Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #15691
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
For stills quality, I think in daylight there isn't much in it (gap at low light), but APS-C (either Pentax, or Fuji IME) does slightly beat it. I am envious of the recent Panny colour and jpg improvements, and think that the FF sensor and the stable of your lenses (especially your Manual Focus lenses), IMO it would be a good fit. Much lighter as well, and we both know what that means when travelling on business (especially just with a carry-on).
Thanks for the comments Clarkey, they are helpful. The new Panasonic FF cameras are 1kg weight, so the same as the K-1 there. I have found the K-3 and DA lenses work very well for me for travel - say 20-40, 50-200 and 55 (all WR) or alternatively 20-40, 55-300 and 70. Usually I will also carry one on my Zeiss MF lenses as well, especially if I know I am going somewhere with very nice landscapes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Also looking with interest at the next 12 months at Pentax. If they can produce a cheaper/lighter KP or K-1 (K-70 is nearly there), I might come back for the ruggedness (I have a trip to Japan planned in May), but it is hard to give up the video, and weight.
Cheers.
Japan sounds like a nice trip. Yes the size/weight/functionality trade-offs are quite interesting at the moment. For me APS-C still seems to be the sweet spot for travel, although I wish Pentax had a body with an EVF around the 500g mark. That with the DA Limited lenses would make a very nice combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I would be seriously pisst to have my modern lenses casually obsoleted for the sake of mirrorless.
Sadly GUB that seems to be the direction it is heading. Canon is predicting a still reasonable reduction in total ILC cameras produced. The major industry R&D seems to be landing in mirrorless ILC's and phone cameras, and computational photography is also advancing very rapidly. DSLRs are not going away, but I think the new major advances for ILCs from now on will be with the mirrorless - across lenses, bodies and the new developments in connectivity and computational analysis.

Clearly I will be retaining a Pentax body to run the 250-600, but it may remain an APS-C body rather than a FF one. Time will tell

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 02-02-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: additional info
02-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #15692
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
but it seems there is serious competition in the camera body arena, and I am not sure they will keep up.
Ah I see from that you mean mirrorless. As you probably know I use the K1 as basically a mirrorless (LV and lcd viewfinder) with the ovf blocked off. I thought the Z7 would be a game changer but the lesson from it is let the technology sort itself out first. It is interesting the Panasonic is using a different AF sensor to try and get around the banding issue. That is sort of what I mean by letting the tech evolve. I suspect my K1 will break before it becomes behind the game image wise.
02-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #15693
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah I see from that you mean mirrorless. As you probably know I use the K1 as basically a mirrorless (LV and lcd viewfinder) with the ovf blocked off. I thought the Z7 would be a game changer but the lesson from it is let the technology sort itself out first. It is interesting the Panasonic is using a different AF sensor to try and get around the banding issue. That is sort of what I mean by letting the tech evolve. I suspect my K1 will break before it becomes behind the game image wise.
Sorry, yes I was meaning mirrorless. The K1 is a very rugged camera by all accounts, and if all I was after was landscape still images, then it would be an excellent choice.

I was picking up more on the discussion Rich brings up from time to time, the need for an all-round hybrid camera. With the GH5 we have purchased the log-file addition, and it gives good 4K output for professional level grading and editing. The GH5 also has a XLR add on module for the sound (which we haven't purchased yet) to hook up with professional level mikes etc. The Panasonic S1 is also going to provide this 4K functionality, and also can use the same XLR module. It is this mix of video and stills functionality where Pentax seems to be behind the curve at the moment.

Stills only, Pentax still provides some very good image quality and cameras.
02-02-2019, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #15694
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, yes I was meaning mirrorless. The K1 is a very rugged camera by all accounts, and if all I was after was landscape still images, then it would be an excellent choice.

I was picking up more on the discussion Rich brings up from time to time, the need for an all-round hybrid camera. With the GH5 we have purchased the log-file addition, and it gives good 4K output for professional level grading and editing. The GH5 also has a XLR add on module for the sound (which we haven't purchased yet) to hook up with professional level mikes etc. The Panasonic S1 is also going to provide this 4K functionality, and also can use the same XLR module. It is this mix of video and stills functionality where Pentax seems to be behind the curve at the moment.

Stills only, Pentax still provides some very good image quality and cameras.
Yknow as a farmer I have a range of large screwdrivers -- they are used for prying , chiselling and just occasionally to turn a screw. Any tradesmen worth his salt would turn his nose up at this and insist on using the proper tool for the job. One tool one job.

