Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #17281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
That new(ish) Laowa 2x 100mm macro is so difficult to handle. Learning how to use it at the moment with the help of this bee.
That's some impressive magnification. I can see from the EXIF data it was only F/4 which is not a huge amount of depth anyway, and even more of an issue with extreme macro, although in this case more DOF might not have worked that well anyway, as it would be just about impossible to get everything in focus, and concentrating on just a part of the bee seems to work.

With the D-FA 100 which is 1:1, I usually use between F/11 - F/16 to get some depth of field, although I realise focus stacking is the only way to go if I want serious DOF, but that means investing in equipment and software.

02-02-2021, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #17282
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The shallow depth of field actually works very nicely with this image.
Thanks! It took a lot of playing around to find an angle that didn't punish me for being too lazy to focus stack

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I see you are using a K-1 - an extra whammy for dof. I have evolved to pulling away a bit and cropping in post to gain a bit of dof. -- If you double the distance (halve the degree of magnification) then you gain 2 stops of dof. (but a 1/4 of the number of pixels).
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I can see from the EXIF data it was only F/4 which is not a huge amount of depth anyway.
I hate to admit it but I love bokeh and I love to pixel peep. I kinda wanted to stop down for more DoF but diffraction spooked me and so I went back to F/4.

I guess I need to get another few dead bees from my mate with beehives and keep practicing.
02-02-2021, 04:17 AM   #17283
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by impossibro Quote
Thanks! It took a lot of playing around to find an angle that didn't punish me for being too lazy to focus stack

I hate to admit it but I love bokeh and I love to pixel peep. I kinda wanted to stop down for more DoF but diffraction spooked me and so I went back to F/4.

I guess I need to get another few dead bees from my mate with beehives and keep practicing.
Yeah I go for bokeh rather than trying to squeeze maximum dof. This may not win any Natural history competitions but so what. The art is manipulating the angle of the shot to get things in focus while at the same time being background / bokeh aware. !00mm focal length and longer have an advantage here because you can be more selective in the background. And anyway even at f22 a 1 to 1 macro has only about 3mm dof and that is nowhere enough to satisfy an all in focus shot. I find focus stacking tedious and I have had a reasonably low success rate with my open source software. And in the few times I have been successful I don't particularly like the result.
02-02-2021, 04:52 AM - 5 Likes   #17284
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And the advantage of opening aperture is of course better shutter speeds etc.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-05-2021, 01:56 AM   #17285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool pics GUB!

Fascinating that the reflections in the drops are themselves outside the DOF. Makes perfect, optical sense, but seems counterintuitive at first.
02-05-2021, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #17286
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Zkarj. But they are refractions - not reflections. Same thing applies tho. But it is a very wide angle image thru the drop so it has a reasonably high dof. The lens images are a little unexpectedly unsharp in the second shot. Here is a shot that show how wide angle the droplet images are. The specks in the drops is actually the neighbouring droplets.
02-05-2021, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #17287
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A crop of the above

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-05-2021, 06:48 PM - 2 Likes   #17288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

they are refractions - not reflections.
I knew that.

My main experience is in reflections — notably trying not to post selfies when taking product shots of computer or tablet screens for TradeMe.
02-18-2021, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #17289
Pentaxian

Who can word a nice email to these people who have "stolen" my photo?
See it here - Weta - Puketi Forest Trust, Northland, New Zealand.
and here - New Zeland Tree Weta - Pentax User Photo Gallery

I'm happy for them to use it for nothing, being a good cause 'n all, but I'd like to educate them, and should really have a photo credit.
02-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #17290
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

I'm happy for them to use it for nothing, being a good cause 'n all, but I'd like to educate them, and should really have a photo credit.
I think you have written it yourself in your line.
I suspect a volunteer just needs a nudge in the right direction.
02-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #17291
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It gets worse. I just did a reverse image search of several other photos on their website, and they're all stolen.
02-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #17292
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It gets worse. I just did a reverse image search of several other photos on their website, and they're all stolen.
If they have gone to the effort of flipping them then they have a sense of wrongdoing.
Trouble is no one ever steals mine
02-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #17293
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trouble is no one ever steals mine
02-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #17294
Pentaxian

I think you have written it yourself in your line.
I suspect a volunteer just needs a nudge in the right direction.
Yeah I know what I want to say, but I can be a bit blunt, so I want to educate them in a nice way and not be an arsehole about it. I thought maybe someone here had a "template" for this stuff. No probs of course if nobody does.
02-19-2021, 12:56 AM   #17295
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The email should say: "Please add a caption to the image stating that it was taken with a Pentax *istDS." That should suffice.

Seriously, I think they should credit the image, using a pointer to the author of your choosing (e.g., your website). It wouldn't cost them anything.