Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2023, 02:30 AM - 4 Likes   #19366
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Wake up you lot - still Autumn - no need to hibernate. Whataya been up to?
Well, work has been extremely busy lately, but I have been getting out for evening walks down Caroline Bay. Monday evening was nice and warm (still 21C at 8pm) and I was able to enjoy this stunning sunset.

Zeiss ZK 35mm f2 on the K-3 III.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
03-29-2023, 01:09 PM   #19367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow - that is incredible!
03-29-2023, 02:44 PM   #19368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I've lost my mojo at the moment. My wife passed away last year so I have had legal stuff to contend with as well as a massive de-clutter so I can sell the house.I did inherit a pile of Nikon kit but I find the menus a bit daunting. The K70 needs a new aperture control solenoid so I also need to get a round tuit.
03-29-2023, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #19369
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that, that must all be rather daunting.
If you need a hand with any Nikon menus, well, I may be able to help, but I'm more of a set it up once and leave it kinda guy.
My Grandma had a round tuit on her wall.

Club rugby is about to ramp up, so it's my busy season.

03-29-2023, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #19370
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dang, Mike - tough times for you! Are you planning on staying in the King Country?
03-29-2023, 06:24 PM   #19371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang, Mike - tough times for you! Are you planning on staying in the King Country?
Cheers, and no. South Island looks good. I've had an offer of a bed in Nelson and there is always Dunedin. I do miss the magic light.
03-29-2023, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #19372
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Cheers, and no. South Island looks good. I've had an offer of a bed in Nelson and there is always Dunedin. I do miss the magic light.
Sorry to hear of your loss. All the follow up stuff takes it out of you for sure.

Best wishes with the steps forward, and getting back to enjoying looking for light.

Ross

03-29-2023, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #19373
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
South Island looks good. I've had an offer of a bed in Nelson and there is always Dunedin.
Sorry to hear about your wife. My dad died last year, and I have all the legal stuff to sort out around that.

If you end up in Nelson, I guess that makes at least 3 Pentaxians in the top of the south, as there seem to be periodic sales of gear from Nelson, and of course I'm over in Marlborough.

So far my K-70 is holding out ok, but I have quite a few lenses with aperture rings, and hopefully a couple of good solenoids from a broken K-m. I was going to use one to fix my K-50, and maybe hold the other in reserve for the K-70, but I picked up another K-50 on Trademe for $20 with the solenoid problem and wonder whether to fix that and sell it. If the K-70 goes I have a K-x that my daughter uses. It's still going fine, so would be a bit of a shame to kill it for the solenoid, but if I give her a K-50 that's been fixed, it would be a good upgrade if that eventually happened, and I may be able to get one out of the flash popup without having to touch the aperture solenoid in the K-x.
Apart from the solenoids, these models seem to be good for up to a higher shutter count than I'm likely to achieve.

---------- Post added 03-30-23 at 05:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Well, work has been extremely busy lately, but I have been getting out for evening walks down Caroline Bay. Monday evening was nice and warm (still 21C at 8pm) and I was able to enjoy this stunning sunset.

Zeiss ZK 35mm f2 on the K-3 III.
Nice sunset!

Work should be busy, but my family got covid, and although I didn't test positive, I had very mild symptoms, but the worst thing is I've felt like I've had a lobotomy, and extremely tired.

I've actually been out and about quite a bit with my cameras, as I have to walk the dog every morning, otherwise she'll pester me all day for attention, or eat all the undies in the house she can find if she doesn't get attention. Dog walking and photography generally take less concentration than programming, so it's been better than just sitting like a zombie in front of a screen when my concentration has been bad.

She actually proved quite useful for photography recently, as on one of our daily walks along the riverbank, she found a way down through scrub to a part of the river I'd never been to before that was really photogenic.

It ended up being one of the most epic bits of photography I've done for a while. I took some photos, and when I got home decided they were nice, but spoilt by some dead driftwood, caught a couple of metres up in trees.
The next day I went back again, but this time with secateurs to cut the dead twigs, to do some preprocessing 'PhotoChop'.
The 'river' was only a metre or two wide, but the rocks were extremely slippery, and in the process of getting across to clear the dead twigs on the far bank, I slipped and fell over in the deepest part, and ended up sitting down in the middle of the river. Fortunately I'd left the K-70 on a tripod on the other bank. I did have my little Olympus in my pocket, but it's waterproof anyway, so apart from me getting very wet, no equipment was harmed.
I did eventually get the photo I wanted.
04-01-2023, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #19374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First of all... has everyone changed their camera's DST setting this morning? I have!

have been down to the coast here at Waitotara
Nice painting! That's what I actually thought when I first saw the pic. I think it's the texture in all the grasses, but the colours lend themselves to the illusion as well. It's beautiful.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I was able to enjoy this stunning sunset.
I'm likely to move house in the next 5-10 years... one of my criteria might be a more westerly view. I'm currently tucked into the eastern slope of a large range of hills so sunset is just a brief colouring of some local clouds and that's it. I want to see more of the gorgeous sunsets like this one. (I see pics taken from Wellington's south coast of some spectacular ones.)

