Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 11:51 PM   #16861
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, the 77 Limited turned up today, and of course I was in Christchurch for the day - helping my son buy his first car. So, I didn't get to use the 77 today in daylight.

Bitterly cold and wet day here in Canterbury, not the best day to be trying cars out - yes Bob, point conceded today .

Heaps of new snow on the hills, and I expect quite a bit more overnight, so I think we will go find some snow to play in tomorrow, and I will see how the 77 Limited performs.

Oh, and a car was purchased today, which is good

06-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #16862
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
So, the 77 Limited turned up today, and of course I was in Christchurch for the day - helping my son buy his first car. So, I didn't get to use the 77 today in daylight.

Bitterly cold and wet day here in Canterbury, not the best day to be trying cars out - yes Bob, point conceded today .

Heaps of new snow on the hills, and I expect quite a bit more overnight, so I think we will go find some snow to play in tomorrow, and I will see how the 77 Limited performs.

I hope it's a Ford!

Sounds like you're in a different country from us! It's been quite mild here over the last few days. Mild as in short sleeves.
06-07-2020, 12:19 AM - 2 Likes   #16863
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I hope it's a Ford!
Mazda

Sounds like you're in a different country from us! It's been quite mild here over the last few days. Mild as in short sleeves.
Really nice up at Tekapo today, sun was shining, the wind was cold, but lots of fun was had in the snow. These images were all taken with the 77 Limited. A couple showing the snow around Tekapo, and a couple of my youngest, all dressed up for the snow, then making a snow angel.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #16864
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots Ross. No snow on our ranges yet.

06-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #16865
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots Ross. No snow on our ranges yet.
Thanks, there is plenty of snow down here, which will be good for the ski fields and the tourist towns.

I am happy enough with the 77 Limited too, given this was the first day using it. Lovely lens.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 06-07-2020 at 01:27 AM.
06-07-2020, 04:16 AM   #16866
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Really nice up at Tekapo today, sun was shining, the wind was cold, but lots of fun was had in the snow. These images were all taken with the 77 Limited. A couple showing the snow around Tekapo, and a couple of my youngest, all dressed up for the snow, then making a snow angel.
Never been at Tekapo when it's been snowing, although some day I might make it.

It's been getting chilly up the top of the island, with some snow on the higher peaks, but not much yet.

---------- Post added 06-07-20 at 11:43 PM ----------

Speaking of family, and playing with new toys, here's one of my efforts with the FA 35/2.0 AL
Seeing there isn't a weather sealed, quick shift, non-screw drive version I'm very happy with this. Some of the DA lenses at this focal length do have quick shift, but still don't have weather sealing, are slower, APS-C and are also screw drive, so I think this is probably the pick of the 35mm primes.
Turns out for a walk around prime to be better than the FA 50/1.4 on APS-C as although both are sharp, this includes a hood, and this is a better focal length to do both portraits and landscapes with just one lens.
06-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #16867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Good grief. There's that shrinking world again. A chap I know only online but with whom I have been conversing for many years now, grew up in Abergavenny and then joined the RAF, though he was never in Tornados that I know of.
It's a very small world indeed!

06-09-2020, 04:39 AM   #16868
Pentaxian

congrats Ross !!!
Nice first day shots !

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2020 at 11:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
..... here's one of my efforts with the FA 35/2.0 AL
Seeing there isn't a weather sealed, quick shift, non-screw drive version I'm very happy with this. Some of the DA lenses at this focal length do have quick shift, but still don't have weather sealing, are slower, APS-C and are also screw drive, so I think this is probably the pick of the 35mm primes.......
crikey that's got some pop !
a trick to fake quickshift...depress lens release button disables AF
manual focus to taste
I always rotate the focus ring slightly after so the drive shaft re-engages...makes a tiny click
06-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #16869
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit of a gamble on the focus issue here but rare enough to be worth grabbing
Attached Images

06-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #16870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Buy it!
Oh, I see you did. Doesn't matter if it doesn't focus, right?
I think I sold some of my stuff to "Spray".
06-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #16871
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Buy it!
Oh, I see you did. Doesn't matter if it doesn't focus, right?
I think I sold some of my stuff to "Spray".
Well I am hoping it focuses! But AF may be another story.
It is going to be interesting to compare it to earlier pentax 135mm. I don't have an "A" but the Tak Bayonet 2.5 I have is sharp as. Its formula 4 elements in 4 groups. The FA 8 in 7. The old Tak m42 135 2.5 s I have are all the early design (5in4 groups) and are well behind the Tak bayonet wide open.
06-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #16872
Pentaxian

Are you going for those new-fangled autofocus sort of lenses now Mate !
06-17-2020, 12:54 AM   #16873
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I am hoping it focuses! But AF may be another story.
I had a look at it, but the focus issue put me off. I will be interested how it goes - hopefully you have got a very good lens that still does the job

Well done

Ross

---------- Post added 17-06-20 at 07:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
congrats Ross !!!
Nice first day shots !
Thanks Pete, it was the use of your one a few years back that made me keen to purchase a 77 Limited at the right price. I am very pleased to have one now .
06-17-2020, 03:13 AM   #16874
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Are you going for those new-fangled autofocus sort of lenses now Mate !
Slowly getting a stable of them. FA 100 3.5 macro, F50 1.7, FA50 1.4 , the da 40 xs and a bunch of the usual crappy zooms. Thing is they are good to have at times when it doesn't suit to MF or have the LCD viewfinder on the back (like overseas travel). Nepal was a good example.
06-17-2020, 03:35 AM   #16875
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a look at it, but the focus issue put me off. I will be interested how it goes - hopefully you have got a very good lens that still does the job
Yeah it can go two ways. One is he is acknowledging a small shortcoming to set the ground for a really crappy lens. More likely it is someone overemphasising a lack of success with the lens and scared of a negative feedback.