Mine has just been up a mountain.
Nice, less talking and more photography is clearly the answer

08-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #16202
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
.....slinks off unwanted with his K200D.....
A lot of people swear by the ccd sensors Bob. I am impressed with my sisters one.
08-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #16203
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
All this talk of Pentax going nowhere...
Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 10mm @ f10.
Lovely photo Chris!
08-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #16204
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What a cool shot 👍🏻

08-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #16205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All this talk of Pentax going nowhere...
Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 10mm @ f10.
There's a heck of a lot of all 3 dimensions in that shot. Impressive.
08-22-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #16206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
There's a heck of a lot of all 3 dimensions in that shot. Impressive.
Thanks, and everyone else too, for the nice comments.

I think it's the first time I've been out where the 10-20 pretty much lived on my camera. Usually closer to home, the landscape is a bit flat for such a wide lens, but it turns out to be ideal for alpine landscapes.
08-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #16207
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
A lot of people swear by the ccd sensors Bob.
Really ?..... ok I'll try that next time I'm out in the field .....

Note to self... say rude sailor words whilst holding K200D and see if it performs like a K1.....

08-24-2019, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #16208
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really ?..... ok I'll try that next time I'm out in the field .....

Note to self... say rude sailor words whilst holding K200D and see if it performs like a K1.....
Works for me!
08-25-2019, 02:12 AM - 3 Likes   #16209
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Case in point - a hill side - flash eith a reflector paper on a tripod on a bank, a reflector paper on another tripod on the other side of the orchid. Flash batteries gone slow - camera battery on last legs and wind blowing the reflectors in all of the wrong directions. You should have heard the swearing. But I think it is worth the effort. Corybas trilobus orchid. K-1 Rikenon 105mm macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #16210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Case in point - a hill side - flash eith a reflector paper on a tripod on a bank, a reflector paper on another tripod on the other side of the orchid. Flash batteries gone slow - camera battery on last legs and wind blowing the reflectors in all of the wrong directions. You should have heard the swearing. But I think it is worth the effort. Corybas trilobus orchid. K-1 Rikenon 105mm macro.
Great photo.

Reflector papers? You should try umbrellas. You'll end up like Mary Poppins!
08-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #16211
Veteran Member

I think it's not just Pentax - there's actually an issue that the whole camera market has matured and I can't think of a lot of new features I'd want that don't already exist in a model made by some brand or other.

Pentax certainly has limitations when it comes to video, and there does seem to be better tracking AF in other makes, but as far as stills go, I can't think of a lot extra that I'd need for what I do than what I can achieve with my K-70, apart from maybe better high ISO performance, but then there's the K-1 II for that, so Pentax's limited lineup has my interests in still photography covered.

I likely will stick with Pentax for a while, and the DA* 50-135 2.8 is on my future shopping list, as it covers a sweet spot in focal lengths for portraits, and it doesn't appear other mounts have anything current in a similar range for APS-C (I guess it's about equivalent to 70-200 on FF of which there are plenty of options.)