Sorry, I've lost my mojo at the moment.
Sorry to hear that. I know such traumatic events can really take it out of you, and concentrating on anything becomes a challenge. Earlier this year I learned a dear friend has terminal cancer, which was a real blow. I have been given professional advice to lean into my photography — both the 'outdoors with gear' and 'indoors with software' aspects are means of ensuring I continue to have enjoyable activities to take my mind off things, if only for short periods.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
with secateurs to cut the dead twigs, to do some preprocessing 'PhotoChop'.
Word of the year! I know I've bent grasses or branches on more than a few occasions to 'clear the shot'. Now I have a term I will have in my head every time I do it.
04-01-2023, 10:36 PM   #19375

Hi,
Reuest to "come-aboard". . . . . . . . .
I am a "West-Islander", living in Byron-Ballina Region on North-Coast, NSW.
Wife has Family in Aotearoa, and we visit every couple of years (well, at least, B4-Covid we did)
Have used my "enforced" Covid "can't-travel" budget to update my camera gear.
Still getting it organised, so will post some pics in upcoming weeks.
Flirted with FF K-i(ii), "inherited" from my son, but, too heavy for me.
Back to reliable APS-C gear (although, i did keep my FF-WR lenses)
1) Blue K-F,
DA 16-85mm WR
D-FA 28-105mm WR
D-FA 70-210 f/4 WR (with Tamron "collar")
D-FA 150-450 AW
DA* 55mm f/1.4 AW
1.4x Rear Converter RW
2) My existing K-p (which i am keeping)
DA 18-135mm WR
DA 55-300mm (PLM) WR
(a simple, easy to carry around, WR kit)
Also keeping Sigma DC 8-16mm
Also keeping Sigma 18-300mm 'Contemporary', as a "walk-around" lens.
Selling K-50 (solenoid upgraded), K-70, and also selling "old-faithfull" K-5
I am keeping my 2x K-01's, because they are FUN to use, and i can 'PLAY' with my old FA lenses that i kept when i sold off my 35mm film cameras. Who cares if the old FA lenses are not WR, because the K-01 camera is not WR, anyway.
Anyway,
Hoping, at some time in the future, to catch up with a Social Event, or 3, which may coincide with a visit to the "Eastern-Isles".
Regards,
Rob
04-02-2023, 12:54 AM   #19376
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
Hi,
Wife has Family in Aotearoa, and we visit every couple of years (well, at least, B4-Covid we did)
Have used my "enforced" Covid "can't-travel" budget to update my camera gear.
Still getting it organised, so will post some pics in upcoming weeks.
Flirted with FF K-i(ii), "inherited" from my son, but, too heavy for me.
Back to reliable APS-C gear (although, i did keep my FF-WR lenses)
1) Blue K-F,
DA 16-85mm WR
D-FA 28-105mm WR
D-FA 70-210 f/4 WR (with Tamron "collar")
D-FA 150-450 AW
DA* 55mm f/1.4 AW
1.4x Rear Converter RW
2) My existing K-p (which i am keeping)
DA 18-135mm WR
DA 55-300mm (PLM) WR
(a simple, easy to carry around, WR kit)
Also keeping Sigma DC 8-16mm
Also keeping Sigma 18-300mm 'Contemporary', as a "walk-around" lens.
Selling K-50 (solenoid upgraded), K-70, and also selling "old-faithfull" K-5
I am keeping my 2x K-01's, because they are FUN to use, and i can 'PLAY' with my old FA lenses that i kept when i sold off my 35mm film cameras. Who cares if the old FA lenses are not WR, because the K-01 camera is not WR, anyway.
Anyway,
Hoping, at some time in the future, to catch up with a Social Event, or 3, which may coincide with a visit to the "Eastern-Isles".
Regards,
Rob
Welcome aboard - need some new blood here!!
04-02-2023, 01:02 AM - 2 Likes   #19377
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have got into the habit of strolling around the garden here most days so to have a shot or 2 to process at night. Sure beats TV!
If I worried about technical excellence the garden (and my dogs) would get too repetitive. But to grab some old glass and run it wide open any light change or shower of rain (plenty of that) makes for new wacky opportunities.
Today's effort was courtesy of a Rikenon 55mm f1.4 m42 mount on the K-1. I slipped in a short extension tube to get a little closer.
And Rob it would be a sad day if the K-1 got too heavy for me!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-02-2023, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #19378

Thanks for the warm welcome, appreciated, after dealing with Yanks for so long.

Welcome aboard - need some new blood here!!
Thank You, GUB - - - - warm fuzzy feelings . . . . . or, was that the Warriors result over the Sharks ??
here is (i hope) a couple of pics, straight from my Kp, unaltered, taken with 18-135mm "kit" lens:
The first (i hope) is the view from my front deck, @18mm, Depth-of-Field Priority "P" mode.
And, the second (i hope) is wife's pot-plant on the front deck, @135mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
04-02-2023, 01:36 AM   #19379
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
Hi,
Welcome
04-02-2023, 01:36 AM   #19380

I have got into the habit of strolling around the garden here most days so to have a shot or 2 to process at night. Sure beats TV!
If I worried about technical excellence the garden (and my dogs) would get too repetitive. But to grab some old glass and run it wide open any light change or shower of rain (plenty of that) makes for new wacky opportunities.
Today's effort was courtesy of a Rikenon 55mm f1.4 m42 mount on the K-1. I slipped in a short extension tube to get a little closer.
And Rob it would be a sad day if the K-1 got too heavy for me!
Yep,
it was a difficult decision to forego my son's older K-1(Mark-II Upgraded), but, even without battery grip, my arthritic, mature-aged hands just can't cope.
A wonderful compromise is those beautiful D-FA lenses on a new K-F body.
And, i still have my Favourite, Silver K-p body.
Rob

---------- Post added 04-02-23 at 01:39 AM ----------

Thank you, NZ-Ross,
Hey,
my 2x pics actually worked . . . . . Progress
even the basic exif data

Rob