Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interested in trains and photography? Free Activity Can you make it to Topeka Kansas

Interested in trains and photography? Free Activity Can you make it to Topeka Kansas
Train Photography Class | Wolfe's Camera Shop | Topeka KS

Wolfe’s Camera presents:

Train Photography Class Friday November 15 at 3 pm

Photo walk gathering at the Great Overland Station Tuesday November 19 11am?

Steam Engine (and other train) Photography Discussion 3 pm November 15

Two speakers – Train buff Larry Tiffany leads us off. Larry is past president of the Union Pacific Historical Society. He is past president of the Topeka chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.

Larry will share insights into making great train photos. The Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 will run from Kansas City Union Station to Topeka on November 19. On November 20 the train will run from Topeka to Salina. Larry will share tips on locations for those who want make photos as the engine steams across Kansas. Learn some safety tips, good photo angles and other subject ideas.

Mike Worswick, president of Wolfe’s Camera will offer insight into photo making tools and tips to create the best images possible. Mike comes from a history of a grandfather and two uncles who were active in the Santa Fe shops during the steam era. Mike will discuss using exposure controls, lens choices and more to ensure that you get wonderful photos in the limited time available. He will discuss camera angles and photo opportunities beyond just an engine photo.

Our presenters will answer questions to get you ready for this rare photo opportunity.

Photo Walk Gathering November 19 (pick your own arrival time)

Engine 4014 arrives at the Great Overland Station, 701 North Kansas Avenue at 11:45 am on November 19. This special train will travel over Union Pacific main line tracks. It is possible that it will arrive late or possibly a bit early with luck. We recommend parking North of the Union Pacific tracks in the NOTO district. There is likely to be a large crowd. Arrive early to get parking and your starting photo location staked out. The size of the engine will be much better to photograph from the north side of the station. Our Friday afternoon presenters will discuss the challenges of black engine photography at high noon. Join members of the Wolfe’s Camera team for this photo outing. Look for our Wolfe’s shirts North of the UP tracks.

The UP Big Boy train will spend the night in Topeka at NW Norris and Clay streets. Speaker Larry Tiffany will be offer insight into the accessibility to make photos at this stop. Train scheduled to depart Topeka 8 am on November 20.

There are lots of photo opportunities in the historic NOTO district. So arrive early and have a great picture making day. There are photo opportunities on the South side of the tracks as well. Just be certain to be North before the train arrives.

There are close-by dining options following your photo shoot. Just Google “Noto restaurants Topeka” NOTO Burrito, The Wheel Barrel, and Bradley’s Corner Café are all in easy walking distance north of the Overland Station. The Pad (one of Topeka’s most popular local hamburger and more fast food restaurant) is 5 minutes North of the station by auto on Topeka Boulevard.

free activity no registration required

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-15-2019 at 04:18 AM.
11-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
found information on where the " Big Guy " will be in different parts of the Country on different dates

UP: Steam Schedule

QuoteQuote:
2019 Union Pacific Steam Schedule
Coming out to see our steam locomotives in person? Stand back at least 25 feet from all railroad tracks. Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and right-of-way are private property - please do not trespass. Never assume tracks are abandoned or inactive - ALWAYS expect a train. Read more safety tips

Celebrating the 150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Railroad’s Completion
Union Pacific’s historic Big Boy steam locomotive No. 4014 is touring the Union Pacific system throughout 2019 to commemorate the transcontinental railroad's 150th anniversary.

The Big Boy’s return to the rails is the product of more than two years of meticulous restoration work by the Union Pacific Steam Team. No. 4014 is the world's only operating Big Boy locomotive. Due to the dynamic nature of these operations, running times and scheduled stops are subject to change. The most accurate steam schedule information always will be located on this page.

Join the Union Pacific Steam Club to be notified of major schedule updates. Small schedule changes will be communicated immediately via the UP Steam Club Facebook Group and the @UP_Steam Twitter feed located at twitter.com/up_steam.
11-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't make it but sounds like a great activity. I would certainly attend if I were in the area. Hope others can attend and post photos.
11-09-2019, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For those attending and looking for a good meal

Bradley's Corner Cafe is a local favorite known for their home made pies, cinnamon rolls and breakfasts

Bradley's Corner Cafe - Topeka, Kansas

it doesn't seat many people tho

I highly recommend it

11-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wish I good make one of those stops, but all are too far away.
11-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I can tell, the train ought to rumble by pretty close to my house a couple of days before Thanksgiving, so I have to start scouting locations.
11-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well I attended the meeting

most discussion was history of the engine

and where you might catch the train on the move

strongly suggested not to try follow train, large slow moving parade of cars could be expected

train coming in from the east with strong sun and no clouds expected

it was suggested using mirrorless instead of DSLR and bracketing exposure setting on DSLR

and to capture the train from the south if possible

with something to show scale if possible

will remain in Topeka overnight but whether there will be access is unknown

11-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well I went and enjoyed myself for the most part

[ pet peeve time: don't tell me there are rules and they will be enforced and then do not enforcement. I was told I had to be behind a fence 25 feet away from the tracks. on the other side of the tracks, parking lots and no fence but same rule. got there 2 hours plus before scheduled time, and grabbed where I wanted to be. Of course the crowd came from the other side and stood on or right next to the tracks. I was told they would be moved, and of course no effort made at all to move them. ]

so my photos have plenty of people to use as scale

I changed my position for the last three photos

K 3 II + SMC Pentax-DA * 55 F1.4 SDM

[ Other photos of the event are scattered in other threads of the forums ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-20-2019 at 09:52 AM.
11-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I decided that a nearby bridge would give me an OK viewing platform. There were six or seven people with the same idea, so no crowd issues. Second shot is with a Pentax-A 200mm f4. I used two cameras instead of switching lenses.

11-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I decided that a nearby bridge would give me an OK viewing platform. There were six or seven people with the same idea, so no crowd issues. Second shot is with a Pentax-A 200mm f4. I used two cameras instead of switching lenses.

nice

where did you capture the photos ?
11-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peoria and 37th street in Denver on this map:

Google Maps

The link might show a Streetview photo of the post I was next to, shooting southeast. Another person on the bridge was able to take shots of the train leaving a stop 30 miles east in Strasburg and make it back to Denver, which I should have tried. I didn't think it would work, and knew this bridge would be easy to get to.