Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #16651
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
NZ_Ross's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Timaru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,569
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Nice camera Ross
Thanks Pete

02-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #16652
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
seriously any of you aps-c guys want the best super wide, the sigma is it.

Good to know. Wide on APS-C is the tricky bit.
Reminds me of that Pentax composition adjustment thing, where you can take 4 shots a bit wider than normal, by moving the sensor to each corner of it's SR adjustment limit.
Really wish Pentax would automate that concept.

Haven't used the Pentax much recently, but it did get an outing when we went camping. Need time to develop those photos.

Lately I've been experimenting lately with 360deg cameras.
I got the Xiaomi Mi Sphere camera from Amazon for just over $250 or. It's basically 2x GoPro cameras back to back on a very thin body.
Got the official 'selfie stick' and this is so thin the camera can't see it, so you end up with a viewpoint that's not anchored to you, it's all quite cool.
The Xiaomi is not bad for stills, but is poor ish by today's standards for video (lol sounds familiar as I write that).
You can edit the shots in Lightroom etc too, and it's quite a cool concept for realeastate, where you can basically make your own little google street view type tours.


Also have way too much family footage and projects for other people to edit. Need about a month away from the world to complete all those outstanding projects going back years now!
Here's a small short from a walk along the Rarotonga coast. iPhone 7, GoPro, and Xiaomi Mi Drone which I've since sold as is too involved to fly in most of NZ I visit.

02-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #16653
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,903
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Good to know. Wide on APS-C is the tricky bit.
Reminds me of that Pentax composition adjustment thing, where you can take 4 shots a bit wider than normal, by moving the sensor to each corner of it's SR adjustment limit.
Really wish Pentax would automate that concept.

Haven't used the Pentax much recently, but it did get an outing when we went camping. Need time to develop those photos.

Lately I've been experimenting lately with 360deg cameras.
I got the Xiaomi Mi Sphere camera from Amazon for just over $250 or. It's basically 2x GoPro cameras back to back on a very thin body.
Got the official 'selfie stick' and this is so thin the camera can't see it, so you end up with a viewpoint that's not anchored to you, it's all quite cool.
The Xiaomi is not bad for stills, but is poor ish by today's standards for video (lol sounds familiar as I write that).
You can edit the shots in Lightroom etc too, and it's quite a cool concept for realeastate, where you can basically make your own little google street view type tours.


Also have way too much family footage and projects for other people to edit. Need about a month away from the world to complete all those outstanding projects going back years now!
Here's a small short from a walk along the Rarotonga coast. iPhone 7, GoPro, and Xiaomi Mi Drone which I've since sold as is too involved to fly in most of NZ I visit.

Exploring Rarotonga - YouTube
Very nicely done Richard.
02-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #16654
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,903
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I was working in Masterton last week, and met up with Mark Jerling for a coffee on Friday afternoon. It was really good to catch up with him, and hear how much he is enjoying using his K-1, and the quality of results he is getting from it.

I have been sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a K-1, and I am still in no particular hurry - but Marks praise of the sensor and output quality has helped me off the fence
Just a pity it's not here for you to have a play with. Lets hope it's not in Japan for too long. (Got a bump and top (plastic) cracked by the flash mount, for those not in the know.)

02-16-2020, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #16655
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,260
Thats a bugger Mark
anyone passing the megalopolis of Whangas welcome to purloin mine
02-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #16656
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 10,623
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Thats a bugger Mark
anyone passing the megalopolis of Whangas welcome to purloin mine
Same offer for anyone passing Welly.

The K-1 is truly wonderful.
02-16-2020, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #16657
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
NZ_Ross's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Timaru
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,569
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Thats a bugger Mark
anyone passing the megalopolis of Whangas welcome to purloin mine
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Same offer for anyone passing Welly.

The K-1 is truly wonderful.
Thank you for the kind offers gents - I will keep them in mind

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Here's a small short from a walk along the Rarotonga coast
Really nice footage Rich, makes me want to go to Raro
02-16-2020, 10:56 PM   #16658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
zkarj's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington
Posts: 807
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I have been sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a K-1, and I am still in no particular hurry - but Marks praise of the sensor and output quality has helped me off the fence
Any time I get off a fence there's a good chance I'll face plant in the grass. I try not to think how much money I've spent on (non-Pentax) tech that has proven to be the wrong choice for me. I still want to do video but have learned it will be a pricey foray to get what I want. And if I solve that, the computer I now have won't cut it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
I'm giving it a go thanks
Feel free to ping me any questions. There's a decent enough forum on their site where you can read up about some of it, too. Like how the highlight slider is not what people expect.

