Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #16981
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
You should have popped in while you were here!
I thought about it, but didn't have wheels. We took the train from Wellington, and my brother had to work until the weekend, so we were pretty much stuck at his place. My daughter had a great time with her cousins, but I took my laptop and basically worked as there wasn't much else to do, especially given the weather. Their place has gone from drought in summer to almost a wetland at the moment.
At some stage I'll try to get across with the car, as that will give me a bit more mobility, although it certainly costs more. I actually wonder if I come across for the weekend at some stage whether a rental car might be cheaper than taking my own vehicle across Cook Strait.

07-20-2020, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #16982
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I thought about it, but didn't have wheels. We took the train from Wellington, and my brother had to work until the weekend, so we were pretty much stuck at his place. My daughter had a great time with her cousins, but I took my laptop and basically worked as there wasn't much else to do, especially given the weather. Their place has gone from drought in summer to almost a wetland at the moment.
At some stage I'll try to get across with the car, as that will give me a bit more mobility, although it certainly costs more. I actually wonder if I come across for the weekend at some stage whether a rental car might be cheaper than taking my own vehicle across Cook Strait.
Next time you're up, and stuck without transport, give me a shout and I'll come a get you. We can grab a coffee or something and play with cameras.
07-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #16983
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually wonder if I come across for the weekend at some stage whether a rental car might be cheaper than taking my own vehicle across Cook Strait.
The most expensive strip of water in the country. Shame there are no Bristol Freighters left.
07-21-2020, 03:55 AM   #16984
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The most expensive strip of water in the country. Shame there are no Bristol Freighters left.
We need a bridge. Or a tunnel. Unfortunately, it will be too damn expensive. The world's longest floating bridge is only 2.4km lomg and Cook Strait is much wider than that, and has much fiercer weather. And numerous earthquake faults.
I do wonder why we don't have a nice big ferry running all the way from Wellington to Lyttleton.

07-21-2020, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #16985
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I do wonder why we don't have a nice big ferry running all the way from Wellington to Lyttleton.
We used to - the Rangitira - I went on it when I was a nipper

My memory was it was a pretty rough trip too - it was an overnight sailing, so you got a room with bunks.
07-21-2020, 04:48 AM   #16986
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
We used to - the Rangitira - I went on it when I was a nipper

My memory was it was a pretty rough trip too - it was an overnight sailing, so you got a room with bunks.
With a nice big modern ship you could do two sailings a day, easily. Roughly 8 hours from Wellington to Lyttleton at 28 knots or thereabouts. Heck with a fast ferry going 40 knots you'd be able to do three sailings a day with a sailing time of roughly 5.5 hours. I have no idea why we don't have that option.
07-21-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #16987
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With a nice big modern ship you could do two sailings a day, easily. Roughly 8 hours from Wellington to Lyttleton at 28 knots or thereabouts. Heck with a fast ferry going 40 knots you'd be able to do three sailings a day with a sailing time of roughly 5.5 hours. I have no idea why we don't have that option.
I went on the Wahine when we moved from Wanganui to Dunedin in 1968. As we never had a car, and Dad worked for the Railways, Lyttelton was a good place to start for the train trip south. From memory, it was something like a 12 hour sail. Things went south after the Wahine went down.

End of the line - Lyttelton-Wellington ferries | NZHistory, New Zealand history online

07-22-2020, 03:01 AM   #16988
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Well there is one ... that trundles around Omaka airfield occasionally, but it's far from airworthy, even though the engines work. I suspect it wouldn't be exactly cheap to put the car on one to get across Cook Strait if they were still flying, although it would be a good deal quicker than taking the ferry.

---------- Post added 07-22-20 at 10:10 PM ----------

We need a bridge. Or a tunnel. Unfortunately, it will be too damn expensive. The world's longest floating bridge is only 2.4km lomg and Cook Strait is much wider than that, and has much fiercer weather. And numerous earthquake faults.
... and very deep in places. On the way back on the ferry I saw a nice high resolution depth chart on the wall in the ferry, and there's a giant canyon that puts the Grand Canyon to shame.
Even if there were no seismic activity, building a bridge or tunnel with that in the way would be a major challenge.
07-22-2020, 04:56 AM   #16989
Pentaxian

Maybe we could enter into some bizarre alliance with those pesky Ruskys
and resurrect the Ekranoplan !
Might have to flop down on the Straight but would rip down the coast...
No later asbestos removal either !

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2020 at 12:12 AM ----------

... and very deep in places. On the way back on the ferry I saw a nice high resolution depth chart on the wall in the ferry, and there's a giant canyon that puts the Grand Canyon to shame.
Even if there were no seismic activity, building a bridge or tunnel with that in the way would be a major challenge.
The light blue is about 1200 feet...shudder

Last edited by Transit; 07-22-2020 at 05:15 AM.
07-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #16990
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
and resurrect the Ekranoplan !
What was it they called it? The Caspian sea monster? The harbour here in wangas would be perfect!
07-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #16991
Pentaxian

She could start winding up by the highway bridge and be elevated enough to clear the bar... great spectator sport
07-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #16992
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
She could start winding up by the highway bridge and be elevated enough to clear the bar... great spectator sport
It would be great in winter - the blast from those jets would warm the town right up your gully Pete.
07-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #16993
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well there is one ... that trundles around Omaka airfield occasionally, but it's far from airworthy, even though the engines work. I suspect it wouldn't be exactly cheap to put the car on one to get across Cook Strait if they were still flying, although it would be a good deal quicker than taking the ferry.

---------- Post added 07-22-20 at 10:10 PM ----------

That's why a floating bridge is really the only realistic option. Too deep for conventional bridge footings. Maybe we can just fill the whole thing in and have one big island!
07-22-2020, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #16994
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's why a floating bridge is really the only realistic option. Too deep for conventional bridge footings. Maybe we can just fill the whole thing in and have one big island!
The Tararuas are sitting around doing nothin! Great raw material for a tidal dam / roadway. Need some big dozers tho!
07-22-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #16995
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The Tararuas are sitting around doing nothin! Great raw material for a tidal dam / roadway. Need some big dozers tho!
Genius !
Please accept my nomination for your elevation to position of minister of civil works in the incoming National ACT Green government

---------- Post added 23rd Jul 2020 at 10:33 AM ----------

..... Maybe we can just fill the whole thing in and have one big island!
Sell the Taranaki seafloor for mining to the Chinese then they could fill the straight with it ...everybody wins no asbestos removal required lots of various volcanic
exudates though
« GR x GIN Social | - »