Best Mirrorless Cameras for Travel

What is the best cameras for travel?

01-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

not sure what you mean by " travel "

in case you haven't discover it yet, you can find reviews of all of the mirrorless Pentax camera bodies here:

Pentax Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Cameras - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

both user reviews and in depth reviews
01-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you looking for a compact or interchangeable lens camera? What are you planning to take pictures of? Landscapes, street, city... there is no absolute recommendation.
01-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johndeer3 Quote
What is the best cameras for travel?
To be honest, this question is difficult to answer without having more insight into your preferences, budget, priorities, travel locations, etc.

Options range from very compact shirt pocket-sized cameras to larger full kits that include several lenses and other accessories. Some folks are happy taking 'travel pictures' with the camera in their smartphone, while others prefer higher quality images and don't mind carrying a heavier, bulkier kit. Depending on one's interests and preferences, any of these choices could be ideal.

The location and genre of photography also play a role in determining the 'best' camera. For example, if the travel involves taking pictures of birds or other wildlife, then an interchangeable lens camera with a telephoto lens might be ideal, as might be something like a Nikon Coolpix P1000. On the other hand, if the location involves mainly 'street' photography, a small compact camera like the Ricoh GR III offers a highly-portable and discreet option.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-20-2020 at 02:35 PM. Reason: correct name for Ricoh GR
01-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
By my analysis, a mirrorless camera isn’t a lot lighter than a DSLR for a typical 3 lens traveling kit. It is lighter, but you save maybe half a pound total carry weight vs a DSLR, and they cost more.

My travel kit of choice would be a K-70, the 16-50, 55-300, and a Sigma 8-16. I would add a fast prime also. My choice is the FA43, or sometimes the FA31, but there are less expensive choices too.

If you want absolute minimum weight, use your phone.
01-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with the other posters

in order to give the OP good advice, more information needs to be given

as an example - when choosing what to take on a trip, I start with anticipated " targets "

going to see wildlife, I choose different lenses than if I was going to do " street " photography
01-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
By my analysis, a mirrorless camera isnít a lot lighter than a DSLR for a typical 3 lens traveling kit. It is lighter, but you save maybe half a pound total carry weight vs a DSLR, and they cost more.

My travel kit of choice would be a K-70, the 16-50, 55-300, and a Sigma 8-16. I would add a fast prime also. My choice is the FA43, or sometimes the FA31, but there are less expensive choices too.

If you want absolute minimum weight, use your phone.
Depends on the brand and what compromises in quality (optical and build) you are willing to make. A Sony A6X00 with 16-50 mini kit lens and 55-200 kit tele weighs about as much as a KP body, so you are shaving off about 400 g with the same lenses.
01-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

[quote=Kozlok;4904729]By my analysis, a mirrorless camera isn’t a lot lighter than a DSLR for a typical 3 lens traveling kit. It is lighter, but you save maybe half a pound total carry weight vs a DSLR, and they cost more.

My travel kit of choice would be a K-70, the 16-50, 55-300, and a Sigma 8-16. I would add a fast prime also. My choice is the FA43, or sometimes the FA31, but there are less expensive choices too. [quote/]
My choice is pretty similar: K-70 (or a K-30 or K-50 if that's what you have 'cause that's what I used to use!): + my 17-70 Sigma (a bit more "reach"), the PLM and my old 10-20 Sigma - not many occasions when that didn't "fit the bill"

BTW: took a "plastic fantastic" 35mm F2.4 on one occasion but it got very little use (and so I sold it on).

01-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did have a Sony a6000 that I was using for travel, it was nice and small and probably pretty comparable to the image quality of my Pentax K-50. While I had the camera I had about four different lenses, the only one that I really liked was the Sony 20mm, it was a decent lens and was very small (a pancake lens). There were some other lenses I would liked to have but they were very expensive. I ended up getting a Pentax KP which like the Sony was 24 MP, but it just blew the Sony away in IQ and usage. Besides the the 20mm lens, the Sony didn't really offer any space savings, a little lighter weight maybe. Anyway, for travel I have a Thinktank Turnstyle 5, a very small sling bag that I can actually fit inside of a backpack to take more than just camera gear on a plane, I could also stuff a travel tripod in that backpack but that usually goes in the carry on. I could use that with the Sony and 3-4 lenses. I can also use it with the KP and 3-4 lenses. It's a little heavier with the KP, but not that much to me. Right now that bag is holding the KP with 20-40 mounted, a 55-300 PLM, and DA 15 Ltd (I'm not traveling but I keep it loaded to be ready to grab and go). I can easily add another small prime, probably 2, or a flash.

So in answer to the original question, I think the best mirrorless for travel all depends on the lenses you take, which has everything to do with the destination and photography plans. My best mirrorless is the KP in liveview. I spent a week in London in October with the KP, 20-40, 15, and F50. I didn't take the 55-300 as I did not expect to use it, and I would not have, I did not use the 50 either. I did take and use a small tripod. I will go to Tennessee next week, and will take all of the lenses I have packed now including the 55-300 since I may get time to do some landscapes, and since I am driving I will possibly take a couple more in lens cases.

Do you have a camera now? If so what is keeping it from being a travel camera?
01-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
. . . My best mirrorless is the KP in liveview. . . .

never thought the OP meant a DSLR camera body as being a " mirrorless " camera
01-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
I mean compact mirrorless camera for the travel like Sony Alpha A6000 or Nikon Z7 or Sony Alpha A7 III. Pentax variant needed or any cameras like in this article Best Mirrorless Cameras for Travel | Webproductradar.

Last edited by johndeer3; 01-27-2020 at 12:08 AM.
01-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Nikon Z7 or Sony A7 are not that compact in my book.

K-01, DA 15, 18-50 RE, and DA 70 would be a pretty small kit. Swap the 18-50 for a 20-40 for a step up in IQ at wider apertures. Change out the K-01 for a KP for a noticeable step up in every single facet of camera function save for physical size and weight of the body itself, and it's not exactly a big jump to go to the KP.

The K-01 is your only mirrorless Pentax option currently and there is no serious rumor of any upcoming mirrorless k-mount camera from Pentax.