Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for Avebury.

The locals are friendly.

12-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes... it is very atmospheric.
We managed to rent a National Trust cottage that sits at the edge of the village, but still inside the henge, for New Year 2017. Very peaceful being away from it all

In fact, the cottage we rented is the one at extreme left in your image Sandy

Last edited by W412ren; 12-11-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: additional text
12-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I was there in July 2016, and organised a sunset visit after the park was closed, allowing access to the inside of the stone circle. If you have time to organise it, do it! I used Mad Max tours.

DFA15-30 @ 22mm on the K-1

@ 15mm

DA10-17 @10mm on the K-1 (crop mode)

From further back, but still inside the rope. DA*55 on the K-1 (FF mode)

So essentially, if you're looking for primes on a crop camera, 35mm (maybe even 40mm) will get the whole stone ring in the frame from the security rope. Something a bit wider would be perfect if you want a bit of wriggle room. I reckon he DA21 would be perfect, especially with its flare resistance. The DA15 would be too wide.

Personally, despite the fact that light will be scarce at that time of year, I'd pack a zoom (18-55, 16-85, 18-135 - whatever you have) because I imagine there will be quite a bit of competition for positions. We had the privilege of avoiding that - there were only 16 of us in the whole area
Very nice shots and gear!
12-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
This is an image from January 2017 as the sun is coming up, K3 with the DA14
Thanks for the additional information. You are going to make me pack the DA 14 mm aren't you!

12-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
Thanks for the additional information. You are going to make me pack the DA 14 mm aren't you!
Why not? It's really not that big or heavy - only relative to the DA15/21
01-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just got back from the trip but without any photos to show (yet). My brother chauffeured us around, which saved me having to remember how to shift with the left hand. After visiting Stonehenge we stopped for dinner before he dropped us at the airport. Since his van had a broken window, he placed the camera under the seat so it would be out of sight while we were in the pub. As you can probably guess, in the rush to unload at the airport, the camera got left under the seat. By the time I realized, he had driven off and I was unable to contact him again until too late. Anyway, he is going to backup the photos and mail the SD card (e-mailing the raw files would be a challenge). I felt pretty stupid but at least I don't have to take a camera body on the next trip (also glad I have a backup here).

We went to Stonehenge on January 2nd and it was surprisingly busy, with a long line to get the bus to the stones. The weather was typical for the time of year, cold and breezy, with a lot of clouds and a light misty drizzle for good measure (no golden sunset this time). At the closest point to the stones, the path was so crowded with selfie takers that it was impossible to get a good shot. I would suspect a wide angle would have been needed here to get everything in the shot. On the other sides, the path was further from the stones and I was able to get everything in using both the FA 35 mm or FA 50 mm depending on the spot. The light was not great, so the ISO had to be higher than I would have liked. I did try putting the K-70 down on the ground and using the pixel shift resolution, so we will see how that worked (I definitely had to wipe the drizzle off the front element after that).

Thanks again for everyone's input. Once I get the files I will try and post some shots.