Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #16546
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Put the K-S1 on Trademe, but little interest so far. A lot of watchers, but that's about it.
Perhaps the description could be enhanced with some reasons as to why someone should choose Pentax?

I cannot comment on the price and/or what the "competition" is like on TM, but I reckon most people getting into photography will probably will have heard of "Canon", "Nikon", "Sony", but not "Pentax".

Therefore it might be useful to add a few lines as to what makes Pentax an attractive brand (e.g., access to millions of existing lenses available for little money on the used market, in-body stabilisation being a rare feature for a DSLR, etc.).

12-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #16547
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Therefore it might be useful to add a few lines as to what makes Pentax an attractive brand (e.g., access to millions of existing lenses available for little money on the used market, in-body stabilisation being a rare feature for a DSLR, etc.).
Add friendly and helpful NZ user community and put a link to here
12-06-2019, 01:42 AM   #16548
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Put the K-S1 on Trademe, but little interest so far. A lot of watchers, but that's about it.
You have a modest gap between the entry bid and buy now. If one of those watchers was motivated he would have put a bid in to knock the buy now off.
12-13-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #16549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An interesting experiment. Not great IQ, but a useful shot nevertheless. Achieved with the 52mm equivalent "telephoto" lens on an iPhone 11 Pro, held up to a pair of 12x50 binoculars for a 624mm equivalent focal length.

The subject of the image is the southern end of the Transmission Gully motorway. It looks nearly ready here, but is still 6-12 months from opening.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11 Pro  Photo 
12-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #16550
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The subject of the image is the southern end of the Transmission Gully motorway. It looks nearly ready here, but is still 6-12 months from opening.
Cool, thanks for sharing.
12-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #16551
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, interesting to see the progress. To think it nearly got built in the 1940's, it has been a project with the long lead time
12-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #16552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Thanks, interesting to see the progress. To think it nearly got built in the 1940's, it has been a project with the long lead time
For many years I believed the concept to be about that old. The rumour was the US Marines, stationed at MacKay's Crossing, offered to build the inland route after they found the coastal route 'wanting'. However, I recently discovered the route was originally proposed in the 19th century!

I'm looking forward to being a frequent user when it opens. By joining up with the recently opened Kapiti Expressway, it will make the route from my place to Mum's a much more pleasant and easy drive. I don't even care if it takes longer, I'll be happy to be rid of stupidly engineered clearways and roundabouts and the need to slow through towns along the way (even though I grew up in one of them). I can be on the motorway in 2 minutes from my place, then it's cruise control for the next half hour. :-)

12-16-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #16553
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FYI Noel Leeming has 50% off sandisk products, including memory card today.
12-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #16554
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
An interesting experiment. Not great IQ, but a useful shot nevertheless. Achieved with the 52mm equivalent "telephoto" lens on an iPhone 11 Pro, held up to a pair of 12x50 binoculars for a 624mm equivalent focal length..
That just goes to show that there's more to photography than just the sharpest, highest quality image. I've thought about that quite a bit lately. Of course I want the best IQ I can get, but for documentary photography sometimes simply getting the image is good enough.

That still doesn't necessarily mean that a phone is always going to have the necessary capabilities even with a bit of No 8. wire ingenuity, but there are more reasons to take a photo than to have something of super-high IQ that you can mount on your wall.
12-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #16555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
... there are more reasons to take a photo than to have something of super-high IQ that you can mount on your wall.
Absolutely! That shot was taken just out of curiosity, but I have long opined that "culling" your images and throwing away the "not good" ones is a destructive process. The only shots I delete are those where it is not possible to distinguish what the photograph is of, such as an accidental shutter firing that yields just blurry grass or pavement. I'd say that's only a few shots per year.

I know people who have (what I consider) complicated processes to pick the best, flag the worst, wait, revisit, wait again, then delete. That's a lot of mental anguish that while it might seem like the right decision at the time, you might do differently later. My approach is dead simple - import everything, keep everything. From time to time as I am browsing my library I come across a shot that while unremarkable may have new significance.
12-24-2019, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #16556
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Christmas every one
12-24-2019, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #16557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Happy Christmas every one
Yes, Happy Christmas everyone. Welly managed to put on a mostly fine day without too much of that wind that has been a bit pesky lately.
12-25-2019, 12:27 AM   #16558
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merry Christmas.
12-25-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #16559
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And a merry bah humbug from Baz
12-25-2019, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #16560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Happy Boxing day, everyone! Hope that Santa was good to you and yours, you have a bit of time off and that it isn't raining too hard. Travel safe.