Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2021, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #18361
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
So how do you consume it Mark? as chewing sticks or part of your cuisine? Apart from taking a bit of jerky tramping occasionally it not not part of my diet.
Usually, I prefer to buy whole sticks of biltong and we slice those thinly, a bit at a time for freshness, and eat as a snack as one would eat any other snack such as chips.
Can also be cut into thicker chunks which makes for a more chewy experience. Finely sliced, its absolutely magic with butter on fresh bread and it can even be used as a pizza topping.

In high humidity environments biltong can go moldy if not stored in a cool, dry and ventilated space but the mold can be rubbed off with a vinegar rag and the biltong hung up to dry.

Making it is super easy (and I have done it using the following traditional recipe) but I tend to simply buy it. The following recipe is for 25kg of beef or venison:

750g of salt
180g sugar
20g saltpeter (potassium nitrate) (If you can't get hold of it, then increase the salt by 100g)
20g baking soda
10g peper
120g coriander, whole crushed
other spices to taste
Some vinegar

Cut deboned meat into strips 70x20mm, or smaller. Rub the salt and spice mixture into the meat. Pack the meat strips onto a plastic, glass or earthenware dish or dishes of suitable size. Do not use metal dishes - even stainless steel. After forming one tightly packed layer, sprinkle a bit of vinegar over the layer and start packing in the next layer. Leave overnight in a cool dry place, about 8 hours but not longer than 12 hours. In summer, place in the fridge for up to 12 hours.

Next, make a small hole so as to tie a short bit of string to have a loop to hang the strip of meat up from little wire hooks. Hang the biltong strips in the sun for a few hours and thereafter in the shade, inside a fly-proof enclosure. Alternatively, hang indoors in a fly proof space. A breeze is preferred, so a windy area is good, alternatively, if indoors, then run a few fans. Some people build a drying box or boxes from plastic crates or an old fridge or steel lockers with a hanging space and a drip tray and a fan to keep air movement going.

The biltong will be dry enough to eat after about 3 days to a week depending on conditions. Winter is, by far, the best time to make it as that reduces the risk of fly infestation. Obviously, some people like it drier than others. Once dry-ish it can be frozen to prevent it drying out more.

12-03-2021, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #18362
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my technically-pre-Pentax days, as I only bought my MZ-50 in late 1998. This shot is from March 1993 so I'd had the Cosina CS-1 for a little over 6 years — clearly not long enough to learn to focus properly. Pretty rare to see a Russian type wearing a NZ flag! From a quick bit of research it used to haul freight between NZ and Aus but only for a year or two.

12-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #18363
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
From my technically-pre-Pentax days, as I only bought my MZ-50 in late 1998. This shot is from March 1993 so I'd had the Cosina CS-1 for a little over 6 years — clearly not long enough to learn to focus properly. Pretty rare to see a Russian type wearing a NZ flag! From a quick bit of research it used to haul freight between NZ and Aus but only for a year or two.
Nice, thanks for sharing - a rare sight indeed
12-03-2021, 11:27 PM - 2 Likes   #18364
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I was still on a Cosina back then myself, as I think it was 1999 that I broke it (but not the lens) crossing a stream in the Cragieburn Range with the University Tramping Club.
Here's one of mine from around that time. I'd need to check the dates to see if it was before or after I got a real Pentax.

12-04-2021, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #18365
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Here's one of mine from around that time. I'd need to check the dates to see if it was before or after I got a real Pentax.
That is certainly a unique image. I watched one take off from Christchurch, and remember thinking how small they actually were.
12-04-2021, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #18366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one of mine from around that time.
Nice! I assume that is at Christchurch where I think it visited several times? Including the time it lost some of its rudder after departing (1989). I thought for a moment that was the Ilyushin behind, but it is in fact a NASA Starlifter.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I watched one take off from Christchurch, and remember thinking how small they actually were.
I saw my first Concorde in 1972(!) but I do not remember it. What I do remember was seeing a couple out the window while waiting in the Business Class lounge at Heathrow for my flight home in 1999. That same trip my brother-in-law took me out to Heathrow (they lived nearby) to watch one take off. The noise! He used to work at a rental car office that was right off the end of one of the runways and when that was in use for Concorde departures they had a standard procedure if on the phone... "I'm just going to put you on hold, Concorde is taking off."
12-04-2021, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #18367
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

he noise! He used to work at a rental car office that was right off the end of one of the runways and when that was in use for Concorde departures they had a standard procedure if on the phone... "I'm just going to put you on hold, Concorde is taking off."
I was well away from the end of the runway during the takeoff in Christchurch, and it was still pretty noisy

It will be interesting to see if we get supersonic passenger flight again any time soon

12-04-2021, 10:22 PM   #18368
Pentaxian

I think I was still on a Cosina back then myself, as I think it was 1999 that I broke it (but not the lens) crossing a stream in the Cragieburn Range with the University Tramping Club.
Great angle, really fills out the body !
12-05-2021, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #18369
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is certainly a unique image. I watched one take off from Christchurch, and remember thinking how small they actually were.
I thought the same when I saw it up close. On the other hand, I think it's probably one of the largest aircraft built with that speed capability.

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 09:16 PM ----------

Nice! I assume that is at Christchurch where I think it visited several times? Including the time it lost some of its rudder after departing (1989). I thought for a moment that was the Ilyushin behind, but it is in fact a NASA Starlifter.
Yes it was at Christchurch. I saw it flying over, but unfortunately didn't get any airborne images, as I didn't have much of a zoom, and lived on the other side of the city.
The Starlifter was the Kuiper airborne observatory, complete with onboard telescope. I need to find the negatives, as I have some images of the interior, as they were allowing the public through it.
12-05-2021, 01:44 AM   #18370
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to find the negatives, as I have some images of the interior, as they were allowing the public through it.
Those were the days
12-07-2021, 01:26 PM   #18371
Veteran Member

Great shot of Concorde.. that was 1989 as they had the open day being that it was the first time Concorde had visited CHCH. The NASA Starlifter was the Kuiper flying observatory, (it was almost more interesting for me due to the telescope) Then new Ansett Airlines had their Maintainence base hangar open to the public with a Dash 8 and a Whisper Jet opened up.
12-08-2021, 12:08 PM   #18372
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I watched one take off from Christchurch, and remember thinking how small they actually were.
I was surprised how small it was when I first saw one in the flesh.
Most beautiful aeroplane I've ever seen.

I had the privilege to go inside as well (while it was on the ground). Will always be one of my all time highlights.
12-08-2021, 08:58 PM - 2 Likes   #18373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I had the privilege to go inside as well
OK, some serious jealousy here.
12-08-2021, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #18374
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, some serious jealousy here.
I was pleased I got to see it, let alone go inside - well done CA
12-13-2021, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #18375
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I was surprised how small it was when I first saw one in the flesh.
Most beautiful aeroplane I've ever seen.

I had the privilege to go inside as well (while it was on the ground). Will always be one of my all time highlights.
Cool. I have some photos of it over Cape Town which I must find.
I had a fairly wealthy German client who flew on it a few times on the Paris - New York route. He described it as simply the most amazing experience ever.