Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #15541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I managed to get out and do some interesting photography last weekend.
Nice pics. Great contrast between the very big and the very small. Epic landscape.

12-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #15542
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. Yes. I wouldn't have got up there myself, but fortunately there are quite afew 4x4 owners in the local camera club.
I guess it could be done on a mountain bike, but it would be a hard climb.
My idea of hiking involves 4x4s!
12-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #15543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anyone is interested in the latest release of Skylum Software's Luminar 3 photo processing app (Mac & Windows), I reviewed it here. Note the review is light on its actual processing abilities, as this was not the focus of the update. However, I've found Luminar 2018 (the prior version) to be much more enjoyable to use than LR Classic CC to process my photos, requiring less effort and getting (in my view) better results.

I have also previously reviewed Skylum's Aurora HDR 2019 here.

Disclaimers: I was given beta access to Luminar 3 for a few weeks prior to release (but had paid for my license), and was gifted a license for Aurora HDR 2019 for review purposes.
12-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #15544
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Woo nice work good writing too
Thanks. I like to demonstrate there's more to Marlborough than vineyards.

---------- Post added 12-20-18 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
If anyone is interested in the latest release of Skylum Software's Luminar 3 photo processing app (Mac & Windows), I reviewed it here. Note the review is light on its actual processing abilities, as this was not the focus of the update. However, I've found Luminar 2018 (the prior version) to be much more enjoyable to use than LR Classic CC to process my photos, requiring less effort and getting (in my view) better results.

I have also previously reviewed Skylum's Aurora HDR 2019 here.

Disclaimers: I was given beta access to Luminar 3 for a few weeks prior to release (but had paid for my license), and was gifted a license for Aurora HDR 2019 for review purposes.
The lack of keywords is a showstopper for me at this stage, but it looks like it's coming. Hopefully it will support keyword hierarchies like Lightroom, as I find that a really handy feature. I regularly set up hierarchies so that if I tag an image at the bottom of the hierarchy, it automatically picks up all the ones higher up.

Lightroom's performance is getting to be an annoyance to me. It seems to degrade when left open for a period of time, and requires killing off via task manager in Windows and restarting. I could just about handle my organisational requirements with Paintshop Pro which I've got, but it has an awful RAW editor, which Lightroom actually does pretty well. If Luminar handles RAW processing well, and they add keywords, I could well be tempted to change.

12-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #15545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lack of keywords is a showstopper for me at this stage, but it looks like it's coming. Hopefully it will support keyword hierarchies like Lightroom, as I find that a really handy feature. I regularly set up hierarchies so that if I tag an image at the bottom of the hierarchy, it automatically picks up all the ones higher up.
I absolutely rely on that feature. I'll typically enter 3 keywords and end up with 7 or 8. But LR is on its way out for me no matter what. It annoys me not so much with performance as with all the baggage that comes with it and the "you'll be paying for a year, and not just for LR" approach. I'm not against subscriptions where they are good value and make sense. The "cheap" Photographer's Plan is not either of those. If they could charge me half the price just for LR, then it would be a harder decision.

Lightroom's performance is getting to be an annoyance to me. It seems to degrade when left open for a period of time, and requires killing off via task manager in Windows and restarting. I could just about handle my organisational requirements with Paintshop Pro which I've got, but it has an awful RAW editor, which Lightroom actually does pretty well. If Luminar handles RAW processing well, and they add keywords, I could well be tempted to change.
RAW processing seems to be a highly personal thing from what I've read. I like it. A lot. So does my brother (who's a graphic designer by trade and a loooong time user of Adobe products). He is also not a convert yet, but I will build my own scripts with ExifTool rather than hang on to LR at this stage.
12-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #15546
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to have suddenly gone quiet around here. Probably most likely everyone's busy at this time of year.
I managed to get out and do some interesting photography last weekend. Rather than repeat myself, I'll just link to my blog post with a few photos.
I took 3 lenses; my 90mm Tamron 2.8 macro, my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, and my Tamron 70-200 2.8.
A nostalgic trip up Black Birch Range
I have just moved up the NI from Levin to Te Kuiti. It took Trustpower over a week to hook up the internet.
12-19-2018, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #15547
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes I have been a bit quiet on this thread but I am still thoroughly obsessed with photography. Been sniffing around some of the FB sites but am sick of the interesting stuff sliding down into oblivion. With spring comes natural history macro work. Been putting a bit on inaturalist as observations. Bit jaded on PF threads whining about what they want and what they think everyone else wants and I think minds have closed a little. We have had a decade or so of amazing learning curves from these new technologies (I have learned so much from PF) and perhaps things have levelled out a bit.

12-20-2018, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #15548
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
(I have learned so much from PF) and perhaps things have levelled out a bit.
Nahh just most of us F-offed due to endlessly repeated boring boring...

Oh Wait...!!
QuoteQuote:
Bit jaded on PF threads whining about what they want and what they think everyone else wants and I think minds have closed a little.
A little..?? more like a bl00dy lottle....that's the trouble with sauce from a bottle...first a little...then a lottle...!!!!

Just you all f-off into your back yards this chrissy and snap snap snap.... all the best you bunch of Ne'er-do-well's... and don't do anything I'd enjoy...

