would be to bring films below 800iso and keep them in your carry-on but never in your checked bags, since the x-ray scanners in the freight loading baggage area are many magnitudes more powerful and will destroy your film. Keep your film in a clear plastic bag at the ready as well, so you can pull them all out at once. This is important for passing through non-airport security, such as at train stations or at the entrance of higher end hotels which employ x-ray scanners that do not need to comply with airport film-safe standards. Of the three times I passed through security outside of an airport, not once was I told to put my baggie of film through the scanner when I carried it in my hand.

10-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, my advice would be to bring films below 800iso and keep them in your carry-on but never in your checked bags, since the x-ray scanners in the freight loading baggage area are many magnitudes more powerful and will destroy your film. Keep your film in a clear plastic bag at the ready as well, so you can pull them all out at once. This is important for passing through non-airport security, such as at train stations or at the entrance of higher end hotels which employ x-ray scanners that do not need to comply with airport film-safe standards. Of the three times I passed through security outside of an airport, not once was I told to put my baggie of film through the scanner when I carried it in my hand.
I think i've made my peace with the airports, but thanks for this heads up. I will be taking a train, and despite having gone through x-rays at a train station before, this never occurred to me. Many thanks
11-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, I survived. More X-rays than expected at airports, fewer than expected everywhere else.

film just arrived at the lab, so... fingers crossed.
01-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

So?!
How'd it turn out?
01-08-2020, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So?!
How'd it turn out?
Actually, i was pleasantly surprised. After the higher than recommended number of xrays, i see no real damage to any of my shots. There's some with user error, but the only real "loss" was the picture that was taken when one camera hit the shutter release of the other lol.

My (unedited) Pentax images are located on flickr here

And the full set of edited pictures from a mix of 4 cameras is on flickr here

All in all, the trip was very good. I can't say it was relaxing, although it had relaxing moments. I learned a lot, and experienced a lot, which is what the goal was for this trip. I saw some fantastic sights.
01-08-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
Actually, i was pleasantly surprised. After the higher than recommended number of xrays, i see no real damage to any of my shots. There's some with user error, but the only real "loss" was the picture that was taken when one camera hit the shutter release of the other lol.

My (unedited) Pentax images are located on flickr here

And the full set of edited pictures from a mix of 4 cameras is on flickr here

All in all, the trip was very good. I can't say it was relaxing, although it had relaxing moments. I learned a lot, and experienced a lot, which is what the goal was for this trip. I saw some fantastic sights.
seems like you had a great trip! Nice to go on a trip like that with analog camera's must get some attention?
01-08-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I enjoyed the images. I spent time at that oval open bar in Phucket on my way to Chang Mai. Where are the 7-11 stores?
01-08-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -JW- Quote
seems like you had a great trip! Nice to go on a trip like that with analog camera's must get some attention?
Honestly? Aside from the group I was travelling with ("why are you using film? They still make film??"), no one commented.

I think the locals are so used to photos. At one of the hotels we were at we got to watch a good number of people effectively have photo shoots around the pool. The wedding photographers we understood, but the rest? I don't know... I've never seen so many pictures taken that are destined straight for instragram/deletion.

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I enjoyed the images. I spent time at that oval open bar in Phucket on my way to Chang Mai. Where are the 7-11 stores?
We flew down to Phuket, and then rented a car and drove back up north to bangkok. The better question is - where aren't the 7-11s? I have a picture from a couple gas stations, but you know, i don't think i ever shot a 7-11 or family mart. I guess i'm going to have to go back now...
01-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Very nice, I think my favourite image is the one of the elephants. You've labeled it 000041360011. Who did your scanning?