Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #16321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Oooh - I've always wanted Pentax

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2019 at 12:40 PM ----------

Though I hear they're no good for sports.
I'm sure they're pefect for Chess tournaments.

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks Alistair. Selfless sacrifice and all. LOL

Jokes aside, if you find yourself in the Wairarapa feel free to come and try it out.
My little bro lives in the Wairarapa, so although I've got my own big Sigma beastie, there's a chance I might get over at some stage.

10-02-2019, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #16322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Jokes aside, if you find yourself in the Wairarapa feel free to come and try it out.
Cool, thanks. I expect to be over there at least once this summer. Will have to see if we can arrange to meet. I may be in need of a photographer for a brief period.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
It's too easy to forget the atmosphere also has optical properties, especially when you're looking through a large volume of air. I don't envy you trying to get nice aircraft photos. The atmospheric distortion from jet exhausts can be pretty severe.
At least down here I have Omaka within about half an hour's walk or 10 minutes on a bike. You have to get much closer to the small planes, but that means less atmospheric interference, and also less hot exhaust to contribute to it.
Sometimes jet exhaust can actually add to the feel of a photo. I chap I know in Ireland showed this to great effect:

The DA* 11-18 2.8 would be a very nice lens to own, but it has a fairly hefty price tag.
I might have to keep an eye out for any bargains on old kit, seeing as I just bought a new phone and new watch and am still hankering after updating my Mac as well.
10-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #16323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Cool, thanks. I expect to be over there at least once this summer. Will have to see if we can arrange to meet. I may be in need of a photographer for a brief period.

Sometimes jet exhaust can actually add to the feel of a photo. I chap I know in Ireland showed this to great effect:

I might have to keep an eye out for any bargains on old kit, seeing as I just bought a new phone and new watch and am still hankering after updating my Mac as well.
Ah, us poor PC and budget Android users don't know what we're missing.

I probably wouldn't spend my own money on a Mac, but if someone gave me one certainly I wouldn't refuse.

I may yet end up having to buy one, - probably a Mac Mini, as I've started doing app development, and though Xamarin makes cross platform development pretty easy, if you want to actually compile and release for iOS you have to own a Mac of some description. So far, I don't have the need, but eventually someone's bound to ask if I can write something that will run on iOS.
10-03-2019, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #16324
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Though I hear they're no good for sports.
Just like you; it's a match made in heaven!

10-03-2019, 02:25 AM   #16325
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...if you want to actually compile and release for iOS you have to own a Mac of some description.
A Hackintosh would do, wouldn't it?

Apple computer hardware has not been good value for money for quite a while now and certain priorities (slim, compact designs, and a "silent" focus) create performance compromises.
10-03-2019, 02:56 AM   #16326
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure they're pefect for Chess tournaments.

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 06:26 PM ----------

My little bro lives in the Wairarapa, so although I've got my own big Sigma beastie, there's a chance I might get over at some stage.
You're more than welcome.
10-03-2019, 02:57 AM   #16327
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feel free to hit me up.

10-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #16328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Apple computer hardware has not been good value for money for quite a while now and certain priorities (slim, compact designs, and a "silent" focus) create performance compromises.
Apple hardware is excellent value for money - for Apple!

It's interesting to see how Apple and Microsoft take such a different approach, and how Microsoft has now embraced open source in such a big way. They've figured out that with the cloud, even if people run free software, they still need to host it somewhere, and paying in-house staff for management is expensive, so they've gone the route of "Run whatever you like, free or otherwise, and we'll host and manage it for you."
In a sense, the new Microsoft is no different to the old Microsoft in that they want to embrace and conquer, just they've figured out supporting open source makes it easier to do so when ICT is treated as services rather than products.

Apple seems to take more the approach, "We'll build beautiful hardware that makes good fashion accessories, and just like other designer labels, we'll charge accordingly."

I must say in the phone department though, Apple seems to be a lot more coherent than Google. Android is an absolute security and privacy mess. You get to choose between a secure and private device that locks you into a very rigid and inflexible system, or a likely insecure device that leaks data but gives you plenty of flexibility and control to do what you like.
10-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #16329
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's interesting to see how Apple and Microsoft take such a different approach, and how Microsoft has now embraced open source in such a big way. They've figured out that with the cloud, even if people run free software, they still need to host it somewhere, and paying in-house staff for management is expensive, so they've gone the route of "Run whatever you like, free or otherwise, and we'll host and manage it for you."
In a sense, the new Microsoft is no different to the old Microsoft in that they want to embrace and conquer, just they've figured out supporting open source makes it easier to do so when ICT is treated as services rather than products.

Apple seems to take more the approach, "We'll build beautiful hardware that makes good fashion accessories, and just like other designer labels, we'll charge accordingly."

