Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #16006
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I believe there are 3D industrial printers that can 'print' metal, so I guess anyone can start minting their own coins now.

Of course that will probably cause chaos for future archaeologists sifting through the remains of our civilisation, as it's quite possible they could come to the conclusion some person of minor significance who happened to get minted was some great political leader.
Funny you mentioned that - I looked at the cost of a wax 3d printer the other day thinking using the lost wax process to make brass coins would be a fun extension of photography.

06-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #16007
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hey has anyone had any contact with Kiwi110auto aka Hayden recently? It doesn't look like he's posted here since January. I'm looking at upgrading my K-50 to a K-70 while my wife's away (She's spending considerably more than what a K-70 costs on an overseas trip to visit family, so I think I'll get away with it. ,actually, based on that logic, I could justify buying a K-1, but I think we might actually need money for other things as well as travel and cameras.)
I can afford it currently, and worked out the K-70 represents a worthwhile upgrade.
Photo warehouse has them in stock, but I'm in no rush, and if Hayden is around, I'd certainly like to give him an opportunity.
My K-50 is still going strong, shutter count is only a bit over 10K, but increasingly I'm starting to find it a little limiting in some cases. I've had it a longer now than I had my K-x when I upgraded to the K-50, and I found that upgrade hugely useful.
I've pretty much got lenses that cover everything apart from the extreme long end, but that's pretty much out of the question price wise, and realistically I wouldn't go there that often anyway.
My thinking is the K-70 is a worthy step up over the K-50, with higher resolution, higher bit depth, pixel shift (which in situations where it's appropriate gives it a much higher effective resolution), articulated screen all things I'll find handy.
Ultimately, I'd still like a K-1, so the money I save compared to buying a KP, I can put towards gradually acquiring D FA lenses, so that when I can eventually afford full frame, I'm already fully equipped in terms of lenses.

While I've expressed interest in a compact waterproof camera for natural history, realistically natural history isn't likely to earn me any money, but occasionally portrait photography can, and landscapes have through book sales, so in terms of priorities, a good DSLR combined with the best lenses I can afford for portrait and landscape are the way to go, as if all goes well, they have a possibility of paying for themselves so I can indulge my other photographic interests.
06-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #16008
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

As far as I know he is still about. He has been on holiday recently.
06-28-2019, 11:56 PM   #16009
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
As far as I know he is still about. He has been on holiday recently.
Ah ok that might explain why he's quiet. Like I say, there's no rush, as my K-50 isn't showing any signs of failure, just I'd like some more capabilities.

07-01-2019, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #16010
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of lens reach, this is a massively cropped (2/3rd width) 300mm shot (450mm equivalent) of a Kingfisher who let me get surprisingly close, considering we were both on completely open ground. I reckon I was 10-15 metres away.

07-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #16011
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
a Kingfisher who let me get surprisingly close
Nice
07-01-2019, 03:00 AM   #16012
Pentaxian

Saturday I got to do some photography for friends, that reminds me why it's worth investing time and money to have the capability to take nice photos.
A couple my wife and I know from antenatal classes, discovered just a few weeks ago, that her dad has incurable, and aggressive brain cancer.
They rounded up the family, and knowing that I was into photography, asked if I could take some family portraits.
They wanted outdoor photos, but it was a sunny day, so not good lighting for portraits in the sun, and in the middle of winter in the shade it was not the most comfortable, and I've discovered umbrellas on flash stands tend to blow over at the slightest breeze unless you remember to pack concrete blocks (which I didn't).
I managed to get some decent images in the end though.
I ended up mostly using my Tamron 70-200 2.8 mostly at the wide end but also took a few with a D FA 100 2.8 WR.
70mm seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for portraits, but it's useful to have some flexibility either side of that without having to change lenses, so I'm increasingly seeing the point in something like the DA 50-135 2.8. I always thought it wasn't really wide enough for a landscape lens, nor long enough for when you really want some extra focal length, but it's really the ideal portrait range. Unfortunately the early examples had a bad reputation for AF failure, and new ones aren't exactly cheap.

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 10:02 PM ----------

Speaking of lens reach, this is a massively cropped (2/3rd width) 300mm shot (450mm equivalent) of a Kingfisher who let me get surprisingly close, considering we were both on completely open ground. I reckon I was 10-15 metres away.

So looking at the environment, how much mud ended up on you?

07-01-2019, 03:18 AM   #16013
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Saturday I got to do some photography for friends, that reminds me why it's worth investing time and money to have the capability to take nice photos.
A couple my wife and I know from antenatal classes, discovered just a few weeks ago, that her dad has incurable, and aggressive brain cancer.
They rounded up the family, and knowing that I was into photography, asked if I could take some family portraits.
They wanted outdoor photos, but it was a sunny day, so not good lighting for portraits in the sun, and in the middle of winter in the shade it was not the most comfortable, and I've discovered umbrellas on flash stands tend to blow over at the slightest breeze unless you remember to pack concrete blocks (which I didn't).
I managed to get some decent images in the end though.
I ended up mostly using my Tamron 70-200 2.8 mostly at the wide end but also took a few with a D FA 100 2.8 WR.
70mm seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for portraits, but it's useful to have some flexibility either side of that without having to change lenses, so I'm increasingly seeing the point in something like the DA 50-135 2.8. I always thought it wasn't really wide enough for a landscape lens, nor long enough for when you really want some extra focal length, but it's really the ideal portrait range. Unfortunately the early examples had a bad reputation for AF failure, and new ones aren't exactly cheap.

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 10:02 PM ----------

So looking at the environment, how much mud ended up on you?
Projects like this makes your photography feel that much more important don't they?
07-01-2019, 03:19 AM   #16014
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work - they are shy little b--s aren't they
07-01-2019, 03:53 AM   #16015
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely shot.
07-01-2019, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #16016
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We were on the Wellington waterfront on Saturday. (Annie ran the marathon)
As they say - "You can't beat Wellington on a good day".
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-01-2019, 04:50 AM   #16017
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the Waitahinga Trails look out in country from Wanganui last night. The sun ran down the southern edge of Egmont. On the shortest day it sets behind it (just). K1 with a K series 200 f4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #16018
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
At the Waitahinga Trails look out in country from Wanganui last night. The sun ran down the southern edge of Egmont. On the shortest day it sets behind it (just). K1 with a K series 200 f4
Nice shots!
07-01-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #16019
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
07-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #16020
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have to admit, Wellington is one of New Zealand's most photogenic cities. Of course you don't feel the wind in a photo.

Auckland - too spread out, Christchurch, most of the good stuff has gone, Dunedin - well there you have some real competition, but it does get pretty cold in winter, so it puts the complaints about Wellington's wind in perspective a bit.
« GR x GIN Social | - »