02-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #15695
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Slightly off-topic:
Towards the end of when I had my K-5IIs, I did similar with the LV for landscapes. When the feature first came out (first for me on the K-7), I thought it was a gimmick, but i've never had the skill (or suffered from focus shifting on both SLRs and DSLRs) to reliably *know* where focus sits. LV really does fix this (and also lets you know where your corners are focused). Tilty screens on a tripod also help, IMO.
02-02-2019, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #15696
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yknow as a farmer I have a range of large screwdrivers -- they are used for prying , chiselling and just occasionally to turn a screw. Any tradesmen worth his salt would turn his nose up at this and insist on using the proper tool for the job. One tool one job.
I agree with you there GUB, it is a good philosophy. That is why we have the Sony EX1 - it is a HD broadcast quality dedicated video unit with all sorts of good stuff on it. However, when travelling it is a bit big, and that is where the GH5 has become very useful, and as a 'B' camera for another angle, and also for taking to places where a big video rig would be too obtrusive.

If I do end up moving to the Panasonic S1 it will be with the same idea in mind - video while travelling, 'B' camera, and where I want to be a little more discrete while making a video. The GH5 is still doing a really good job for us, so I am in no rush to upgrade or change, but, as I reflected in the original comment - it is interesting where all the tech is heading.
02-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #15697
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The irony of that is the guy preaching it to you is the biggest MacGyver you would ever come across!. A life time of jury rigging old junk gear to keep it running!

02-03-2019, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #15698
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The irony of that is the guy preaching it to you is the biggest MacGyver you would ever come across!. A life time of jury rigging old junk gear to keep it running!
Great skills to have when the Zombie Apocalypse hits
02-03-2019, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #15699
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The K1 is a very rugged camera by all accounts, and if all I was after was landscape still images, then it would be an excellent choice.
Come on, did I lose my way and end up on DPReview?

There are so many more photographic genres the K-1 masters with ease.
Granted, it doesn't do video well. It's targeting still photographers.

However, once you accept that premise it really is just pretty fast-paced action where some cameras (usually much more expensive) do better with AF-C tracking.

On the subject of the Panasonic S1R, I think the pricing is crazy. DFD apparently still needs work and some of the stand out features aren't that hot if one looks a bit closer. I'd still say the S1R is the most interesting out of the recent MILC launches, but if one wants the S1R with a 50/1.4 lens, one is paying US $6000, which looks like it is going translate into ~$11,000 Kiwidollar once it hits an NZ shelf.

The K-1 II with the excellent HD-D FA* 50/1.4 only costs US $2900 and depending on your needs, you may not miss one bit the S1R can do extra or better. So that's less than half the price and the viewfinder has an infinite refresh rate, never slows down, always features optimal white balance, and you get the "image stabilization scope" feature for free. Battery life is also a "tad" better.

P.S.: Just joking around; haven't done a proper comparison; not interested in a US $3700 camera that hasn't written "perfection" all over it.

Last edited by Class A; 02-03-2019 at 05:42 AM.
02-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #15700
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Bottom line is we all have slightly different needs and wants, and it's about finding a fit that works for you.
That's quite a personal choice really. How Pentax fits into this will be different between us all.
Keen to see what arrives this year, especially being an anniversary for Pentax.

Since the start of time Pentax has been behind in it's autofocus abilities, and it's been a continued negative area in reviews.
I had wondered if this was due to the retention of the mechanical screwdrive interface causing process delays.
Funny how in practise though, Pentax is often more consistently accurate than other brands (just takes a little longer to get there)

Nowadays continuous tracking AF is real, in that you can identify a subject (usually via centre point focus) and have the camera track that person through the scene.
Pentax says it can do this, and does an ok job if the conditions are perfect (the K-3 range offers many more menu control options around this behaviour), but other brands can do this significantly better.
Mirrorless seems to take the lead in tracking autofocus now, including face tracking and eye tracking, which personally really appeals to me.
Sensors can cover most of the field of view too, so focusing/tracking is not limited to just the middle region of the frame.
The K-70 has these on sensor AF points, and I don't recall any reports of banding on this?

