08-25-2018, 03:18 AM   #15272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yep that be an FA 1.7...nice
08-25-2018, 03:27 AM   #15273

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Think it is FA 50 1.7 Pentax SFXn | Trade Me
Most likely.
I'm quite guttered as the guy had a lovely collection of Canon film gear which I was super keen on and just as I made, what I thought to be a low but reasonable offer ($400 while it was probably worth more like $600), he had already accept $150 like 5min ago Listings weren't even there since an hour.
I'm keen on the 50mm but won't go crazy as it's a focal length I've always struggled with.
08-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #15274
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebss Quote
Most likely.
I'm quite guttered as the guy had a lovely collection of Canon film gear which I was super keen on and just as I made, what I thought to be a low but reasonable offer ($400 while it was probably worth more like $600), he had already accept $150 like 5min ago Listings weren't even there since an hour.
I'm keen on the 50mm but won't go crazy as it's a focal length I've always struggled with.
Yeah but one day you might go FF!!
Having said that I prefer my A 50 1.7s. I think it is the precision of focusing when you get used to MF

08-25-2018, 04:31 AM   #15275
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi GUB,

did you see my earlier post?
08-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #15276
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Hi GUB,

did you see my earlier post?
Yeah and I didn't respond - sorry!. Na I need the OK button for LV magnification. Or is there a workaround for that? Once you push it you can zoom out with the rear edial but it takes the OK button to initialise. I put in a post in one of those firmware upgrade threads once but didn't get a response from anyone thinking it was an issue - guess I am the only hamfisted one out there!!. All it needs is on option without the "OK" included.
08-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #15277
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Na I need the OK button for LV magnification. Or is there a workaround for it?
The workaround would be to unlock every time you need the OK button and then to lock again.

Can't think of anything else.

08-26-2018, 04:16 AM   #15278
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The workaround would be to unlock every time you need the OK button and then to lock again.

Can't think of anything else.
You would think it would be a nobrainer menu option to disable all the buttons that are largely irrelevant to Raw processing. You would still be able to access them via the menu system should need to change them for some weird reason. Yes I know there can be a small advantage for the Raw developer to open at roughly the right colour temperature etc but I value having a consistent start point more - not finding you have accidentally bumped the colour setting to bright half way through your shoot. Even the shutter option button could be disabled with the options available in the menu (or on the new mode dial on the K1) The other day i was confused as hell - I kept getting ghost images remaining on the screen - I thought the memory card or something had crapped out!! Na - I had bumped the shutter option to multiexposure - took me ages to find coz I don't use it and didn't know it was there.
08-26-2018, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #15279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gotta love the high ISO capabilities of the latest bodies (I know, I know, ISO invariance). The wife and I went to Zealandia again on Sunday (my third visit). I really wanted to spot some tieke (saddleback), and I did — just — but the highlight of the visit was a very close encounter with a pair of hihi (stitchbird).

ISO9000 (I let it float from 100-9000), f/8, 1/90th. The little fella got within a metre of me at one point. The lens was my kit 18-135.

Also for those interested in a recent discussion on watermarks, this image shows my latest incarnation.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #15280
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Gotta love the high ISO capabilities of the latest bodies (I know, I know, ISO invariance). The wife and I went to Zealandia again on Sunday (my third visit). I really wanted to spot some tieke (saddleback), and I did — just — but the highlight of the visit was a very close encounter with a pair of hihi (stitchbird).

ISO9000 (I let it float from 100-9000), f/8, 1/90th. The little fella got within a metre of me at one point. The lens was my kit 18-135.

Also for those interested in a recent discussion on watermarks, this image shows my latest incarnation.
Impressive for that high ISO. I'd be quite happy with ISO6400 as that would cover most of what I want to do. It certainly makes a case for a body upgrade in the near future.

Given how much less than expected I got the big Tamron for, it just about puts the KP back in contention again, although I think the K-70 and KP are both pretty good for high ISO looking at the reviews, and the more substantial grip on the k-70 might feel a bit more secure with something like an RPG launcher hanging off the front.

I've actually used TAV mode a bit recently with auto ISO between 100-1600 on the K-50 and found it quite handy. I still probably prefer AV mode most of the time, but in situations where subject types can change quickly, having the control wheels set for shutter and aperture, it makes it much faster to change settings between more of a landscape type image and an action shot, which can happen quite easily if you're going for a walk in bush with bird life around. In AV mode, I have a dial set for ISO and one for aperture, so if I need to dial up the shutter speed in a hurry it can be a bit more hit and miss, if I quickly want a specific minimum shutter speed.
08-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #15281
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You gotta be happy with that shot!
The shot brings up something I notice with small birds. Look at the eyes,beak ,feet - they are tack sharp. And yet the body despite being on the same plane of focus doesn't appear quite as sharp. Is it just an illusion because of the feather texture or do they perhaps tremor a little with their tiny but super high metabolisms.
As for Iso-invariance- naaa --- hi Iso performance is not what that is about. It is about the ability to apply image gain in the computer afterwards. Requirements - Raw and Manual settings. It is a subtle to no change in outright image quality but makes for quite a mindset change out shooting. The only gain in this image from utilising it would be the ability to retains perhaps some detail in the white blaze.
08-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #15282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Impressive for that high ISO.
I should note that shot is "fully processed" including significant noise reduction. The beauty of the situation is that the noise I see from high ISO on the KP is actually quite pleasant to look at. Not like what I used to get when pushing the K10D. That was just ugly. Below is a full-sized sample direct from the DNG where the noise is most obvious. I do still reduce it, but it's easy to pass off as texture up to a point.

---------- Post added 08-27-2018 at 11:29 AM ----------

You gotta be happy with that shot!
Indeed! It wasn't the only good shot, either. Most of the fails were down to partial obstruction behind foliage — my approach in such situations is take plenty and hopefully some will work!

The shot brings up something I notice with small birds. Look at the eyes,beak ,feet - they are tack sharp. And yet the body despite being on the same plane of focus doesn't appear quite as sharp. Is it just an illusion because of the feather texture or do they perhaps tremor a little with their tiny but super high metabolisms.
I have seen that, and I think you're probably right. I've got a shot of a tui that's super sharp, including where you can see the edges of the primaries, but the white bits are somewhat fuzzy. I think it's down to overall resolution. An edge can be super sharp at low resolution far moreso than a fine line.

As for Iso-invariance- naaa --- hi Iso performance is not what that is about. It is about the ability to apply image gain in the computer afterwards. Requirements - Raw and Manual settings. It is a subtle to no change in outright image quality but makes for quite a mindset change out shooting. The only gain in this image from utilising it would be the ability to retains perhaps some detail in the white blaze.
Yeah, not for me, I don't think. And yes, the blaze was the one properly blown area. Not that I was too concerned with that!
Attached Images

Last edited by zkarj; 08-26-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
08-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #15283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had another look at the shot and decided some of my processing had adversely affected the feather texture. So I have gone back and brushed out the damaging processing from the feather area, as well as brushing in some sharpening. I'm not sure it has a huge effect at this size, where the scale is causing some of the blur, but on my 2000 pixel version it looks markedly crisper.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #15284
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Think it is FA 50 1.7 Pentax SFXn | Trade Me
Someone has an autobid on that.
08-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #15285
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I had another look at the shot and decided some of my processing had adversely affected the feather texture. So I have gone back and brushed out the damaging processing from the feather area, as well as brushing in some sharpening. I'm not sure it has a huge effect at this size, where the scale is causing some of the blur, but on my 2000 pixel version it looks markedly crisper.
Yes that has made a difference - was it denoise?