I have considered something that I can use more for video, and I think Panasonic would be my top pick in that respect, but 4K or 8K video don't really interest me as I'd need to buy a new PC and a new TV to get any benefit from them, and to be perfectly honest, probably a trip to the optometrist, as my organic lenses have a little bit of an issue with focus at a distance. Finding somewhere where I could actually situate a 4K TV where a) I can actually see the entire screen and b) I can actually resolve the increased resolution might be a challenge, and if I throw 'upgrade the house' into the equation, then the cost of a new camera ends up the least of my problems.
I think I'd be perfectly happy to stick to full HD 1080P video, so long as a camera does it well, eg things like dynamic range, high frame rate, tracking AF would be more useful to me than higher resolution.
The market has definitely matured over the last 2-3 years. Now the big thing that is happening is that the legacy companies, (apart from Olympus who were on the ground level) have woken up and joining the Mirrorless revolution. BUT having said that, Nikon's Z series are better advanced than the Canon EOS M & R series cameras. Nikon took the plunge big time and developed a totally new mount that will accept the F mount via an adapter, but havent been afraid to use new sensors and take a gamble on things like using different memory. Where as Canon's EOS R series have taken a new mount and old hardware behind, the EOS R was essentially a 5DIII with a crippled firmware and no mirror box, the EOS RP is a crippled 6DII so lots of old anyway tech wrapped in something new... Just look at the differences between their lens selections already, Nikon have 4 or 5 lenses where as there are only a 3 for the EOS R.
As for the Video side, the definite leaders are Panasonic & Sony, the OIympus cameras are getting much better on the video side, the Nikon Z's are meant to be really good for video too. It would be nice to see Ricoh put a bit more into Pentax for cameras and improve certain things like the Video and try some better tech inside too
08-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #16212
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with just going up in megapickles is that you just come up more and more against the laws of depth of field. Ie if you think you are going to see more sharp stuff (technical term) because of more pickles you are just going to see more out of focus stuff. Yes I know the dof calculators don't define pixel size - only format but with the circle of confusion they specify the K-1 at 36mp happily sits 30 odd pixels inside the blurry circle they call sharp. And yes the calculators are a blunt tool for indicating sharpness in modern terms but you get the idea.
The only way to get around the dof thing is to go smaller and create better small sensors with your technical gains in sensor design. That is kinda why cellphones get traction - they can do macro type stuff so well. We just need to think of them as cameras that you happen to be able to talk to someone on.
The other option to beat the dof thing is as megapickles go up to use a very high quality prime and reinvent digital zooming (cropping). So long as the prime is exquisitely good (so that is why I disregard zooms) you have a valid path forward. Sort of like dial your own format!
And one last thing - the Z7 is so ridiculously expensive and you have to start from scratch with stupidly expensive lenses, Pentax has an easy niche to fill undercutting it, doing it better and keeping the old mount.
08-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #16213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
As for the Video side, the definite leaders are Panasonic & Sony, the OIympus cameras are getting much better on the video side, the Nikon Z's are meant to be really good for video too.
Basically Everyone has improved video wise, except for Pentax. That’s a lot quicker to say.
08-25-2019, 09:44 PM   #16214
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Reflector papers?
I do a lot of table-top and product shots.....

Every wannabe artist buys those tiny (300mm x 100-300mm) stretched canvas from the Whare-place....and never paints a thing....then drops the unused canvas to a charity store....where it gets put in the....'picture of a white cat in snow'..pile for .50c-$1

They make great reflectors ... light, rigid, with a wood frame you can clamp..drill..bolt to your tripodium device etc etc...... and if you want a colour then a can of any metallic from SuperCheapCharabanc will suffice....

If you can find several of the same size then with some velcro dots and a bit of swearing and cursing you can make a reasonable portable light tent too

Last edited by bobD; 08-25-2019 at 09:52 PM.
08-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #16215
Pentaxian

I do a lot of table-top and product shots.....

Every wannabe artist buys those tiny (300mm x 100-300mm) stretched canvas from the Whare-place....and never paints a thing....then drops the unused canvas to a charity store....where it gets put in the....'picture of a white cat in snow'..pile for .50c-$1

They make great reflectors ... light, rigid, with a wood frame you can clamp..drill..bolt to your tripodium device etc etc...... and if you want a colour then a can of any metallic from SuperCheapCharabanc will suffice....

If you can find several of the same size then with some velcro dots and a bit of swearing and cursing you can make a reasonable portable light tent too
That's not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of using them for that. I do have a tendency to buy more than I need, but they do get paint on them eventually. My method of 'printing' some of my photos involves projecting them onto canvas, sketching the outlines, then sticking paint on. I figure if a printer can squirt CMYK ink to make an image so can I, but I'm a bit slower than a printer, and not as accurate, but for some reason people are more inclined to pay more for a somewhat inaccurate manual reproduction than a photo-realistic one.

Here's a link to some of my efforts (not on canvas, but same principle.)