I must say in the phone department though, Apple seems to be a lot more coherent than Google. Android is an absolute security and privacy mess. You get to choose between a secure and private device that locks you into a very rigid and inflexible system, or a likely insecure device that leaks data but gives you plenty of flexibility and control to do what you like.
I have had to, very reluctantly, go from Windoze Phone to Android. I suspect I was the last Windoze Phone user.
10-04-2019, 01:25 AM   #16330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

Hackintoshes are a lot of work. You'd be better off buying an older Mac, I think. As for value for money — who here is running an 10 year old PC? I refused to leave the 2009 iMac running OS X because that has security risks, but it's still doing sterling work running Ubuntu.If Apple supported the older OS versions (they usually only do n-2) it would still be a true Mac (like it was until last year). I know quite a few people who are running 2011 and 2012 models (with OS X) today as their only machine.

I bet a lot of competitors are jealous they can't get the margins Apple do.

You do realise macOS is based on the open source Darwin kernel which is (largely) based on BSD Unix and that we eccentric Mac owners have been running open source tools for yonks, right? (I've been playing with ImageMagick again this week.) Running HomeBrew or similar on a Mac is pretty much standard for geeks and most of the stuff I learn to run my CentOS web server also applies to macOS natively. You can also run a lot of open source GUI software natively, too, like Gimp, DarkTable, etc.

This is one area where they're definitely going astray in recent times. The slavish focus on thinness has wrought their biggest misstep of recent times in the laptop keyboards, but I challenge you to find a better overall experience than a 5K iMac without spending a lot more. Also, no tablet exists that comes close to the $600 iPad.

It's traditionally referred to as a "walled garden" but it's all relative. I'm a geek and inveterate tinkerer who has been using an iPhone since the first released in NZ in 2008. From watching friends and colleagues with Android, the "do what you like" seems largely to consist of changing the entire mode of operation of the device with launchers and widgets and more. That makes it really interesting for people but a bugger to support — hand me any iPhone and I can show you how to use it. It's also interesting to watch what has been happening between Google and Apple OSes over the 12 years of modern smart phones. While they've both cribbed functional ideas from one another, Google is slowly but surely adopting the same security posture that Apple has had from the beginning — so long as Samsung, Huawei, HTC, etc, are willing to toe the line. And the carriers.

Lastly, before I get off my soap box, I'll mention accessibility. Apple's accessibility support has been second to none for a decade and yet this year they just ratcheted it WAY up.

Let me summarise by saying this: I totally support everyone choosing what they want and what works for them (even Nikon!) but the usual criticisms levelled at Apple and their products are much along the same lines as those we experience against Pentax — we know what Pentax are about and we appreciate them for it while at the same time wishing they'd address the shortcomings we know all too well. Apple has plenty of shortcomings, believe me, but they're not the commonly bandied ones. It took my brother several years to convince me to switch to a Mac but now Apple would have to take one hell of a fall for me to even entertain the possibility of thinking about using anything else. But that, of course, is just me. And a lot of other fans.
10-05-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #16331
Pentaxian

Hackintoshes are a lot of work. You'd be better off buying an older Mac, I think. As for value for money — who here is running an 10 year old PC? I refused to leave the 2009 iMac running OS X because that has security risks, but it's still doing sterling work running Ubuntu.If Apple supported the older OS versions (they usually only do n-2) it would still be a true Mac (like it was until last year). I know quite a few people who are running 2011 and 2012 models (with OS X) today as their only machine.

I bet a lot of competitors are jealous they can't get the margins Apple do.

You do realise macOS is based on the open source Darwin kernel which is (largely) based on BSD Unix and that we eccentric Mac owners have been running open source tools for yonks, right? (I've been playing with ImageMagick again this week.) Running HomeBrew or similar on a Mac is pretty much standard for geeks and most of the stuff I learn to run my CentOS web server also applies to macOS natively. You can also run a lot of open source GUI software natively, too, like Gimp, DarkTable, etc.
In that respect macOS actually is pretty good in that it's a Unix type OS but still user friendly enough for non-geeks to use. If macOS weren't so locked to hardware with limited maintenance and upgrade potential, I'd probably happily buy it, although in the absence of that option, I've become sufficiently proficient with Linux to probably not need it. The pricing on hardware, and limited ability to patch it and replace bits is what irritates me, although it's less of an issue with laptops, as all of them use proprietary components. I think my desktop PC still has the case from 15 years or more ago though! Ever since the ATX form factor was introduced for PCs, you could keep putting new stuff into old chassis virtually indefinitely, albeit with a power supply upgrade eventually. I must say I'm probably an extreme case, having replaced various bits over the years so what's in the box now is nothing like what it started life as, but the thing is I could do it incrementally.

This is one area where they're definitely going astray in recent times. The slavish focus on thinness has wrought their biggest misstep of recent times in the laptop keyboards, but I challenge you to find a better overall experience than a 5K iMac without spending a lot more. Also, no tablet exists that comes close to the $600 iPad.
My brother was given an iPhone for work, and wasn't impressed with its fragility, he kind of liked his Macbook, and by all accounts iPads are simply the best tablets on the market. Microsoft's Surface is meant to be pretty good - when it works, but apparently there are some reliability problems with the hardware, which gives the iPad a clear advantage, as Surface has quite a steep price in its own right.

