Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Recommendations for Granada / Chefchaouen & Travel Kit

Hello All, I'm excited to be travelling to Spain in a couple of weeks, with a 2-night trip to Chefchaouen (the Blue City) in Morrocco as well.

We've booked tickets for the Alhambra in Granada, but other than that have no firm plans right now. Does anyone that has been to either have recommendations on things to see / do?

Kit-wise I'm aiming to travel light. Leaving the K-1 at home, thinking KP & 16-85mm / 55-300mm PLM, plus Ricoh GRii. Maybe 12-24mm as well?

Thanks!

02-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

Hi rosettaquarrier, about the Morocco part of the trip, just to say a little caution when taking photos there , as with most Arabic North African countries the people do not like to be photographed as they believe it captures their soul. Some will demand money if you take their photo .Also do not enter the mosques unless your Muslim . Chefchaouen is also the hashish headquarters of Morocco ,but I suspect you already know that . But your guide will make you aware of protocol when you arrive there and yes it is magnificently blue
02-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flanoman Quote
Hi rosettaquarrier, about the Morocco part of the trip, just to say a little caution when taking photos there , as with most Arabic North African countries the people do not like to be photographed as they believe it captures their soul. Some will demand money if you take their photo .Also do not enter the mosques unless your Muslim . Chefchaouen is also the hashish headquarters of Morocco ,but I suspect you already know that . But your guide will make you aware of protocol when you arrive there and yes it is magnificently blue
Thanks for the insights - my thinking is that is where the GRii will come in useful, small and discreet.
02-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Spain, have Tapas, Sangria. Watch flamenco, corida. Sight seeing also in Sevilla, Cordoba, Cadix (there are intercity train lines if I remember correctly). In Morocco, have chicken tagine, have couscous, have mint tea, being awaken at night by the call to prayer if your hotel room is near the mosque wakeup guaranted . Take the bus, go to Fes to take pictures of leather making. For the lenses, the 16-85 is perfect, 16mm is quite wide already, 85mm Ok for portraits. I've travelled there with a DA18-250, almost never used more than 100mm.

02-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice - I'm fortunate enough to be spending time with family in Spain, so travelling beyond Malaga / Granada will be limited, but the plus side is we get to go to a lot of 'locals' places. The trip is shorter than I'd like (we have also booked Chile for later in the year for the eclipse, and I'm using up vacation days rapidly...) so Fes will not happen this time.

I actually bought the 16-85mm from a forum member yesterday my thinking was it was the ideal lens for the trip.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In Spain, have Tapas, Sangria. Watch flamenco, corida. Sight seeing also in Sevilla, Cordoba, Cadix (there are intercity train lines if I remember correctly). In Morocco, have chicken tagine, have couscous, have mint tea, being awaken at night by the call to prayer if your hotel room is near the mosque wakeup guaranted . Take the bus, go to Fes to take pictures of leather making. For the lenses, the 16-85 is perfect, 16mm is quite wide already, 85mm Ok for portraits. I've travelled there with a DA18-250, almost never used more than 100mm.

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 02-19-2020 at 11:47 AM.
02-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the 16-85. It is great for handling most of the landscape I do. If you have a travel tripod, you may want to bring it for longer exposure shots.
02-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the 16-85. It is great for handling most of the landscape I do. If you have a travel tripod, you may want to bring it for longer exposure shots.
Thanks - I have a smaller Manfrotto one I may take. Not a huge fan of it, but it's better then nothing.
02-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Thanks - I have a smaller Manfrotto one I may take. Not a huge fan of it, but it's better then nothing.
It may come in handy for some instances. Sometimes that special situation may just seem to be at hand and you will have it to use. As long as it accommodates you enough, that should be good.

Have a wonderful trip.

02-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Agreed - better to have the option.

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
It may come in handy for some instances. Sometimes that special situation may just seem to be at hand and you will have it to use. As long as it accommodates you enough, that should be good.

Have a wonderful trip.
02-22-2020, 03:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rather belated reply but I enjoyed Cordoba more than Seville but the Alhambra is the best.
But take some time to just enjoy the places, on my last visit I saw at least one person who only saw the Alhambra though the lens of his camera.
02-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I do try to see the real world as well, but agreed some do not...