Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #1501
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're interested I've posted a few of the club rugby finals here-
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/111855-sports-wellington...-team-won.html

Or if you're really keen to see all of them, go here-
Chainsawphotos photo gallery - 15 August 2010 - Norths v Poneke Jubilee Cup Final

As we won a good time was had!

Plus, a very unexpected surprise. At the club prizegiving on Saturday night I was called out and got a bottle of wine to show their appreciation for me turning out in all weather to take photos *shucks*. They had a slide show of my pics going all evening on the wall.

08-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #1502
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
If you're interested I've posted a few of the club rugby finals here-
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/111855-sports-wellington...-team-won.html
Thanks for sharing. I like the panning shot most. Congrats for pulling it off.

At the club prizegiving on Saturday night I was called out and got a bottle of wine to show their appreciation for me turning out in all weather to take photos *shucks*. They had a slide show of my pics going all evening on the wall.
Congrats again!
08-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #1503
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I took my K55/1.8 out. Love the bokeh from this lens and it is bleeding sharp. At 100% the in-focus areas are still pristine.

I thought this lens might be nice for portraits but didn't expect it to be that good.

Last edited by Class A; 09-08-2010 at 04:03 AM.
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #1504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for sharing. I like the panning shot most. Congrats for pulling it off.
Fluke!

08-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #1505
Pentaxian

Plus, a very unexpected surprise. At the club prizegiving on Saturday night I was called out and got a bottle of wine to show their appreciation for me turning out in all weather to take photos *shucks*. They had a slide show of my pics going all evening on the wall.
awesome well done !
Pete
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #1506
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I took my K55/1.8 out and came across this beautiful bike.

Love the bokeh from this lens and it is bleeding sharp. At 100% the in-focus areas are still pristine.

I thought this lens might be nice for portraits but didn't expect it to be that good.

I've got more shots of the bike where these came from; let me know if you want to see 'em.
heck they look very good. Must be one hell of a camera you have there mister !

Pete
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #1507
Pentaxian

Very happy, just scored a Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 for $48.5 inc
Man I like these preset lenses. There is something about the silky stopdown
This baby is tiny thanks to the 5.6 and a bokeh monster with the 10 blades,comes with hood, caps and case circa 1962
Pete

08-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #1508
Pentaxian

Why does it have 2 aperture rings?
08-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #1509
Pentaxian

one clicks to the stop you want...the pre-set,
the other actually closes the iris without clicks
the action is soooo smooth and light, its a joy to roll it down with one finger and let Av do the exposure
08-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #1510

Hello Everyone!

I recently got a new replacement monitor from Dell (old one was a 2408WFP, they sent me a U2410), however for the first minute of using it there is a noticable green tint (but it is still within factory specs). After a little while you don't notice it anymore.

It appears it is a calibration issue and it should be possible to correct with a colour calibration device.

However, I can't exactly justify getting a $300 device just to use it once. So does anyone here know where one can rent/hire/borrow one of these devices for a day or so?
08-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #1511
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Enervation Quote
However, I can't exactly justify getting a $300 device just to use it once. So does anyone here know where one can rent/hire/borrow one of these devices for a day or so?
I wouldn't know where to borrow one in Welly, let alone ChCh.

The thing is, though, you need to re-calibrate after a while. The calibration software will remind you when it is time to calibrate again. If you don't do that then your monitor will drift away again.

I see the point of wanting to do it once, but unless you repeat the calibration regularly, you can almost just eyeball the initial calibration with some of the gamma test charts available from the web.

I borrowed a calibration device once as well and still have to do the plunge to buy one myself so I exactly know where you are coming from. Just remarking that one really should own one of these, especially if one has a good monitor.

Perhaps you can try a camera club to see whether they have a calibration device among their assets and would be prepared to lend it to you?
08-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #1512
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Very happy, just scored a Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 for $48.5 inc
Congrats. Can't believe the age it is supposed to have. It almost looks new.
08-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #1513
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Must be one hell of a camera you have there mister !
Exactly. Let's see if the K-5 will prove to be a worthy upgrade model. So far, there was no point upgrading...
08-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #1514
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enervation Quote
Hello Everyone!

I recently got a new replacement monitor from Dell (old one was a 2408WFP, they sent me a U2410), however for the first minute of using it there is a noticable green tint (but it is still within factory specs). After a little while you don't notice it anymore.
Interesting. My one is just starting to crap out too, vertical lines through it. Hopefully they will replace it with a newer model, though I've been very happy with this one, it's just over a year old and they give a 3 year warranty. Was your old one replaced under warranty? How is the new one other than the green tint? On the pull out tab info thing, at the bottom left of it does it say REV A01 or REV A02?

Have you read this? Dell U2410 Review
08-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #1515

QuoteQuote:
Interesting. My one is just starting to crap out too, vertical lines through it. Hopefully they will replace it with a newer model, though I've been very happy with this one, it's just over a year old and they give a 3 year warranty. Was your old one replaced under warranty? How is the new one other than the green tint? On the pull out tab info thing, at the bottom left of it does it say REV A01 or REV A02?
It was replaced under warranty - I too had the 3 year warranty, and I probably still have around a year left on it. It took a number of emails before anyone actually got back to me, but once I was put in touch with someone they replaced it pretty quickly.

The new one is great, the main thing I was after was a low input lag, which it is massively improved over the 2408. The colour is better, but only just. Perhaps after a proper calibration it would shine
It is a REV A01 model.
I'll have a read of that review, it sounds rather in depth so it may take a while :P

QuoteQuote:
The thing is, though, you need to re-calibrate after a while. The calibration software will remind you when it is time to calibrate again. If you don't do that then your monitor will drift away again.

I see the point of wanting to do it once, but unless you repeat the calibration regularly, you can almost just eyeball the initial calibration with some of the gamma test charts available from the web.
Hmm I didn't realize you needed to re-calibrate so often. I guess for my needs a once off might do, but you're probably right in saying I could achieve the same by spending some time with gamma test charts etc.

I've suggested to the boss that our marketing department should get such a device, maybe I'll bring it up again.