Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2021, 09:27 PM   #17341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Thanks! I gave the telescope to my friend whose house burnt down and he lost his. Will lend him my laser and chesire
Yw. As Jones/Bird scopes use a spherical primary instead of a parabaloid, you can always go down this rabbit hole:

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/uploads/Adler-MirrorFlex.pdf

03-07-2021, 03:21 AM   #17342
Pentaxian

Hard case! flex to shape
03-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #17343
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I've been on the road the last week, but managed to take a few photos like this one.

Fox Glacier
Nice capture!

What's the vibe around access to the glaciers now?

Once upon a time these were very close to ground/sea level, but I understand with climate change they've retreated along way back up the valleys now.
How accessible are they?

May be travelling down that way later this year and will have an elderly person with us who won't be able to walk for too long, especially over any uneven ground.
Considering a heli tour instead, but though I'd ask.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 03-08-21 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I still remember the giddy excitement of my *istDS purchase. SIX megapixels and could take my old Sigma lenses from the MZ-50. Bliss.
We followed pretty much the same path. Fleur had the MZ-50 and in australia we picked up a K100d duty free and could share the lenses.
We had a sigma as the standard lens on the k100d too.

Sadly that was the last time we used a 'full frame' Pentax (well film size) as was all APS-C after that, with it's tiny optical viewfinder.
I found my Dad's much older film Canon the other day whilst clearing their house out to downsize. He was majorly into Photography back in the day and pickup up the cold metal body with hard edges, and a leather strap etc was a tactile experience you just don't get anymore. The viewfinder was amazing, wide and bright and clear. Nostalgia overload and makes me yearn for a simpler process where you are more involved, but that's a story for another day I guess.
03-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #17344
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another bargain opportunity: Pentax D-FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 for $599 instead of the usual $999.

03-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #17345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Another bargain opportunity: Pentax D-FA 28-105/3.5-5.6 for $599 instead of the usual $999.
Yep, looks good. That's the K-1 kit lens from memory?

Side conversation but since receiving the newer plm zoom I've been amazed by it's focus speed.
I really do wonder if the choice to maintain the internal screw drive motor has held Pentax back in the focussing department for years.
This newer lens in insanely quick to focus, plus almost silent as well.
03-07-2021, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #17346
Pentaxian

The newly arrived F 70/200 also has psycho focus speed and enough recoil to startle bystanders :-)
03-08-2021, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #17347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Nice capture!

What's the vibe around access to the glaciers now?

Once upon a time these were very close to ground/sea level, but I understand with climate change they've retreated along way back up the valleys now.
How accessible are they?

May be travelling down that way later this year and will have an elderly person with us who won't be able to walk for too long, especially over any uneven ground.
Considering a heli tour instead, but though I'd ask.

You definitely can't get as close as it was possible 15 years ago, the last time I went. The walk is to the viewing point at Franz Joseph is pretty flat, not all that long, and well maintained so easy enough, but you certainly don't get close to the glacier, although you do get a decent view.

We didn't try from the ground at Fox, as they were doing 10 minute glacier flights for $99 pp, and for that we got to cover what would have taken a couple of days of extreme tramping. An extra $50 would have got us a glacier landing, but we were watching our funds, although at least we made a small contribution to the local economy.

---------- Post added 03-08-21 at 09:49 PM ----------

I picked one up used for somewhat less than that, although the 16-85 would be better on the K-70, the D-FA was cheap, so I got it as I wanted a weather sealed general purpose zoom.

Apart from having a very stiff zoom, it seems to be a decent lens. The glacier image was taken with it. I wasn't sure what sort of weather I might strike on the coast, so not having to worry about humidity was handy.
I had the D-FA 100 2.8 macro and DA*50-135 2.8 with me as well that were also weather sealed, but the 50-135 was only with me because we were going to a wedding.

03-08-2021, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #17348
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's the K-1 kit lens from memory?
Yes, still sold as a bundle with the K-1 II.

I really do wonder if the choice to maintain the internal screw drive motor has held Pentax back in the focussing department for years.
Well, keeping the motor in the body just avoids disgruntled customers, as the later are able to continue using their existing AF lenses. It does not hold back modern lenses with their own built-in AF drives.

The question as to whether Pentax should have started earlier to sell lenses with built-in AF motors has pretty much become moot now, AFAIC, because if there is anything holding Pentax back now, it is sticking to OVFs. Many argue, Pentax should have entered the MILC race a long time ago already.

However, it could just be that sticking to OVFs is not holding Pentax back, but is providing it with the only unique selling proposition that could allow them to survive. Nikon, for instance, is not doing well in the MILC battlefield. They are only fifth regarding MILCs now (even behind Olympus) and had to suffer dramatic losses. They have closed two lens factories in Japan, holding on to only one Japanese factory now, and shifted all camera production to Thailand. Prior to that, prestige items like the D850 had been manufactured in Japan. I don't see how Pentax would be able to survive in such an environment.
03-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #17349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, still sold as a bundle with the K-1 II.

The question as to whether Pentax should have started earlier to sell lenses with built-in AF motors has pretty much become moot now, AFAIC, because if there is anything holding Pentax back now, it is sticking to OVFs. Many argue, Pentax should have entered the MILC race a long time ago already.
I think both OVFs and EVFs have their pros and cons. I love the ability with Pentax with a quick shift lens, and OVF I can take the camera out, focus and compose an image without having to turn it on, and then if I think an image is worth it, switch on and capture quickly. Before my Pentax DSLRs I had two Fujifilm bridge cameras that came out before Fujifilm introduced the X series, and while they took nice photos, between the boot time and EVF lag, they couldn't match my Pentax DSLRs, and battery life on Pentax is way better.
I realise MILCs have come along way since the bridge cameras I had, and for video, I tend to prefer a EVF over a rear screen, although most pro videographers seem to use external video monitors.

I think if there were a dream scenario, it would be a hybrid OVF/EVF that would use OVF when the mirror is down, but when it's up, have a way of projecting into the OVF an EVF image. Given the state of the camera market, I'm not sure that's likely to happen as it would be likely a complex and expensive bit of technology to implement if it's possible.
03-09-2021, 12:10 AM - 2 Likes   #17350
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax expensive?

Last night I found myself watching a nice YouTube Leica presentation on the new APO M Summicron 35mm f2 ASPH lens. Very nice looking lens, promises a lot, I wondered how much it is in NZ?

A little back story. 9 years ago I was shooting a Nikon D200 and wanted something smaller, lighter, more modern, and preferably weather sealed for landscapes and travel. The main comparison came down to the Nikon D7000 verses the Pentax K5. The Pentax came out ahead in my evaluation at the time, so I swapped systems, and have stayed with Pentax since. I also seriously looked at Leica at the time 9 years ago, but whilst small and portable was very expensive and not weather sealed.

I really like Leica's lenses, and have Leitaxed a Leica R 90mm f2.8, and might do the same for some other Leica lenses in the future, as I enjoy using old manual focus lenses - which was also another attraction of entering the Pentax system 9 years ago.

So back to last nights small bit of camera purchasing analysis. I wondered to myself what a full frame camera, film camera, and three prime lens kit might be in NZ for both Leica and Pentax. I currently have digital and film cameras that share lenses, so this was the idea behind the kit specification

Leica: M10R (40MP), MP (film camera), APO Sumicron f2 M lenses - 35mm, 50mm and 90mm. This is the classic Leica 3 lens set. The APO Sumicron M lenses are top specification and very expensive, nothing but the best for this comparison. All equipment new prices listed in $NZ including GST at list prices. Note none of the Leica kit is particularly water resistant

Pentax: K-1 II, K-3 III (assumed $3K price), LX (2nd hand for film camera), FA 31/1.8, DFA 50/1.4, DFA 85 1.4. All priced NZ new except the LX film camera. I am not sure how the DFA lenses would work on the LX, but I wanted to spec in the newest and best quality primes for the comparison. In my opinion the FA31 is the pick of the available new Pentax primes around the 35mm focal range. I added both the FF and APS-C cameras, because I could afford to in this comparison, and it seemed a nice idea. You can do the math of taking the K-3 III out of the comparison if you want to. $NZ including GST at list prices.

This comparison was of the manufacturers lenses, and excluded third party lenses - which are available for both Pentax K, and Leica M systems. I also wanted best quality available lens kits and full frame cameras from the manufacturer.

Other notes: this is of course comparing a rangefinder system with a DSLR system, and perhaps a better true comparison would have been Pentax K system verses Leica SL system. The analysis started with looking at a video of the new M system APO Leica 35/2 so that is why the comparison was done that way. The Leica kit is a lot smaller and more portable.

So the comparison dollars for the two kits above:

Leica Kit: M10R, MP, APO Summicron f2 35mm, 50mm and 90mm NZ$58,570
Pentax Kit: K-1 II, K-3 III (assumed $3K), LX, FA31mm, DFA 50mm, DFA 85mm NZ$13,900

The price of the APO Summicron f2 35mm that started this analysis $12,900 - that is right, you can buy the entire Pentax kit for $1,000 more than one nice new Leica lens.

From time to time here on Pentax Forum I see people grizzling about how expensive Pentax is, and because of that they are leaving yada yada yada.

From this analysis, Pentax is incredibly affordable - yes I am comparing it with a luxury product, and yes those Leica lenses have the mythical Leica 'look' and bokeh to die for, but is it worth four times the cost? Some of course say yes, for me I remain very happy with the value proposition that Pentax offers us.

Analysis complete

Cheers

Ross
03-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #17351
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fleur had the MZ-50 and in australia we picked up a K100d duty free and could share the lenses.
Ha! I picked up the MZ-50 duty free in Melbourne while on holiday with the missus.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I realise MILCs have come along way since the bridge cameras I had, and for video, I tend to prefer a EVF over a rear screen
I had an EVF video camera in the late 1980s and it was... challenging.

I'm still to be convinced to accept an EVF on a stills camera, not that I've actually tried any since the Fuji S3000. It had a half decent EVF but a killer lag when the shutter fired such that panning on an aircraft had to be done at arm's length (pushed against the strap for stability) while I sighted over the top of the camera in concert with the rear screen, otherwise for about 1.5 seconds I had no idea where the subject had gone.
03-09-2021, 01:46 AM   #17352
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I already use my K-1 as an EVF camera. It has most of the time a lcd viewer attached to it. Some situations like awkward macro is best with just liveview without the viewfinder.
So you may think a mirrorless is a no-brainer for me.
But I utilise my camera in the most basic M mode and Manual focus included.
And so that crappola they put on the sensor for user convenience (AF points etc) is in the league of dust on the sensor for me.
Thank the lord for the mirror placing these sensors elsewhere.
Perfect for me would be a modular Pentaprism area where you can slide the OVF module off and slip on an EVF. But still keeping the mirror to keep the sensor clear of crap.
03-09-2021, 02:44 AM   #17353
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Perfect for me would be a modular Pentaprism area where you can slide the OVF module off and slip on an EVF. But still keeping the mirror to keep the sensor clear of crap.
So a digital LX but with the choice of OVF and EVF modules. That would be a very sweet camera
03-09-2021, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #17354
Pentaxian

Bits of this last discussion got me thinking too:

Cost of Pentax

Big thing for me is the size of the second hand market. With Pentax having next to no coverage in NZ at all, outside a few specialty camera stores, there's very little in the way of a second hand market around modern lenses/ bodies etc.
New they may still be competitive, but a quick search for Canikony lenses in NZ will return lots of results on trademe/facebook marketplace etc, vs almost nothing for modern Pentax lenses.

The k100d was the last DSLR camera body or lens that I purchased new, and most of my current gear has come from UK via family there purchasing for me or Australia
I'm certain this would be different if Pentax was carried in the likes of Harvey Norman and Noel Leemings etc, like nearly every other brand.

AF

The concept of on sensor phase detection points appeals to me more than others. The K-70 has these and I'm yet to hear any complaining about image quality degradation from these, so I don't think it's a universal failure because a few do. Over processing of noise reduction killing stars sounds like a much larger problem than banding in some lighting scenarios. On sensor enables the ability to track objects in real time, right across the frame, and introduces all the analytical smarts of object detection (even down to nearest eye etc) and continuous focus tracking, that just would never get a look in with the current DSLR AF approach.

Depending on the style of shooting, AF may not matter at all. Anything tripod based at night or to capture water with a long exposure etc, and I'm instantly into live view and focus peaking in manual focus.
Currently I don't trust Pentax AF that much, so 9 times out of 10 I'm on centre focus point only. With the new PLM lens I may extend that to object tracking over the 9 or 25 wider points, which I've used a bit better in the past for kids sports events.

I'm still using an original K-3, which was released in late 2013, so AF may have improved a lot since then.

EVF/ Future Pentax
Comparing EVF experiences with 20 year old handi cam tech is really not being particularly fair.
Personally I prefer the optical viewfinder, but do appreciate the smarts a mirrorless approach brings.
Of more importance to me is what the sensor sees and final image than enjoying an optical viewfinder but find I didn't get the shot I thought i was getting.

For portraits I'd love to be able to hand hold with a solid stance up to my eye, but with the camera able to to do eye AF through the viewfinder, but that can't happen in optical mode.

Was waiting to see what the new K-3 iii would look like but see that's been delayed again indefinitely.
Realistically would have been outside my price range, especially for an APS-C camera, but wanted to see what they finally did in video terms.
Video spec Pentax really is still pushing the 2012 K-30 and K-01 capabilities still, which has come as a shock to some new K-1 owners.

Points of difference

What has annoyed me a bit though, is Pentax had a really solid link to release a retro camera, but both Olympus and Fuji have led the way on that.
This history was there to release something in metal again. The KP was the closest but see it's out of production now.

I too did the value assessment back when I got the K-30 and at the time Pentax still stacked up really well against the competition.
Not aiming to seem negative here, but looking back there were many points going for Pentax that today are common place across many manufacturers.
Examples were weather sealing, compatibility with lots of legacy lenses, in camera stabilisation etc.
03-09-2021, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #17355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My personal view is I have only ever had one stills camera. It has evolved from the Cosina CS-? I was handed in 1986 to currently the KP. That "one" camera has used the same handful of lenses, but the lenses have changed, too. It's what... and all... I know. So I have no plans to change to anything else. Partly because I just couldn't be arsed to make all the comparisons on so many different factors. (To be fair, you lot are to blame for the fact I have obtained a collection of lenses in the last 5 years, beyond the maximum two I have owned for most of my life. )

Video, on the other hand. Well, nothing in my price range will do what I want. Time will tell on that one.