Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #16216
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Basically Everyone has improved video wise, except for Pentax. That’s a lot quicker to say.
Which is why I now have the Panasonic G9.

08-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #16217
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
@Kiwizinho

Excellent ! great way to extend the hobby..

I bought an old OHP (https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Overhead+Projector) and use that ...in a roundabout way..to project images onto my workshop walls. (plywood)

Then I can pencil in and 'titivate'

Last edited by bobD; 08-25-2019 at 11:21 PM.
08-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #16218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been thinking about the subject of shooting video on Pentax K bodies and it occurred to me that the problem of no auto-focus might be somewhat alleviated by focusing the attached lens to its hyperfocal distance for the chosen aperture. It then occurred to me that's quite difficult with modern A lenses as there is generally no focus scale. So that got me thinking about my M lenses.

I calculated the hyperfocal distance for the M200 at f/8 to be about 250m. However, the lens's highest marking is 40m, very closely followed by ∞. Without doing some very fancy maths, I figure 250m would be just shy of ∞. That got me to thinking about the way I was taught to focus a lens to infinity was to roll it to the stop then back off slightly. Thinking further, it occurs to me that "focusing at infinity" may, in this case at least, actually mean focusing at the the hyperfocal distance.

Am I on the right track here?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8  Photo 
08-31-2019, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #16219
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes that probably would be more than enough for video type resolution . But for normal photography I would at least halve the coc base of your format. For the K5 the standard coc is .02mm and the pixel pitch is .005mm. According to my quick maths that means the dof charts are happy to cover 12 pixels with a blob and call it sharp. (what was the old basis for coc - was it an 8x10 inch print at standard viewing distance?). By the time you do a bit of cropping and a decent print size you are well past that and also I think our expectations have changed somewhat. You need to do a few tests with the M200 wide open and check that it is indeed managing to focus to infinity (if not past it). If it nails infinity then pace out 120 and 250 metres, focus on the 250, stop down to f8 and see if you are happy with the quality at infinity as well as 120M. Try it with video and try it on stills. EDIT oh and twink the 250mm spot.

09-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #16220
Pentaxian

Well Sigma's latest announcement that they aren't going to produce Pentax-mount lenses any more makes me glad I jumped ship years ago, I would die without my Sigma 120-300 f2.8! Though Nikon have announced they are working on one, probably twice the price.
I realise that none of you regulars would be int he same boat as me
09-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #16221
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Well Sigma's latest announcement that they aren't going to produce Pentax-mount lenses any more makes me glad I jumped ship years ago, I would die without my Sigma 120-300 f2.8! Though Nikon have announced they are working on one, probably twice the price.
I realise that none of you regulars would be int he same boat as me
It is not the happiest of news for K mount
09-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #16222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
But totally understandable given the lack of interest/volumes involved.

09-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #16223
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But totally understandable given the lack of interest/volumes involved.
That is true.
09-09-2019, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #16224
Pentaxian

I've decided I will sell our K-S1 and WR kit lens, and replace with a more video capable low end mirrorless around that black friday sales period in late November.
Thinking the likes of the Canon M100, with it's selfie screen and dual pixel continuous AF in video.

I'll keep the K-3 for now as my main photo device, but will at a later date replace this as well.
The Panasonic G9 keeps cropping up in discussions as being extremely Pentax like, with 5 axis stabilisation and of course good video. The thing even looks like a Pentax.

Would prefer to stay with Pentax, but they need to come to the party with a K-3 replacement model.

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 03:44 PM ----------

A few from Sydney

Last edited by richandfleur; 09-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.
09-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #16225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

]A few from Sydney
Nice shots! I particularly like the one of the glass. Is the shot across the bridge somewhere around Darling Harbour? It looks vaguely familiar to me but the last time I was there was 7 years ago so the memory is fading.
09-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #16226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Nice shots! I particularly like the one of the glass. Is the shot across the bridge somewhere around Darling Harbour?
Yes, well spotted.

I was there for a conference but snuck out beforehand and at nights to take photos.

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 07:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Five minute job with Gimp
And remember law of basic optics -- A ray running through the centre of a lens is undeviated by the lens.
Wanted to say thanks for this GUB.
Maths worked a treat in practise over in Sydney.
09-10-2019, 12:15 AM   #16227
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll keep the K-3 for now as my main photo device, but will at a later date replace this as well.
The Panasonic G9 keeps cropping up in discussions as being extremely Pentax like, with 5 axis stabilisation and of course good video. The thing even looks like a Pentax.
The G9 is a nice camera - I am still learning to use mine - so many functions. The 4K video off the G9 is spectacular, as long as you are happy with the recording limits. Very easy to use, even in vlog selfie mode.

I think I still prefer the colours out of the K3, but that may be the lenses rather than the camera. I have a K to m4/3 adaptor, so I need to check that out with some of my Pentax lenses. As I say, still learning.

I can say this with authority - the G9 is really well weather sealed. I absolutely soaked mine and the Leica 12-60 lens (also weather sealed) in a tropical downpour in Vanuatu at the beginning of August, and there were no issues at all.
09-10-2019, 01:29 AM   #16228
Pentaxian

Yeah I think that’s where Pentax needs a wake up call. They can’t rest on their laurels anymore. Things that were once Pentax only stables, like IBIS and rugged/weather sealed bodies are now out there in other brands. Several now have pixelshift variants of some sort or another also.
09-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #16229
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maths worked a treat in practise over in Sydney.
Whew - it worked then!!
Now I know it I am not sure I would use it much. Perhaps in the variant; Distance = Fl (mm) x subject width(M) / sensor size(mm)
ie I have the 50mm on and want to do a fast impromptu portrait - How far do i need to be from the 2Metre high person in portrait mode? Answer = 3metres
09-10-2019, 02:50 AM   #16230
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
But probably good for Pentax. How many People would actually not buy a new Pentax body because of this? OK you could say Arpe:
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I would die without my Sigma 120-300 f2.8!
. But he already has his soggyma to know this so he is not about to change mount anyway!
« GR x GIN Social | - »