Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
Looks like you have to be quick. Gone already
It was a very fair price for an M50/1.7 in good condition
07-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #15213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You’re unfortunately competing with mirrorless cameras a bit now too, these are great lenses that appeal to many.
07-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #15214
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
You’re unfortunately competing with mirrorless cameras a bit now too, these are great lenses that appeal to many.
Are they that keen on the Kmounts? Do they adapt as well as M42?

07-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #15215
Veteran Member

The K mount lenses work pretty well adapted to Sony FE mount, i haven't tried adapting to Micro 4/3 or Fuji X but i imagine they would work pretty well. Thanks to cameras like the KX & ME's the small form factor of Pentax makes the adapter requirements not so huge compared to the likes of Canon & Nikon glass
07-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #15216
Veteran Member

Manual lenses on m43 work quite well, allowing for the halving of field of view - Auto lenses I haven't found a decent adapter yet.
07-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #15217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Are they that keen on the Kmounts? Do they adapt as well as M42?
The likes of Sony Mirrorless E mount will adapt to pretty much anything. The flange to sensor distance is tiny on a mirrorless, so K or M42 are easy to pack out and get right, at least in terms of manual focus.

As above, getting AF isn't easy for Pentax, as there just isn't the support, but some support aperture control. Canon adaptors that support AF are very popular.

07-30-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #15218
Veteran Member

Expanding for no useful purpose - AF, and auto aperture, and a few other things aren't terribly hard to do, it's entirely possible to develop, but there isn't a massive market, and anything that is done would immediately be ripped off by other markets.

Makes it a pretty hard sell to develop products to do this stuff.

In other news, I'm quite excited by the APK for ricoh control being released - That's currently way more interesting to me (think custom tethering software).
- Link -
There's links in that thread to Python and C++ code samples.

If you don't know what this means then be excited for us that do (in my case only a wee bit, but nevertheless) - means we can make a computer talk to pentax cameras, get them to do stuff - astronomy, product stuff, stop motion, facial recognition, and stuff, not to mention stuff, and more stuff, all the stuff... potentially (muah ha ha?).
07-31-2018, 02:33 AM   #15219
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax ME Camera | Trade Me
Price marginal but there is not many of these come up - maybe one a year.
Reviews are a bit maudling but this is a more positive thread. I show some comparisons at post 36
Is the 40mm 2.8 Pancake really that bad? - PentaxForums.com
07-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #15220
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Expanding for no useful purpose - AF, and auto aperture, and a few other things aren't terribly hard to do, it's entirely possible to develop, but there isn't a massive market, and anything that is done would immediately be ripped off by other markets.

Makes it a pretty hard sell to develop products to do this stuff.

In other news, I'm quite excited by the APK for ricoh control being released - That's currently way more interesting to me (think custom tethering software).
- Link -
There's links in that thread to Python and C++ code samples.

If you don't know what this means then be excited for us that do (in my case only a wee bit, but nevertheless) - means we can make a computer talk to pentax cameras, get them to do stuff - astronomy, product stuff, stop motion, facial recognition, and stuff, not to mention stuff, and more stuff, all the stuff... potentially (muah ha ha?).
Python will be good for ease of development, while C++ for performance, so it's a good choice of options. They could release some PHP code and then Pentax could become expensive webcams. ...although I guess Python will probably allow that as there are quite a few python web frameworks
07-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #15221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Pentax ME Camera | Trade Me
Price marginal but there is not many of these come up - maybe one a year.
Reviews are a bit maudling but this is a more positive thread. I show some comparisons at post 36
Is the 40mm 2.8 Pancake really that bad? - PentaxForums.com
hmmmm, interesting... does the Power Winder have good battery contacts ie no corrosion (many i have seen come through the shop have had corroded battery contacts making them useless) and same for the big Sunpak... is it functioning well, does it have recycle issues or problems in the battery compartment?
07-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #15222
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
hmmmm, interesting... does the Power Winder have good battery contacts ie no corrosion (many i have seen come through the shop have had corroded battery contacts making them useless) and same for the big Sunpak... is it functioning well, does it have recycle issues or problems in the battery compartment?
I was only pointing it out for the 40mm pancake. The flash would have to be checked for trigger voltage anyway.
07-31-2018, 09:51 PM   #15223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Python will be good for ease of development, while C++ for performance, so it's a good choice of options. They could release some PHP code and then Pentax could become expensive webcams. ...although I guess Python will probably allow that as there are quite a few python web frameworks
I'm more interested in C++ for hardware interfaces. Python would be good for scripting stuff though.
08-01-2018, 05:08 PM - 3 Likes   #15224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I'm more interested in C++ for hardware interfaces. Python would be good for scripting stuff though.
Yeah I was pretty good at C+'s when i was at university too.
08-01-2018, 09:07 PM   #15225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
in good condition
Timaru looks to Auckland to tackle labour shortage | Stuff.co.nz

Interesting piece Ross.