It's traditionally referred to as a "walled garden" but it's all relative. I'm a geek and inveterate tinkerer who has been using an iPhone since the first released in NZ in 2008. From watching friends and colleagues with Android, the "do what you like" seems largely to consist of changing the entire mode of operation of the device with launchers and widgets and more. That makes it really interesting for people but a bugger to support — hand me any iPhone and I can show you how to use it. It's also interesting to watch what has been happening between Google and Apple OSes over the 12 years of modern smart phones. While they've both cribbed functional ideas from one another, Google is slowly but surely adopting the same security posture that Apple has had from the beginning — so long as Samsung, Huawei, HTC, etc, are willing to toe the line. And the carriers.
I agree, the manufacturer customisation of Android is often horrible. I just want a standardised OS that I can run any app on, including ones I build myself.
A lot of the security that Apple has on their phones I'd like, but some of it goes a bit far. I understand that the only way you can run software on iOS is if it's published to the Apple App Store. I'd like the ability to be able to compile and run apps of my own making without having to go through paying up for an Apple developer account.
My attitude is if I'm prepared to pay a premium to have a device without crapware and decent security, why should I pay another premium to install my own software on it?
I can do this on any other platform, including I think, macOS?
Admittedly, most users probably don't want to do that so I'd be very much a minority use case.
If security is the concern, then it would be possible to allow it only by transfer over a physical connection that the iOS device is plugged into, with explicit permission of the user. That would exclude drive-by downloads of malware from websites.

Lastly, before I get off my soap box, I'll mention accessibility. Apple's accessibility support has been second to none for a decade and yet this year they just ratcheted it WAY up. Voice Control.

Let me summarise by saying this: I totally support everyone choosing what they want and what works for them (even Nikon!) but the usual criticisms levelled at Apple and their products are much along the same lines as those we experience against Pentax — we know what Pentax are about and we appreciate them for it while at the same time wishing they'd address the shortcomings we know all too well. Apple has plenty of shortcomings, believe me, but they're not the commonly bandied ones. It took my brother several years to convince me to switch to a Mac but now Apple would have to take one hell of a fall for me to even entertain the possibility of thinking about using anything else. But that, of course, is just me. And a lot of other fans.
I think it's a case of the right device for the right type of user. There are certainly use cases where Apple makes sense, but there are also use cases where it doesn't, just like with Pentax.
10-05-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #16332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand that the only way you can run software on iOS is if it's published to the Apple App Store. I'd like the ability to be able to compile and run apps of my own making without having to go through paying up for an Apple developer account.
That used to be the case but not for a few years now. Just download Xcode for free, plug in your phone, and go. Of course, you can only load on your own devices but I think that's what you're after.

I can do this on any other platform, including I think, macOS?
Yes, Xcode runs on macOS so the moment you compile, you run.

There are certainly use cases where Apple makes sense, but there are also use cases where it doesn't, just like with Pentax.
Whoa! Guys! Are we going to stand for that? Pentax is the best for everyone, right?
10-05-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #16333
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is funny how you still get the mac vs windows discussions. It is just like the old Pepsi vs Coke advert wars. The thing is it benefited both companies because the viewers thought "Pepsi or Coke" and forget to just go and get a glass of water. LONG LIVE LINUX
10-05-2019, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #16334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha. Interesting discourse. I'm currently swapping between a Windows 10 laptop and MX Linux system, running on an intel NUC.

Linux has come a L O N G way since i last used it in 2002 (SUSE). It's interesting how many of the issues I perceived as issues have now been simply addressed.
Productivity software - fixed (OK, I've been using Libre office for four years now, likewise back to Firefox now that quantum is here).
Photographically:
- Distro gives you old version of Darktable - fixed.
- Colour management - fixed using Argyll/Dispcal (and my Huey now works again!)
- Printing - fixed (sort of - with CUPs - I even have my old Kodak running again)
- I'm down to scanning now, and will be looking to resurrect my Minolta Elite 5400 II

(OT) Now, if they don't go the way of systemD, then I will feel entirely better about getting rid of the twisted mess that is windows 10.
10-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #16335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
It is funny how you still get the mac vs windows discussions. It is just like the old Pepsi vs Coke advert wars. The thing is it benefited both companies because the viewers thought "Pepsi or Coke" and forget to just go and get a glass of water. LONG LIVE LINUX
But Linux doesn't run Photoshop or Lightroom

...and there likes another whole can of worms.

Actually, just thinking, I currently use Windows, Android, and Linux for different things that they do well. There are other things I think Apple does well, as in probably the only reasonably secure, private smartphone OS.

As for Coke vs Pepsi, if I'm after carbonated caffeine, I don't do either. When I was in Brazil, I discovered guaraná (not the disgusting adulterated stuff they put in energy drinks, like V, but straight out carbonated guaraná).
Once again, I'm obviously I'm a bit of an edge case. (I did experiment with adding instant coffee to lemonade when I was younger, but that didn't work out too well.)
« GR x GIN Social | - »