Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #16531
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice examples. They have different optic to around s-m-c and later. Personally I prefer them over the later ones - don't know whether it is the optics or the lesser coatings. Suspect it is the coatings coz I also like the Takumar bayonets which are uncoated. And a lot of the preference is emotional and the beautiful builds of these presets would sway anyone.

11-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #16532
Pentaxian

Agreed!
11-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #16533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Newer phones have a camera dedicated to capturing depth, so the post image adjustment can be based on real points as well as approximations and image analysis.
The iPhones do not have dedicated lenses - they use differential between the focal lengths to gauge depth on the main camera system. The front-facing camera has special depth sensing to do the face recognition. It's really not that good on the main camera system as a lot of it is still DSP.

All these fields will improve over time, so the point was I feel Pentax were barking up the wrong tree trying to shape a DSLR for a social market, where it's strengths are always going to be elsewhere.
Agreed 100% on that. Social = phones.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
That is really good, I have also been impressed with the night mode images I have got with my iPhone 11 Pro.
The best part about it, in my view, is watching the image "develop" in front off you as you shoot it. It's magical.
11-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #16534
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
We are back to that right tool for the right job discussion again Rich.

Generally, my view is DSLRs are going to become very niche - as already commented, general social photography is almost always going to be completed with phone cameras now.
Agreed. Not saying a large sensor, interchangeable lens camera doesn't have a place any more, far from it. Just saying when you choose to pull that out is much more orientated around the end use requirement nowadays.
I don't bother using a DSLR any more to add photos to trademe auctions etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The iPhones do not have dedicated lenses - they use differential between the focal lengths to gauge depth on the main camera system.
Yeah I read about the likes of the Samsung A70, which has a dedicated 5MP depth camera, so portrait modes have some additional real data to use in determining in focus and out of focus areas.

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The best part about it, in my view, is watching the image "develop" in front off you as you shoot it. It's magical.
Olympus has done this with their long exposure shots for a quite a while. Very cool and allows you to keep going until you have the number of light trails you want etc.
It's concepts like that which I'd love to see Pentax bring to older existing cameras, so you can see your image developing when using live view mode for long exposure shots.

11-26-2019, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #16535
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's concepts like that which I'd love to see Pentax bring to older existing cameras, so you can see your image developing when using live view mode for long exposure shots.
I wouldn't even object to paying a modest fee if a firmware upgrade could add significant functionality. I pay for software upgrades for image processing software for my PC, and understand there isn't really any financial incentive to keep providing firmware upgrades for a camera once it's no longer being sold new, but a modestly priced software upgrade should be a lot less than a new body.
Sure, the flip side is it might eat into sales of newer models, but if the DSLR market is slowing anyway, and most people have a long replacement cycle why not find a way to make money out of existing owners without the cost of developing a whole new body?
11-26-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #16536
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CR Kennedy NZ were nice enough to help me order some 100th anniversary merch from Pentax Australia!
Attached Images

11-26-2019, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #16537
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool Hat. Don't do white T shirts - don't look the same with coffee dribbles!
11-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #16538
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
CR Kennedy NZ were nice enough to help me order some 100th anniversary merch from Pentax Australia!
Cool!

How much for the hot-shoe cover?

11-27-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #16539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
How much for the hot-shoe cover?
It was $94 + shipping.

Almost a dollar cheaper than buying it in Aus after conversion!
11-27-2019, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #16540
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice!
11-27-2019, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #16541
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It was $94 + shipping.
Thanks!

I thought it would be over my personal threshold, but hoped to be surprised to the contrary.

Kudos to you for supporting the brand!
11-28-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #16542
Pentaxian

GST added to imported stuff from 1 Dec
Amazon US the only option for Kiwi online shoppers after GST change | Stuff.co.nz
11-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #16543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
See also this writeup which explains it isn't as simple as it may seem and may end up saving you money in some cases.
11-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #16544
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black Friday deals with some really good discounts over at DxO.

DxO PhotoLab 3 - Advanced Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC
6 Days Ago   #16545
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Put the K-S1 on Trademe, but little interest so far. A lot of watchers, but that's about it.