Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #15481
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Blenheim doesn't just grow grapes. We have some rather nice native sun orchids on the hills behind the town too. Taken with my Sigma 17-70.

---------- Post added 11-23-18 at 03:02 PM ----------

At full res I think you'd need something like Google Maps technology to break them up into tiles so they can load in chunks as you scroll around.
Very nice pic... And yes you are right, something to tile the images would be very helpful at that size haha,... a JPEG image is around 95mb in size.
Speaking of Blenheim, how many of us are planning to go to Classic Fighters at Omaka next year? We should get a Pentaxian meeting together

11-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #15482
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Murphy's Law ... There was a 10-20mm going on Trademe, and I wasn't sure if I had the money. By the time someone had paid their invoice and I figured I did have the money, all the other lenses by the same person re-listed, and I figured I could afford one, but it was the one that would be most useful as it would give me something at the extreme wide end, but it was the one lens that sold! Ah well, no explaining to my wife to do.

---------- Post added 11-24-18 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
Very nice pic... And yes you are right, something to tile the images would be very helpful at that size haha,... a JPEG image is around 95mb in size.
Speaking of Blenheim, how many of us are planning to go to Classic Fighters at Omaka next year? We should get a Pentaxian meeting together
I'm pretty sure I'll be there... it's just about walking distance, and probably someone from our family will volunteer. Both the show itself and the volunteering are fun.

If anyone's tossing up days, and aren't sure if they can afford the full weekend, remember they always blow something up on Sunday so if you can only do one day, that's probably the pick, although obviously if you can afford the whole weekend great.

Another thing I've discovered, which show organisers don't particularly like, but is quite handy photographically, is walking along the river bank, which is quite scenic in its own right, you get a good, unobstructed view of aircraft landing, without having to pay.

Personally what I've tended to do sometimes in the past is pay one day to support the show, but if I can't afford the full show, on the other day view from the river bank. That provides two different perspectives, isn't too expensive, and still supports the show.
WWI aircraft, you really need to pay, as they're too small to see from a distance and stick very much over the airfield.

I think Easter is the last weekend that the Molesworth Road is open, so if anyone is coming up from the south, that would make an epic road trip on the way. It's certainly doable by 2WD, but there's a nasty, deep, unmarked ford on a nice long straight not long after you get over the hill from Hanmer, which won't do the bottom of your car much good if you come cruising up to it at a decent speed.
11-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #15483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I've about had my fill of local air shows for a while. As ever, it's 84 of the most expensive kilometres in NZ away from me. However, it would be a tad more expensive in 2019 as I'll be almost exactly 100 times that distance away at the time.

There's also Wairarapa, but they've well and truly deviated from their previously tried and trusted formula now, so I'm none to keen on that one either, despite its relative accessibility for me.
11-25-2018, 01:47 AM   #15484
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I think I've about had my fill of local air shows for a while. As ever, it's 84 of the most expensive kilometres in NZ away from me. However, it would be a tad more expensive in 2019 as I'll be almost exactly 100 times that distance away at the time.

There's also Wairarapa, but they've well and truly deviated from their previously tried and trusted formula now, so I'm none to keen on that one either, despite its relative accessibility for me.
That's exactly why I'm not heading north over the summer holidays, even though I have free accommodation with my little bro in the Wairarapa.

Even with petrol prices high, I can just about circumnavigate the South Island for the price of a return trip across Cook Strait with the family and vehicle.

I think for a few days, it's actually cheaper picking up a rental car than taking your own vehicle.

11-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #15485
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I think Easter is the last weekend that the Molesworth Road is open, so if anyone is coming up from the south, that would make an epic road trip on the way. It's certainly doable by 2WD, but there's a nasty, deep, unmarked ford on a nice long straight not long after you get over the hill from Hanmer, which won't do the bottom of your car much good if you come cruising up to it at a decent speed.
Did it a few years ago in my long Commodore wagon, easy peasy, though that particular ford I think I went through a little more on an angle.
11-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #15486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Did it a few years ago in my long Commodore wagon, easy peasy, though that particular ford I think I went through a little more on an angle.
I am reminded of a family holiday many years ago in the Triumph 2500 PI. Dad decided on a side trip to some house where a relative had lived in the past, from memory somewhere eastward from the Wairau Valley. I think Mum convinced him to give up when we got to the ford and he ordered everyone out of the car to maximise chances of making it through.

Dad thought the Akatarawa Road was fun. I've driven the whole thing once (U.Hutt to Waikanae) and half of it once (Waikanae to the lookout and back). I don't think I'll ever do it again.
11-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #15487
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not been for some years even though it's very close to home. Keen to know what you mean about the formula? On a personal note, I find it expensive for what's on offer.

11-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #15488
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dad thought the Akatarawa Road was fun. I've driven the whole thing once (U.Hutt to Waikanae) and half of it once (Waikanae to the lookout and back). I don't think I'll ever do it again.
Your dad was right. It's a lovely road. I've driven it many times.
11-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #15489
Pentaxian

I am reminded of a family holiday many years ago in the Triumph 2500 PI. Dad decided on a side trip to some house where a relative had lived in the past, from memory somewhere eastward from the Wairau Valley. I think Mum convinced him to give up when we got to the ford and he ordered everyone out of the car to maximise chances of making it through.