Video wise Pentax was once up near the front, but didn't continue development to stay there.
Today they're firmly in last place, and with no close competition. If it was a marathon Pentax would be finishing 2 days later than the rest of the field.
Yes it can still compete in the event, but not it's not competitive for 2015 levels, let alone 2019.
I maintain that small improvements here would go a long way.

Where ibis was once a Pentax strength, it's now included in most cameras.
Pentax typically does more with it (astrotracing/composition adjustment etc) but it's no longer a Pentax point of difference, and Pentax don't offer it in video anymore where most others do (at least as an option if you want it).

The biggest question for me is around mirrorless, and how that relates to Pentax. * Open acknowledgement again, I prefer optical viewfinders.*
Pentax is often quoted as being a good landscape choice, but typically when I shoot landscape I use liveview, a tripod and manual focus digital zoom/focus peaking to confirm focus.
None of this requires an optical viewfinder. Actually none requires a viewfinder at all.

Side note, I took these whilst in Auckland recently. Didn't know the harbour bridge was now all lit up with LED lights. Nice evening out during the heat wave

02-03-2019, 03:30 PM - 2 Likes   #15701
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Come on, did I lose my way and end up on DPReview?
Not at all - the comments here are constructive, polite, informed and in good humour

There are so many more photographic genres the K-1 masters with ease.
Granted, it doesn't do video well. It's targeting still photographers.
I don't disagree at all - just landscapes, cityscapes and travel are my primary uses for a stills camera, with landscapes being number one, hence the comment regarding this. Birding is coming on stream once I get the 250-600 fully working.

On the subject of the Panasonic S1R, I think the pricing is crazy. DFD apparently still needs work and some of the stand out features aren't that hot if one looks a bit closer. I'd still say the S1R is the most interesting out of the recent MILC launches, but if one wants the S1R with a 50/1.4 lens, one is paying US $6000, which looks like it is going translate into ~$11,000 Kiwidollar once it hits an NZ shelf.
I think pricing is definitely up there, hence my comment about considering - I am more interested in where the hybrid tech is heading and whether Pentax can even stay on the field with this. Time will tell - as I said it will be an interesting year to see what Pentax delivers. I am feeling no particular need to buy a new camera body this year, for either still or video, but couldn't help myself looking and reading about the Panasonic S1 announcement .

The K-1 II with the excellent HD-D FA* 50/1.4 only costs US $2900 and depending on your needs, you may not miss one bit the S1R can do extra or better. So that's less than half the price and the viewfinder has an infinite refresh rate, never slows down, always features optimal white balance, and you get the "image stabilization scope" feature for free. Battery life is also a "tad" better.
K1 and K1-II are very good cameras at very good price points. As I said, landscape only for me and I would be buying one. I might still do that yet. Hybrid stills and video, not so much. It depends on the use case, which is what this discussion has also been about.

Thank you for all the comments so far - I have found them very useful in testing my thinking and reasoning on this subject.

Cheers

Ross

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 02-03-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: correct double post
02-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #15702
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I had wondered if this was due to the retention of the mechanical screwdrive interface causing process delays.
Yeah I think that is it. Of course the other side of that coin is they have retained backward compatibility which is what I and many others greatly value.
02-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #15703
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah I think that is it. Of course the other side of that coin is they have retained backward compatibility which is what I and many others greatly value.
Totally. That was the big appeal for me obviously coming in from the Pentax film days.

They can of course keep that and still progress though, and have shown this already.
eg you can keep screwdrive as an option, but also mount newer lenses with internal focusing motors.
02-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #15704
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been thinking -- nikon z7 registration distance 16mm old nikon 46mm - that is about 30mm to play with. If that translates similarly in the pentax world then there would be heaps of length in an adapter to have an electronic to screwdrive adapter. Not only that but the adapter could have an inbuilt helicoid AF structure to auto focus the old Taks etc. What a great opportunity when mirrorless comes along also perhaps breaking into a new mount for new lenses. It would be just the sort of lateral thinking that Pentax seems good at.
02-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #15705
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Been thinking -- nikon z7 registration distance 16mm old nikon 46mm - that is about 30mm to play with. If that translates similarly in the pentax world then there would be heaps of length in an adapter to have an electronic to screwdrive adapter. Not only that but the adapter could have an inbuilt helicoid AF structure to auto focus the old Taks etc. What a great opportunity when mirrorless comes along also perhaps breaking into a new mount for new lenses. It would be just the sort of lateral thinking that Pentax seems good at.
I like where you are going with that