Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2019, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #16351
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
... I snicker softly to myself as I watch someones windows sluggishly ooze into life running at a fraction of its original speed. And people pay to have this done to them.
hey ! my single install XP was faultless and fast for at least 8 years
this win 10 is basically the same, Dog willing

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2019 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Looks like he means business.

I would have done a runner as well!
I reckon it was all an act, real thugs haven't got yellow cameras surely

10-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #16352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
70mm seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for portraits, but it's useful to have some flexibility either side of that without having to change lenses, so I'm increasingly seeing the point in something like the DA 50-135 2.8. I always thought it wasn't really wide enough for a landscape lens, nor long enough for when you really want some extra focal length, but it's really the ideal portrait range. Unfortunately the early examples had a bad reputation for AF failure, and new ones aren't exactly cheap.
Get yourself a 2nd hand one for as cheap as possible and convert to screwdrive. You lose silent AF but this lens is stellar so at the right price is worth it. It's also WR.
10-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #16353
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I reckon it was all an act, real thugs haven't got yellow cameras surely
I reckon the yellow brick is just meant to provide distraction.

Look at his attire and shades; he's clearly a man in black.
10-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #16354
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you notice the lens designed to look like a cofee cup? Quite a trendy little gizmo!

10-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #16355
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you notice the lens designed to look like a cofee cup?
The "lens"?

We all know that this is a mug-shaped camera that uses an entire lens array camouflaged as a mug pattern. Clearly Russian spy equipment.
10-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #16356
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about this interesting TM combination: PENTAX ZOOM 105 SUPER | Trade Me
10-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #16357
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Is this the year of Linux on the desktop?

Linux is a great piece of technology that 99%+ of people don't need to care about, but 100% of people will come into unknowing contact with whenever they go online as the vast majority of web sites run on it (including all of mine). Personally, I'd no sooner use Linux on my desktop every day than I'd use my KP to film a wedding.
Though I have a different choice of desktop OS to you, Linux serves exactly the same purpose, and does it very well.

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
As for DarkTable, I thought I'd give it a try recently it lasted about 5 minutes before I deleted it. It may well be a very capable image processor, but boy could they use some designers to whip that UI into something recognisable. I've been mucking about with computers for nearly 40 years and have the skills to figure out just about any software... but I don't want to have to figure out a tool like that. If Lightroom is about an 8-out-of-10 on the usability scale, then DarkTable is about a 2.

It is an open secret that Serif will, eventually, release a DAM capability within their Affinity suite of products. Given their performance to date, that's what I will end up using long term, I think. Especially if it comes as a "dark room" persona for the already very capable Affinity Photo.
I've tried a few open source photo editing software packages, although the Windows compiled versions, and all of them I've found a bit lacking.
Rawtherapee seems promising, and is not too unlike Lightroom in some respects, but performance sometimes seemed a bit slower than already slow Lightroom at times, and some options aren't all that intuitive, but I probably could live with it if I had no option.
Gimp is fairly capable, but it took ages to get 16 bit per channel colour support which was a deal breaker for me, as 8 bit editing can cause nasty artefacts in certain advanced editing cases. I think it has it now, but I'd already moved on to Photoshop. Paintshop pro gets a notable mention as a fairly low cost commercial alternative that does much of what Photoshop does, but with a perpetual licence (although it doesn't nag you periodically via popup ads about upgrades, which I sometimes do act on - like $40 every couple of years to upgrade a couple of versions is seriously cheap compared to Photoshop.)
The big thing that's kept me lining Adobe's pockets is decent RAW and meta data editing support. Corel fails dismally in RAW support, and I use raw adjustments extensively.
10-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #16358
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I describe LR to its users as a "paint by numbers" program that disempowers its user's from using the highly respectable PS. To me LR is like leaving your camera set to jpg. (Lets use someone else's preset)
Interestingly I started with the lightroom presets thing, but now hardly use them at all.

I think Lightroom is Photoshop tailored to photographers and whilst Photoshop still has a place, I do my photo work in Lightroom.
I find the key photography aspects are laid more intuitively in Lightroom than Photoshop.

Nowadays I use the Pentax DSLR only for major image work now (like if I'm travelling elsewhere, family portraits or kids sports etc) and the cell phone for everything else.
I only shoot in RAW and all Pentax images are reviewed and then imported into Lightroom to be developed.
I say developed because my process (at least mentally) does follow the darkroom film development really.

I use Lightroom for image development 99% of the time, and only go to Photoshop for image manipulation (beyond simple cloning), and use something else for HDR work.

Like anything, these are tools that you use to get your end result. You use whichever suits you to get the result you want, but whilst Lightroom supports the use of presets, it's by no means dependent on them either.

