Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2020, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #16771
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
downloading digikam...

---------- Post added 3rd May 2020 at 09:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Do you mean by "photo browser" an archiving/ library system ? If so have you tried Digikam. It has a reasonable raw processor as well as editing. I use it only as library and "open with" out of it. It used to be bit buggy on windows.
nah just a viewer...given up finding anything I ever saved

---------- Post added 3rd May 2020 at 10:00 PM ----------

My friend John died.
He planted a forest.

F-28/2.8

He was a keen photographer
https://johnsteele.zenfolio.com/ahu-ahu?fbclid=IwAR17OrRn7rWMJ1o8Jv7I6A-6jmO...lyecus6v5Pu8uY

Last edited by Transit; 05-03-2020 at 03:07 AM.
05-03-2020, 03:49 AM   #16772
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My condolences mate.
05-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #16773
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that, transit.
05-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #16774
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So sorry for your loss!

05-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #16775
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sad to hear that Pete. Was he one of the ohu crew?
Fastest "viewer" is Irfanview then hit T for thumbnails of the folder you are in.
Otherwise to find images find an old download of Picasa.
05-03-2020, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #16776
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
downloading digikam...[COLOR="Silver"]
My friend John died.
He planted a forest.

F-28/2.8

He was a keen photographer
Sorry to hear.
Nice forest. (and photos)

The forest will hopefully be around for many years, maybe centuries, to come, but I wonder, what happens to his photos?
I think it's a fatal flaw with all this subscription based cloud stuff. If you die, and stop paying the bills, what happens to it?
Of course there's always FacePlant, which will keep your content online in perpetuity for 'free', funded by fake political ads, but I'm not sure I want to inflict that on future generations.
05-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #16777
Pentaxian

Thanks Chaps.
It's his wife and kids I worry about.
Gub he was of the Ohu lot but never lived up there...will get irfanview thanks

---------- Post added 4th May 2020 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Sorry to hear.
Nice forest. (and photos)

The forest will hopefully be around for many years, maybe centuries, to come, but I wonder, what happens to his photos?
I think it's a fatal flaw with all this subscription based cloud stuff. If you die, and stop paying the bills, what happens to it?
Of course there's always FacePlant, which will keep your content online in perpetuity for 'free', funded by fake political ads, but I'm not sure I want to inflict that on future generations.
yeah I remember when he moved there, maybe 25 acres perhaps 30 years ago. Was all just a paddock. Now masses of paulonia, blackwoods, walnuts et al. Lots of native birds. The neighbours place still just a paddock, the contrast is remarkable.
Good point about his images. i will ask if I can help his wife with them when I see her.
Presumably he retained them on his PC

Last edited by Transit; 05-03-2020 at 07:23 PM.
05-03-2020, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #16778
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As you know Pete I have planted a lot of trees up here. But this is dairying country.
When I am done they will be gone by lunchtime.
So much for immortality!!
05-03-2020, 11:24 PM   #16779
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
As you know Pete I have planted a lot of trees up here. But this is dairying country.
When I am done they will be gone by lunchtime.
So much for immortality!!
It's a fickle business
Might turn into hemp oil country shortly !
The rate that it's sorting Jane's knee...might be a goer
05-04-2020, 03:03 AM - 1 Like   #16780
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yeah I remember when he moved there, maybe 25 acres perhaps 30 years ago. Was all just a paddock. Now masses of paulonia, blackwoods, walnuts et al. Lots of native birds. The neighbours place still just a paddock, the contrast is remarkable.
Sounds similar to what Mum and Dad have done. I actually had a hand in helping them plant some of the trees, and last time we visited, last year, my daughter helped continue the tradition by transplanting some from their patch.

Mum inherited the place from her mum, and it was just scrub at the time, gorse, blackberry and broom. Now there are large trees everywhere, not all native, but a lot of them are.
Mum and Dad ran out of space so they got permission from Ecan (E can't) to take over some 'reserve' land, that was constantly reinfesting the property with weeds. It's now native forest, but survives at the whim of Ecan, as there's a paper road which is nothing more than a dirt track that actually illegally cuts through Mum's property, and the local roading contractor got a consent on rather flimsy grounds they've never used to get shingle from the river.
If they ever decide to exercise their consent, Mum and Dad's forest may be gone, even though Ecan has never done anything to control noxious weeds, and Mum and Dad (and me and my brother at times we've visited), are the only reason there's anything else other than weeds there.
Mum's property is tiny, only half an acre officially, and it's surrounded by what were beef and sheep farms that have all been converted to dairy, and in the process pretty much ripped out anything green taller than a kale plant.
05-04-2020, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #16781
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

......as there's a paper road which is nothing more than a dirt track that actually illegally cuts through Mum's property, .......
If the paper road and the track don't follow the same route, you may well have some power to stop them should they ever try. Feel free to PM me and I can look into it for you in more detail if you want.
05-04-2020, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #16782
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Pete, sorry with regard to the loss of your mate.