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2018 at 08:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
I have just moved up the NI from Levin to Te Kuiti. It took Trustpower over a week to hook up the internet.
They sent the "We're having to upgrade OUR meter to a smart meter on...some date"

Rang and put them straight... MY meter....10 minutes later..."Oh, OK we can leave it as is and you can continue to have a real live meter reader and no SPY-Meter...."

Tell them to take a hike....!!
12-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #15549
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yes I have been a bit quiet on this thread but I am still thoroughly obsessed with photography. Been sniffing around some of the FB sites but am sick of the interesting stuff sliding down into oblivion. With spring comes natural history macro work. Been putting a bit on inaturalist as observations. Bit jaded on PF threads whining about what they want and what they think everyone else wants and I think minds have closed a little. We have had a decade or so of amazing learning curves from these new technologies (I have learned so much from PF) and perhaps things have levelled out a bit.
iNaturalist can get a bit addictive. It's kind of like social media but serving a useful purpose. I have found I can spend a lot of time trying to identify things I've photographed.

As far as forums and things being quiet on the Pentax front, I have a functioning Pentax, so I'm trying to get out and use it. As long as they keep selling their current models, there are several that represent upgrades over what I have, and handle the kind of photography I enjoy, so I just need to get the money together to buy one, but in the meantime I can still take nice photos on what I have.
12-20-2018, 02:16 AM   #15550
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote

Oh Wait...!!

A little..?? more like a bl00dy lottle....that's the trouble with sauce from a bottle...first a little...then a lottle...!!!!

Just you all f-off into your back yards this chrissy and snap snap snap.... all the best you bunch of Ne'er-do-well's... and don't do anything I'd enjoy...

They sent the "We're having to upgrade OUR meter to a smart meter on...some date"

Rang and put them straight... MY meter....10 minutes later..."Oh, OK we can leave it as is and you can continue to have a real live meter reader and no SPY-Meter...."

Bob ya old B you been spying on us all this time!!
12-20-2018, 02:56 AM   #15551
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Bob ya old B you been spying on us all this time!!
not a day goes by .....
12-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #15552
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

not a day goes by .....
Still crafting jewellery ?
12-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #15553
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh Wait...!!

Hahaha.

We had the same. I told them: "We have the old type meter board with the black backing board which may contain asbestos." They said they'd like to come and look anyway. So, installer turns up: "That's the old type black backing board that may contain asbestos. We're not drilling holes in that." I said: "Yup". He said: "I think your current meter is fine." I said. "That's what I told the office."
12-20-2018, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #15554
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hahaha.

We had the same. I told them: "We have the old type meter board with the black backing board which may contain asbestos." They said they'd like to come and look anyway. So, installer turns up: "That's the old type black backing board that may contain asbestos. We're not drilling holes in that." I said: "Yup". He said: "I think your current meter is fine." I said. "That's what I told the office."
Similar story here. The came to install a smart meter, took one look and said oh - it's an asbestos board.

Then they called again and said they had a safe procedure they could use, and came back for another try, only this time they found the thing wouldn't actually fit. You'd have thought they'd measure up the first time around.

I'm looking at changing power companies, so the one I'm considering, I actually asked them outright whether they're ok with meters that have to be manually read.

There's no reason why I can't just photograph the thing and send them an email once a month.
12-20-2018, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #15555
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar story here. The came to install a smart meter, took one look and said oh - it's an asbestos board.

Then they called again and said they had a safe procedure they could use, and came back for another try, only this time they found the thing wouldn't actually fit. You'd have thought they'd measure up the first time around.

I'm looking at changing power companies, so the one I'm considering, I actually asked them outright whether they're ok with meters that have to be manually read.

There's no reason why I can't just photograph the thing and send them an email once a month.
The joke is, those old boards are quite safe. The asbestos content is low. You'd have to grind up the whole thing and snort it for it to be a problem.
Our meter is inside, so they can't read it. So, every month they send an estimate account that is always wildly wrong (under) and every month I ring them with the correct readings and they issue a revised (higher) bill.
I don't mind doing it - that way i know it's right. About once a year, they ask for a photo of the readings to be e-mailed through.

Many years ago we were renting. The property had more than one power line coming in from the road and seperate meters. We rented the house and someone else rented a large shed some considerable distance away from the house. (It was a rural property).

So, we receive a power bill from Genesis. We're not with Genesis. So, I ring them up and politely explain that there must be some mistake, we don't buy our power off Genesis and they've sent us this bill. So, they question the address and I realise immediately that it's the shed bill they're trying to send to us. So, I explain the situation - that we're renting the house and that the owner of the property rents the shed to someone else - we don't actually know who - we've never met them as they access the shed from another driveway we don't cross paths. So, the Genesis employee says to me (in a very aggressive tone): "No, we don't accept that. You must pay this invoice or we'll hand you over to the debt collectors. Failure to pay may affect your credit score." (And carried on along that vein with more threats etc.)

I had a really good laugh at that and told her: "1. We don't have a contract with you. 2. We don't rent that building. 3. If you hand this to debt collectors I'll simply explain to them that the debt is in dispute. 4. If you carry on with this nonsense I'll see you in court." Never did hear from them again, until they rang about a year ago asking if we'd like to switch our power to Genesis. I declined the offer.