Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 04:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Using Flash prohibited outdoors

I was reading up on the Galapagos Islands dreaming about the trip I will probably never take but would love to. I saw it noted that Flash was prohibited as the animals react very poorly to it there.. I don't use flash much outdoors for wildlife but it got me wondering what other outdoor parks,preserves etc that have the same rules..

Have you been anywhere outdoors where Flash was not allowed.. particularly in wildlife photography.

Al

12-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wildlife photography does not seem to be a logical application to me for the use of flash.

Most of the time the distance to the subject is rather large.
Under those circumstances the flash is not efficient.
12-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Wildlife photography does not seem to be a logical application to me for the use of flash.

Most of the time the distance to the subject is rather large.
Under those circumstances the flash is not efficient.
Quite a few people use flash extenders for wildlife. I've used the af-540-fgz on squirrel shots.

I've known of no restrictions on flash use except in zoos etc.
12-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps a reflector is acceptable?

12-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flash is prohibited in the Hurst Castle in California - the National Park Department who maintains the castle is worried about fading the contents. Some areas are darkly lighted but shouldn't pose a problem for modern DSLRs and their increased sensitivity.

With regards to the original question, perhaps high output LED lighting would suffice in place of flash since it's continuous, but I would check beforehand. It could be that any strong lighting is an issue.
12-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Use of flash indoor can affect multiple thinks but I do not get how outdoor photography with flash could disturb animals. Using a diffuser is maybe an option to not have this sudden ray of light effect
12-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Use of flash indoor can affect multiple thinks but I do not get how outdoor photography with flash could disturb animals. Using a diffuser is maybe an option to not have this sudden ray of light effect
Recall these animals are very tame and not that people savvy. They might react poorly to painful light. Just a thought.

As far as indoor paintings and such - I have seen that restriction many times.

11-10-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Admiral
Loyal Site Supporter

Several parks in Colombia do not allow the use of flashes, to the point that
you canīt even use them to photograph plants. Plants - that is a well known
fact - react to light with ... photosynthesis. Many parks in Central America
and Mexico donīt allow the use of tripods, because they are considered
professional equipment and require a special permit issued by central
government, or a ridiculous fee of USD 50.00 - 100.00 per day
12-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #9

Would never use a flash at Galapagos, but am pretty sure that diffuse light from a bounced flash is not an Extinction Level Event. A mob of ecotourists is what scares me.
In my experience, the frightened "deer in the headlights" survivor is safer than the "deer in the fender" roadkill.
02-11-2021, 05:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Do they not have thunderstorms there ? Surely use of a flash is analogous to natural lightning ? Maybe they are worried about the effect of multiple flash usage simultaneously, and feel a blanket ban is best for the wildlife.