The one thing to be sure you explore is getting the Optics Modules for your camera/lens combos. Anything modern won't be a problem, but none of my M lenses are available and the F35-70 is sadly also not available. There is one for the 90mm macro I just got, which was a significant factor in my purchase decision for the lens.

02-17-2020, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #16659
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GUB's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wanganui
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,733
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Thats a bugger Mark
anyone passing the megalopolis of Whangas welcome to purloin mine
Naaaa it would be prying it from cold lifeless fingers here!
02-20-2020, 10:26 PM   #16660
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,260
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote


Feel free to ping me any questions. There's a decent enough forum on their site where you can read up about some of it, too. Like how the highlight slider is not what people expect.

The one thing to be sure you explore is getting the Optics Modules for your camera/lens combos. Anything modern won't be a problem, but none of my M lenses are available and the F35-70 is sadly also not available. There is one for the 90mm macro I just got, which was a significant factor in my purchase decision for the lens.
cool thanks
02-24-2020, 12:19 AM   #16661
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
zkarj's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington
Posts: 807
I was discussing elsewhere online that Pentax's DSLR bodies are all weatherproofed, along with selected lenses. It occurred to me that I've only once used one in the rain, and that was essentially unintentional (getting caught out by a shower) and the result was unremarkable.

Does anyone have any photos that they got because of the WR nature of the camera and lens, and which show those conditions?
02-24-2020, 01:03 AM   #16662
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,260
That 8-16 now down to $375 ! seriously guys someone snag it, you won't be sorry


Last edited by Transit; 02-24-2020 at 01:55 AM.
02-24-2020, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #16663
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GUB's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wanganui
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,733
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I was discussing elsewhere online that Pentax's DSLR bodies are all weatherproofed, along with selected lenses. It occurred to me that I've only once used one in the rain, and that was essentially unintentional (getting caught out by a shower) and the result was unremarkable.

Does anyone have any photos that they got because of the WR nature of the camera and lens, and which show those conditions?
I have a few shots in the rain. But it is the peace of mind that matters. Last weekend I just did two 6 hour days tramping through dripping sub alpine forest in the kaimanawa forest. (Cascade hut). K1 near the top of my wet pack at the ready. Note that the WR of the camera is largely negated by my old lenses if free running water is encountered - but still peace of mind. Mossy shot A28 2.8. Whio courtesy of a 55 year old Nestar 400mm (Tamron). Cropped to under apsc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #16664
Pentaxian
richandfleur's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palmerston North, New Zealand
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
Nice shots Gub

---------- Post added 02-25-20 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I was discussing elsewhere online that Pentax's DSLR bodies are all weatherproofed, along with selected lenses. It occurred to me that I've only once used one in the rain, and that was essentially unintentional (getting caught out by a shower) and the result was unremarkable.

Does anyone have any photos that they got because of the WR nature of the camera and lens, and which show those conditions?


Not entirely sure, would have to look back. For me it's more a peace of mind thing that I'm not worried if it does start to rain.
Have used at the likes of kids sports activities, when most other cameras are being rushed away.
02-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #16665
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Blenheim
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 604
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
That 8-16 now down to $375 ! seriously guys someone snag it, you won't be sorry
There are a few nice Pentax lenses on Trademe at the moment. It's certainly tempting.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, bit, bobd, camera, display, ear, flickr, jun, k1, k5, kiwi, lens, lenses, new zealand, nz, pentax, pentaxians, photos, pig, pm, post, results, ross, saturation, sharpness, theatre, time, weeks, whanganui, yesterday
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kiwi Newbie :) Heidi Welcomes and Introductions 15 01-13-2011 09:04 PM
Another Kiwi has landed zk-cessnaguy Welcomes and Introductions 5 11-22-2010 05:00 AM
Another G'Day from an Oz Kiwi Tonto Welcomes and Introductions 4 04-26-2010 12:44 AM
Hi From yet another Kiwi Scott NZ Welcomes and Introductions 4 06-14-2009 07:24 PM
Kiwi sharp shooter (aspirations...) K-xx-500-user Welcomes and Introductions 11 10-07-2008 09:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top