Preserving bush or redeveloping it is still critical, and I hope the efforts continue regardless of some of the dire predictions here.

My wider families contribution is Otari-Wiltons Bush in Wellington. They (the Wiltons) owned the surrounding farm and decided to preserve the Bush. It still remains, and is now under the management of Wellington City Council. Pretty far sighted for the time, but a very nice place to spend some time in, and really nice bush in the centre of the city. We played in it when we were kids visiting relatives in Wellington - lots of good memories.

My sister currently lives in the original farm house, which is close to the bush.
05-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #16783
Pentaxian

Thanks Chaps.
John stuck his planted area in QE2 protection decades ago so hopefully all good.
05-04-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #16784
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having no photo browser what so ever left me rather gob smacked...I could open it from faststone but the tooing and frowing left me cold
No bulk editing at all it seems and I was gone.
It's a Photoshop competitor, not a Lightroom competitor. They are working on a DAM but there have been no clues as to how far away it is. I'm looking forward to that because as a PS competitor it's bloody good.

I've been all over the place on software lately. I was originally happy in LR, then switched to Aperture, then Apple killed that so I went back to LR, then I got sick of the subs, so went to Luminar which I loved as a creative tool, but the vendor is particularly slack at delivering on promises and their DAM was barely functional for me, so I then jumped to PhotoLab 3, which I adore the output from but again the DAM is a bit sketchy (better than Luminar in many ways though) and it has performance issues, so then I took a look at ON1 which also has (lesser) performance issues and simply does not bring out the detail like PhotoLab does. At the moment I use LR (with [I]no subscription]/I] to manage my photos and PhotoLab to process them, while still scoping out if ON1 can replace LR in that setup. In my ideal world, Serif would buy DxO's camera/lens "module" tech and build it into an Affinity DAM.

My friend John died.
He planted a forest.
Sorry to hear that. Forests are great places for reflection. A world of good for people, and good for the world, too.

On the "what happens to the photos" angle, I've got a single, master key, which is my password manager's master password. Inside the password manager are passwords to everything else of value (and much not). My photos are on my computer, backed up locally, backed up to the cloud, and, periodically, further archived to the cloud (i.e. in a non-expiring fashion given the bills keep getting paid).

There are ways of dealing with a digital legacy. Unfortunately, not many people appreciate the need for it, and less still understand how to do it effectively. Every few years I will see a story on a tech site about it, but rarely in the mainstream.

On the telly recently there was a story about a photography company which closed down and they simply gave their entire negative collection to a museum who are now digitising and publishing what they can. Hard copy photos are easy to keep but difficult to share. Digital photos are hard to keep but easy to share.

I'm in the process of writing a personal history and including as many photos as I reasonably can in it. I've been scanning slides and negatives to support some of the older bits and in doing so adding their entire contents into my digital photo collection. It's a fun process rediscovering memories and setting other memories straight where time had warped them. I've also been doing a fair bit of sleuthing online and through modern maps (Google, Apple Maps) to pinpoint places (often with only one or two photos to go on) and give some context along with the photos. It seems, at times, a little self indulgent, but I keep remembering how much I love hoovering up whatever I can find out about Dad from photos and stories scattered around. He, also, had started on his own personal history, but sadly he didn't get far before illness put a stop to it. Now he's gone, we can only piece together what he left. I want to make that much easier for my kids. They probably couldn't care less now, but I hope they will much later on.
05-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #16785
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hi Pete, sorry with regard to the loss of your mate.

Preserving bush or redeveloping it is still critical, and I hope the efforts continue regardless of some of the dire predictions here.

My wider families contribution is Otari-Wiltons Bush in Wellington. They (the Wiltons) owned the surrounding farm and decided to preserve the Bush. It still remains, and is now under the management of Wellington City Council. Pretty far sighted for the time, but a very nice place to spend some time in, and really nice bush in the centre of the city. We played in it when we were kids visiting relatives in Wellington - lots of good memories.

My sister currently lives in the original farm house, which is close to the bush.
My daughter, Annabelle, lives just down the road from there. They have walked there often. It's a lovely bit of preserved bush and so close to the city.