Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2021, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #18241
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
After all my whinging of not being able to get a half decent Tui shot I finally got lucky.
very nice

---------- Post added 18-10-21 at 04:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
'm just gutted that last Saturday thousands got sausages with sauce...What did I get for my two shots? A bloody sticker

:-D
I am with Pete on this one - I waz robbed back in May, got nothing

10-17-2021, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #18242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After all my whinging of not being able to get a half decent Tui shot I finally got lucky.
Nice! Real character in that sideways look.

I got a Minty at my first shot. I don't recall what was there for the second. I call it a win because I didn't even known Minties were still around!

But it's not that I didn't get any prizes that slightly annoyed me. It's that this is what it took for a lot of people. I'm glad it happened, because I'd rather 130,000 more people were vaccinated than not, but you do have to wonder what happened to the concept of civic duty.

Meanwhile, those kids who had the party in Auckland, plus the protest organisers, should be made to shout the rest of the country the prize of their choice. While they work on a chain gang to pay it off.
10-18-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #18243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That does sound a bit annoying. And no way to sort it from abroad?
I found and am giving the complaint system a go right now. We will see. Last option is to ring the branch directly, ask for their address and write in requesting access.
10-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #18244
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Nice! Real character in that sideways look.

I got a Minty at my first shot. I don't recall what was there for the second. I call it a win because I didn't even known Minties were still around!

But it's not that I didn't get any prizes that slightly annoyed me. It's that this is what it took for a lot of people. I'm glad it happened, because I'd rather 130,000 more people were vaccinated than not, but you do have to wonder what happened to the concept of civic duty.

Meanwhile, those kids who had the party in Auckland, plus the protest organisers, should be made to shout the rest of the country the prize of their choice. While they work on a chain gang to pay it off.
Maybe we can organise an intervention or some such for "Disciple" Brian.

10-18-2021, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #18245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote

Its great 130,000 doses got dispensed, but when you break the stats down, 95,000 of those were second doses, so they were going to happen anyway, what is sad is that only 35,000 got their first, i would have been way more excited if those numbers were reversed...

As for the 'influencer' party, there is a prize for each of those people but it would not be politically correct for me to describe it on a social media platform as it may be take the wrong way by the bots....
10-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #18246
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
There seems to be a bit of inhouse fighting about whether we ever move away from the extermination approach
I get the sense the government has transitioned away from an elimination approach to a "manage case numbers according to vaccination levels"-approach.

Initially, the response to the current Auckland outbreak was to attempt full-blown elimination again, but since the outbreak has resisted efforts (apparently due to alert level rule breaches), it seems the focus is now on doing enough to not overwhelm hospitals. It does not look like anyone realistically expects the stamping out of all community cases anymore (the cases trend is telling and there is no appetite for increasing alert level restrictions).

I would have loved to see the elimination approach to be successful for quite a bit longer, but realistically it was never going to last into 2022. As soon as vaccination levels will allow it, borders will gradually be opened for all sorts of (business) reasons.

I think the travel bubble came way too early, given how active the virus was at the time in Australia and how low vaccination numbers were back then, but apart from that and some unnecessary implementation-on-the-ground gaffes, overall the COVID response could not have been much better.
10-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #18247
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What did I get for my two shots? A bloody sticker
A sticker?

Luxury!

I got nothin'; they didn't even wave goodbye!

10-19-2021, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #18248
Pentaxian

I don't know which part of the Bible (if any) he reads. It was really convenient for us that the first lockdown last year occurred over Easter. I explained to my daughter, hey, this is inconvenient, but it's just like the ancient Israelites did thousands of years ago, and we get a long weekend out of it as a result. Sure, Passover was only a one night lockdown to avoid a plague, but it was really useful to have an analogy to demonstrate that humans have been doing this kind of stuff for millennia.
Actually Leviticus is fully of various rules requiring mandatory self-isolation in case of suspected disease, so I simply don't get why the 'Ten Commandments' brigade are against lockdowns. I'd have thought they should be cheerleaders for them, and if anything, demanding more.
Actually I think there's some rumour that during the Black Death, Jews ended up getting persecuted because they weren't dropping like flies like everyone else, because they practised better hygiene, so someone came up with the conspiracy that they must be causing it.
The word 'quarantine' comes from the plague days and literally means 40 days of isolation, that was imposed on ships and their crews.

A pandemic, conspiracies, isolation; we 21st Century humans don't seem all that different to our 14th Century ancestors. At least you don't need to have the skills and patience of a Dutch master to reproduce a nice picture though.
10-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #18249
Pentaxian

DxO PhotoLab 5 is out. The improvements to U-Point feature are probably the feature of most interest to me, but DeepPrime noise reduction is supposed to be improved and faster, which is useful. Keywording and metadata editing are meant to be improved. Lightroom seems to be the standard to beat, so it will be interesting to see how it compares. If it can finally match Lightroom, it might be time to reconsider my Adobe subscription, however I do use Photoshop as well, including for work purposes, and there's supposed to a new Lightroom update coming out soon, so it will be interesting to compare.
10-20-2021, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #18250
Pentaxian

Seeing as everyone's been posting bird photos recent, I figured I should join the fun.
Here's one from a couple of days ago.
Uncropped, using classic DA 55-300 WR on K-70 in Tav mode ISO auto to 3200 F/9.0 1/500s, processed in PhotoLab with Deep Prime noise reduction. ISO actually ended up 640 for this image.
Something I've noticed with small birds and long zooms is that although a fast lens is helpful, in practice the shallow DOF means that you pretty much have to stop down anyway, so a lens that's not overly sharp unless stopped down or not overly fast, doesn't actually make much difference.
Small birds are basically the perfect storm in terms of settings required to capture them well.

10-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #18251
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice Christopher.
10-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #18252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Seeing as everyone's been posting bird photos recent, I figured I should join the fun.
Nice! Lovely backdrop bokeh.

I will almost certainly be buying PL5, and I also consider LR to be the gold standard for keywords. But though I still rely on LR for my keywords (and likely still will even with PL5 I think), I do not pay Adobe a cent, as the Library module works 100% with no active subscription. Despite all their posturing to the contrary.
10-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #18253
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Small birds are basically the perfect storm in terms of settings required to capture them well.
Very nice image Christopher. That is very true with regard to small birds

I am really pleased you are getting some good use out of the 55-300.
10-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #18254
Pentaxian

That's apostle Brain actually
looks like his time in the cell, stripping to his undies shook him to the core of his black soul

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2021 at 04:25 PM ----------

What do you guys do for batteries ?
My hoya (spits on ground) one is going down as is the one that came with the K-1

Choice seems to be a kidney for an original or $28 for the Wasabi lottery
What about a repack? Its only a pair of 18650s
might get a quote from MrPositive
10-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #18255
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's apostle Brain actually
looks like his time in the cell, stripping to his undies shook him to the core of his black soul

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2021 at 04:25 PM ----------

What do you guys do for batteries ?
My hoya (spits on ground) one is going down as is the one that came with the K-1

Choice seems to be a kidney for an original or $28 for the Wasabi lottery
What about a repack? Its only a pair of 18650s
might get a quote from MrPositive
I forgot what nonsense he writes in front of his name.

MrPositive? Never heard of that. Wish I knew about that before I threw out a couple of battery drill batteries the other day.