Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #15196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

For a more serious answer, and if I think where I have procured my lenses over the past 4 years - mainly TM, some here off PF Marketplace, eBay and very occasionally you will see some in the Secondhand list of the major online camera shops here in NZ. I have also purchased direct from B&H in the USA. Hayden at Southern Cameras offers good service for film and new cameras.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, keep an eye out on TM, PF Marketplace, eBay (look for Japanese or american sellers), roberts camera in the US has the website Used SLR Lenses - Pentax, they have a good selection Pentax glass at the moment, although I hate to say it, but Pentax glass is becoming quite popular again and prices are on the way up as people want it for their K-1's & KPs to reduce the footprints.. (they have a K 50mm f1.2 & 85mm f2.2 soft focus currently on the site).

07-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #15197

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
You pretty much hit the nail on the head, keep an eye out on TM, PF Marketplace, eBay (look for Japanese or american sellers), roberts camera in the US has the website Used SLR Lenses - Pentax, they have a good selection Pentax glass at the moment, although I hate to say it, but Pentax glass is becoming quite popular again and prices are on the way up as people want it for their K-1's & KPs to reduce the footprints.. (they have a K 50mm f1.2 & 85mm f2.2 soft focus currently on the site).
Thanks. Will check it out.
Yes I just joined but already feel like I can't find cheap lenses anymore. At least at similar prices than suggested here.
07-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #15198
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
Yes I just joined but already feel like I can't find cheap lenses anymore. At least at similar prices than suggested here.
Patience is the key, and beating GUB to the punch...
07-26-2018, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #15199
Pentaxian

..., and beating GUB to the punch...
many have tried to no avail

07-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #15200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
...crucially you can use the centre focus point to first identify the object of interest.
For the situations I'm thinking of, it's a challenge getting the bird in the frame, so picking moment when the (right bit of the) bird is in the centre is rather challenging. I usually only try this against the sky (and that's happily where birds – especially in flight – spend a lot of their time) but I've managed some shots with trees as a background which usually make for much better lighting and background separation, but also provide a ton of distractions for the autofocus. Given I'm often using the 55-300, the last thing I want is to give it an excuse to go to infinity, as infinity also describes how long it takes to get back in the hunt again.
07-27-2018, 12:51 AM   #15201
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Patience is the key, and beating GUB to the punch...
I am not buying many now - the price has crept up a little. I was opportunist buying things like 55mm 1.8s for 10 to 30 dollars figuring they had to go up in value. I think you could still get a tak 55mm 1.8 for $50 to 60 now don't you think?
Krebss, what is your name on TM ? I do try to check before putting my nose in but Mark especially knows I am a little impulsive at times. Putting a heads up here will tend to work for you rather than against as well
07-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #15202
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is something that didn't get a bid the other day - I was tempted but I already have 2. The Takumar Bayonets are the only lens I disagree with the poor reviews of on the lens review section here. I feel they are a sharp as the A series lenses they are contemporary with and the lack of coating is over-emphasised. All the other lens reviews give you a good overview. At $45 this lens would be good value and throw in the valueless zoom as a bonus.

Attached Images

07-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #15203
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
For the situations I'm thinking of, it's a challenge getting the bird in the frame, so picking moment when the (right bit of the) bird is in the centre is rather challenging. I usually only try this against the sky (and that's happily where birds – especially in flight – spend a lot of their time) but I've managed some shots with trees as a background which usually make for much better lighting and background separation, but also provide a ton of distractions for the autofocus. Given I'm often using the 55-300, the last thing I want is to give it an excuse to go to infinity, as infinity also describes how long it takes to get back in the hunt again.
I too have a version of that lens.
Just saying it’s better than leaving it on full auto, as who knows what that will decide is your focus point (usually the background).

I tend to use centre single focus AF.S, or the centre point selection with auto after that if I’m continuous AF.C mode.
07-27-2018, 01:42 AM   #15204

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I am not buying many now - the price has crept up a little. I was opportunist buying things like 55mm 1.8s for 10 to 30 dollars figuring they had to go up in value. I think you could still get a tak 55mm 1.8 for $50 to 60 now don't you think?
Krebss, what is your name on TM ? I do try to check before putting my nose in but Mark especially knows I am a little impulsive at times. Putting a heads up here will tend to work for you rather than against as well
Yes, there seems to be quite a few 50mm or thereabout lenses for $50 or so but it's not a focal length I really enjoy. I might get a 50 1.7 at some point though as it's seems very well rated for it's price.
I would also prefer avoiding the adapter route with M42 lenses.

I'm 'skrebs' on TradeMe

---------- Post added 07-27-18 at 01:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Here is something that didn't get a bid the other day - I was tempted but I already have 2. The Takumar Bayonets are the only lens I disagree with the poor reviews of on the lens review section here. I feel they are a sharp as the A series lenses they are contemporary with and the lack of coating is over-emphasised. All the other lens reviews give you a good overview. At $45 this lens would be good value and throw in the valueless zoom as a bonus.
I've been looking regularly but can't remember seeing that one, not sure why.

There was a nice KX with 4 great lenses that I was hoping the seller would do a fixed price offer on, which he did but was snapped within minutes
07-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #15205
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
I might get a 50 1.7 at some point though as it's seems very well rated for it's price.
Good idea. Thing is once you have tried a prime or 2 you will make a choice whether to use them exclusively or not. It is a rare thing for a zoom to be attached to my K1. So to adapt you need something like the old simple SLR range of 28mm,50mm and 135. (possibly in this apsc age a 40mm instead of the 50.) I have just done the Canadian Rockies for a month, tramping most days. Took the FF K1 with A28mm, M40mm, A50mm, Rikenon 105mm macro and a K400mm. Never used the 40 rarely used the 50 and the 400 and never felt under equipped. Of course I just stitch anything that requires wider than 28mm.
And just in case you had any doubts in the performance of this old glass take a look at these Ephotozine charts I posted elsewhere here a month or so ago. That 1960s 8 element Tak stands tall. And you can see why this genera of lenses were such great workhorses - wide open with only centre sharpness for portraiture and f2.8 onwards sharp as! Ephotozine has done a tak55 f2 as well and it was great too.
Post 156
Primes and Zooms... where do Pentaxians stand in 2018? - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com
07-27-2018, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #15206
Pentaxian

I should sell something
It's a crime having the 50/1.2 and the siggy 8-16 just sitting in the drawer
07-27-2018, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #15207
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I should sell something
It's a crime having the 50/1.2 and the siggy 8-16 just sitting in the drawer
It is not the drawer that is the issue - it is the dreaded fungi lurking around that makes it a liability keeping lenses for the sake of having them.
07-28-2018, 03:08 AM   #15208
Pentaxian

nervously shuffles through silica gel bags
07-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #15209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure they’re blue (stare angrily at them)
07-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #15210
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A good old workhorse at an honest price
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 K-mount lens | Trade Me