10-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #16359
Pentaxian

Yep -- 5 minutes and judge it - good on ya.
And while we are trading insults on our respective programs I can tell you now I describe LR to its users as a "paint by numbers" program that disempowers its user's from using the highly respectable PS. To me LR is like leaving your camera set to jpg. (Lets use someone else's preset)
Paint? Presets?
I wouldn't exactly call what I do with LR 'painting' - PS is for that. I don't have anyone else's presets either, although making my own is useful for batch processing similar photos.
What it is, is a reasonable photo management and RAW processing tool.
I use the metadata editing almost as much as the RAW editing features, and being able to do stuff like hierarchical keyword management (eg if you have say Nelson as a keyword under South Island), then a search on South Island will return photos tagged as Nelson without also having to tag them as South Island).
The ability to have RAW processing and meta data editing in one is a biggie for me.
I guess like choice of OS though, at the end of the day, it comes down to what you expect of your software though, and different people want to do different things.
I don't mind spending some money if it allows me to do what I want, but I'm also happy not to spend money if I can find a free solution.
Actually I'm in an interesting situation in this respect to other software. I use both Microsoft Office and LibreOffice. LibreOffice has far better PDF generation support than Microsoft Office, but Microsoft Access is far superior to LibreOffice Base for quickly building complex desktop database applications, so I use both office suites.
10-06-2019, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #16360
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Apologies Guys - I took it on the chin when DT was so flippantly dismissed. We use what we use.
10-06-2019, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #16361
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Apologies Guys - I took it on the chin when DT was so flippantly dismissed. We use what we use.

Nah it's all good, whatever works for you is fine by me.

Personally I've found Lightroom a huge help, and whilst I found it via presets originally, it's not why I stayed or how I use it today.
10-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #16362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Get yourself a 2nd hand one for as cheap as possible and convert to screwdrive. You lose silent AF but this lens is stellar so at the right price is worth it. It's also WR.
How easy is it do to the conversion? If I do any more weddings, I think this would be my go-to lens, so I think I can justify an acquisition.
10-07-2019, 02:40 AM   #16363
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I can tell you now I describe LR to its users as a "paint by numbers" program that disempowers its user's from using the highly respectable PS. To me LR is like leaving your camera set to jpg.
Lightroom is essentially a fancy interface for Adobe Camera RAW + some image management functionality. Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) is part of Photoshop and you see it every time you open a raw file.

It offers all sorts of manual image adjustments, including local adjustments via hand-drawn masks, etc.

Presets are completely optional and unlike other software, Lightroom doesn't come with a dumbed down interface that encourages the use of canned image effects.

You could describe Lightroom as "Photoshop without layers, without sophisticated retouching tools (there are some) and without the zillion features that photographers almost never use).

So "paint by numbers" doesn't do it justice at all.

I'd say that Lightroom, Capture One (my preferred choice), and Darktable are very similar in their approach.

Darktable actually has at least one feature (frequency separation) that none of the others offer. In true open source style, Darktable offers features before they become mainstream (if the latter happens at all). Gimp, for instance, had content-aware fill before Photoshop did.

I'd never disparage any of the open source tools. At the time I had to find a successor for Lightroom, Darktable was just a bit too slow for me and IIRC, I didn't like how the image updated. Perhaps these issues don't exist anymore nowadays.
10-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #16364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep -- 5 minutes and judge it - good on ya.
Ever join a long queue only to quickly decide it's not worth the wait? That's the feeling I got from DT. You're probably inferring that I sledged its abilities, but that's not the case. It is 100% about the user interface. I prefer my software to be intuitive and ideally look nice. DT scored low on both counts in my view. I didn't think it worth my effort to learn an interface unlike any other. If I was 20-30 years younger (and poorer) I might well have given it a better go.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Lightroom is essentially a fancy interface for Adobe Camera RAW + some image management functionality.
It's that image management functionality that's the hardest part to replace. I love the way Luminar processing works, but I'm getting quite cranky at Skylum for failing to deliver a decently featured DAM capability. The buggers are busy trying to get me to pre-order v4 when they've not yet delivered on their promises for v3!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be flippant as much as very surprised. I've seen plenty of open source tools in my time and the majority are marked by poor user interface design. I found DT to be confusing from the outset. As I said above, that alone takes it off the table for me. The long and the short of it is when developers design user interfaces, it shows. And I say that as a developer. I understand many of the principles and I still wouldn't let me design an interface. As, from time to time, I do in fact create user interfaces (though nothing like as complex as a DAM), I can only hope lots of people aren't as fussy as me.
10-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #16365
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
How easy is it do to the conversion? If I do any more weddings, I think this would be my go-to lens, so I think I can justify an acquisition.
Jumping in on this one, you need a K-5ish generation body, and the following thread and/or video: