Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Nah sorry, I just stick the 2x on my 70-200 and I got a 400/5.6!
IQ wise the Schneider-Kreuznach should be in front, though.
The flickr images look pretty impressive. Haven't seen anything like it from a combo involving a 2x converter.

It's amazing, I reckon, the 640mm combo, equiv of 960mm on film, could only ever dream about that in the good ol' days!
I don't think you can calculate it that way. 640mm on an APS-C camera doesn't give you the reach of a 960mm on a 35mm camera. At least not everything else being equal. After all, the 35mm camera guy can just crop his 35mm negative (or image) to APS-C size and then claim he's got 960mm reach as well.

What the film guys could only dream about, to the best of my knowledge, is the low grain and the resolution at high ISO. We don't really desperately need the fast lenses anymore. Not for speed anyhow, just for thin DOF.

12-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
IQ wise the Schneider-Kreuznach should be in front, though.
I don't think you can calculate it that way.
Stop spoiling my fun!!
12-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
It has been on my watch-list since the day it listed. Waiting for the bidding frenzy which will be tomorrow night.

What would be hilarious is if all the watchers are members of this forum and you do get it for $50, haha.
wanna make me an offer now ?
12-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Of course you should!

Hmmm, a 360/5.5. Nah sorry, I just stick the 2x on my 70-200 and I got a 400/5.6! Or my 2x on my 80-320 and get a 640/11!

It's amazing, I reckon, the 640mm combo, equiv of 960mm on film, could only ever dream about that in the good ol' days!
the numbers game eh ?
with this beauty on the 2x tamron I get 720/11, 1170mm film

12-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #170
Veteran Member

What the film guys could only dream about, to the best of my knowledge, is the low grain and the resolution at high ISO.
I must say, ISO 800 on the K20 reaaaally impresses me. ISO 800 film.... not so much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
wanna make me an offer now ?
Haha let's just see how the auction goes, shall we?
12-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #171

Hey guys, here's a quick question from an absolute newbie - where do you get your gear? No one seems to stock Pentax on Queen St (Auckland) and even the K200D I was watching on TradeMe has now mysteriously disappeared...
12-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ezra Quote
Hey guys, here's a quick question from an absolute newbie - where do you get your gear? No one seems to stock Pentax on Queen St (Auckland) and even the K200D I was watching on TradeMe has now mysteriously disappeared...
Welcome to the forum! Firstly, a quick word about those auctions for brand new items on TradeMe - usually they are parallel import, and the seller will actually obtain the item as soon as you win the auction. I don't think many people have been interested in these, and they've probably mostly given up.

If you want officially imported Pentax stuff, try one of the camera shops. I know Auckland Camera Centre in New North Road has some, since I bought a K20 off them a couple of months ago. There is also Photo Warehouse who have a shop in Queen Street - I've previous seen Pentax stuff in their Great North Road store. I'd call either of these stores before actually visiting, to check what they do have in stock. There is also the option of ordering from Photo & Video International in Christchurch, but that doesn't much help you with getting to try things out before you buy.

Another (surprising) place to check may be JB Hifi, I've seen a K20 in one of their stores before, but I don't know about the Queen St store. Pretty much any camera shop can order Pentax stuff for you, and unfortunately, this is pretty much the only way to get officially imported examples of most lenses, etc.

If you want to save money, and get parallel imported stuff, there is etown in Newmarket, and others.

There is also the option of buying yourself from overseas stores which will mail things here, such as B and H. You'll likely have to pay GST on the goods though!

12-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #173
Pentaxian

Gidday ezra, welcome !
I think cpopham has covered it
I got a quote of $1200 without lens for a K200D from P&V a while ago. make sure you get the series II kit lens if you get that cam. Some places are unloading the series I lens with it.
Let us know how you get on
Pete
12-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #174
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Ezra,

welcome to the form and this group!

where do you get your gear?
In Auckland you could check Camera & Camera. This is where the original owner of my K100D got it from.

Jacob's Photo & Digital had the Tamron 18-250 for a very good price a while ago.

I got my Sigma 28mm f/1.8 from Expert Infotech Ltd. for an excellent price. I have written about my experiences with them earlier in this thread. I'd definitely shop with them again. They got the K20D kit for $1685.
Good luck with your shopping and let us know how it went.

Last edited by Class A; 12-09-2008 at 12:36 AM.
12-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #175
Veteran Member

I got my Sigma 28mm f/1.8 from Expert Infotech Ltd. for an excellent price. I have written about my experiences with them earlier in this thread. I'd definitely shop with them again. They got the K20D kit for $1685.
This would be one of the other parallel import companies I mentioned earlier. Please be aware that should you buy from a parallel import company like these guys, or etown who I mentioned earlier, you will not have an official NZ Pentax warranty - you will however save a LOT of money, so it's up to you.
12-09-2008, 01:01 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Congrats cpopham!

I was watching and actually would have bid higher than $82, but I wasn't sure what your maximum was and didn't want to push you up.

Next time, I'll bid earlier.

Have fun with lens and let us know how it is, please.

Last edited by Class A; 12-09-2008 at 01:16 PM.
12-09-2008, 01:06 AM   #177
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Please be aware that should you buy from a parallel import company like these guys, or etown who I mentioned earlier, you will not have an official NZ Pentax warranty
Is that true?
I'm fine either way and I think I'll have at least a year's warranty from the dealer, but do you actually know that for instance Expert Infotech excludes a manufacturer warranty?
12-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Pay through the nose and receive the benefit of the NZ warranty.
I have asked a couple of the parallel sellers if any repair work would be with Pentax. They usually reply that they give a warranty.
Probably means they send it offshore.
I thought Christchurch was far enough for my poor K100D when I munted it .
Not that Ian Little service is very hot. They seemed to have one serviceman and he was on extended leave

All that aside...
that sure is a hot price on the K20 !
The Aussies are much better off with Kennedys but they moan too
Pete
12-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #179
Veteran Member

Is that true?
I'm fine either way and I think I'll have at least a year's warranty from the dealer, but do you actually know that for instance Expert Infotech excludes a manufacturer warranty?
I am making a presumption here, but they have prices which are significantly below what I understand is the official NZ wholesale price. This would seem to indicate they're parallel imported, and I think you'd be lucky to get the NZ agent to pay for servicing. However, as you say, I'm sure most legimate parallel importers will provide some form of warranty themselves.

Normally to get Pentax stuff serviced under warranty in a country other than it was originally distributed in, you need an international warranty card, which you obtain from the company you purchased it from.

The Pentax NZ warranty is one year, btw.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Not that Ian Little service is very hot. They seemed to have one serviceman and he was on extended leave
It's subcontracted to another company - there are two guys there that I know of, I believe only one of them does the guts of digital cameras.

Last edited by cpopham; 12-09-2008 at 02:37 AM.
12-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #180

Thanks guys, mucho gracias! einfo.co.nz does have a suspiciously good deal on the K20D. So much so I'm sold!

Camera & Camera Queen St is where I go to get rolls off my ME Super processed. They don't do Pentax anymore, citing the same complaints about distribution so commonly mentioned in the forums...