Speaking of crazy road trips, that reminds me of one of the other spots around Marlborough. I did a blog post a few months back, with a few photos from my K-50 of course.

The Road to Nowhere - Marlborough's Road on the Richmond Range
11-25-2018, 06:39 PM   #15490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've not been for some years even though it's very close to home. Keen to know what you mean about the formula? On a personal note, I find it expensive for what's on offer.
The formula was:
* Wellington Anniversary weekend
* Two days virtually the same, with gate sales

Now...
* In February, so no-one gets the Monday off afterwards.
* Saturday is probably out for a lot of people because of how late it runs
* No idea if there are gate sales (some recent shows did not have them)

The old formula meant I could decide on the Saturday or Sunday pretty much at the last minute, based on weather.

The last NZ air show I genuinely enjoyed and had NO issues with was Whenuapai Open Day in 2009. Omaka comes second (last went in 2017), followed by Wairarapa (last went in 2015), and lastly Ohakea (last attempt to go failed within sight of the airfield!)

I'd go to another Whenuapai one. I might be persuaded to try Ohakea depending on a lot of factors. I'd far rather save my pennies and go to Avalon or take a trip to the UK and fit in a few.
11-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #15491
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The formula was:
* Wellington Anniversary weekend
* Two days virtually the same, with gate sales

Now...
* In February, so no-one gets the Monday off afterwards.
* Saturday is probably out for a lot of people because of how late it runs
* No idea if there are gate sales (some recent shows did not have them)

The old formula meant I could decide on the Saturday or Sunday pretty much at the last minute, based on weather.

The last NZ air show I genuinely enjoyed and had NO issues with was Whenuapai Open Day in 2009. Omaka comes second (last went in 2017), followed by Wairarapa (last went in 2015), and lastly Ohakea (last attempt to go failed within sight of the airfield!)

I'd go to another Whenuapai one. I might be persuaded to try Ohakea depending on a lot of factors. I'd far rather save my pennies and go to Avalon or take a trip to the UK and fit in a few.
Ah, yes. I remember it used to be in January. No idea why they changed it.
11-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #15492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ah, yes. I remember it used to be in January. No idea why they changed it.
They moved the 2017 show to "align with" the Ohakea show, and in the process made it clash with Art Deco in Napier. Dunno what their excuse is this time – I've not heard any news of anything at Ohakea next year.

Much as I respect the amount of work that goes into these shows, I do wonder who is the "person in charge of good ideas" and whether they are qualified. I guess they're trying to appeal to a wider/different audience. Well... it's working in the sense that this audience is no longer interested, so I guess some other audience is.

---------- Post added 11-26-2018 at 04:44 PM ----------

It's worth noting that Wairarapa has been very well supported by the punters since they formalised the (now previous) format back in 1999. I cannot recall going to one with good weather that wasn't suitably crowded. Bad weather, of course, will put a damper on it regardless.
11-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #15493
Veteran Member

They moved the 2017 show to "align with" the Ohakea show, and in the process made it clash with Art Deco in Napier. Dunno what their excuse is this time – I've not heard any news of anything at Ohakea next year.

Much as I respect the amount of work that goes into these shows, I do wonder who is the "person in charge of good ideas" and whether they are qualified. I guess they're trying to appeal to a wider/different audience. Well... it's working in the sense that this audience is no longer interested, so I guess some other audience is.

---------- Post added 11-26-2018 at 04:44 PM ----------

It's worth noting that Wairarapa has been very well supported by the punters since they formalised the (now previous) format back in 1999. I cannot recall going to one with good weather that wasn't suitably crowded. Bad weather, of course, will put a damper on it regardless.
Last years Ohakea was the 80th Anniversary show for the RNZAF, it was timed so aircraft that were at Avalon could easily make it across the ditch and participate, such as the A400M, and the USAF contingent.
It will also be about availability of other airplanes as well, the Tauranga show was always very close to the Wairarapa show so some who went to one, did not go to the other, the expense of operating warbirds is pretty horrendous, Yak-52s for example are considered cheap to run but still run $400+ per hour to operate, you get to P-40, Mustang levels and they are in the region of $2000 per hour to operate.
11-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #15494
Pentaxian

Last years Ohakea was the 80th Anniversary show for the RNZAF, it was timed so aircraft that were at Avalon could easily make it across the ditch and participate, such as the A400M, and the USAF contingent.
It will also be about availability of other airplanes as well, the Tauranga show was always very close to the Wairarapa show so some who went to one, did not go to the other, the expense of operating warbirds is pretty horrendous, Yak-52s for example are considered cheap to run but still run $400+ per hour to operate, you get to P-40, Mustang levels and they are in the region of $2000 per hour to operate.
Ouch! Expensive hobby. That's not even considering things like the venom. I remember having a guided tour of the engineering base at Woodbourne and being shown a Strikemaster engine. We were told it would go through the entire contents of a typical car's fuel tank in something like I think I can't remember if it was 45 or 90 seconds. Either way, it was something that made even a large, thirsty SUV look economical to run.

At least the likes of the DC-3s can take a decent number of passengers who can contribute to paying their running costs.
11-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #15495
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yak-52s for example are considered cheap to run but still run $400+ per hour to operate, you get to P-40, Mustang levels and they are in the region of $2000 per hour to operate.
Yikes! That puts things in perspective. I thought the F-100 with 351 V8 I used to own years ago was thirsty!
« GR x GIN Social | - »