Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #3031
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yes it is looking like my Raw developing work flow will be with Digikam which is already my archive / download manager and then onto Gimp where I will do the sharpening. It is not nearly as intimidating as what it appeared to be when I was looking at Silkypix.
Do you feel Silkypix (being released with the camera) would give better results than the relatively simple Digikam?
Surprised you thought SP was intimidating, it hardly seems to have any controls at all to me.
Have a look at RawTherapee, that sucker has more sliders than I've had hot lunches

I wish they would change the name of RT,
imagine rocking up to the camera club where all the wise and good are LR drones.
"And Peter, what do use for Raw conversion ?....what's that you mumbled? you're in therapy ?....
That might be because of the Pentax ?" etc
They should call it Goodroom or something

Pete

08-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #3032
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Surprised you thought SP was intimidating, it hardly seems to have any controls at all to me.
You may be right-- I went back to it to have another look and it didn't seem so bad--maybe I am starting to get used to raw editors . I don't want to have to use it coz it has to run on a virtual windows platform. I have installed Raw therapee as well as Rawstudio, Ufraw as a gimp plugin, Photivo,and Darktable as well as having one in place on Digikam that I didn't know about. I think I will run with the Digikam one for convenience unless someone comes up with a reason not to. It doesn't have sharpening but the smart sharpen I use thru Gimp suits me. Yes Gimp is another horrid name--- the Linux repositories are full of odd names. I guess the nerds that build them have a weird humour. The desktop on my Ubuntu is the latest Gnome (Gnome 3) ---really sexy name!!!

Last edited by GUB; 08-27-2012 at 05:21 PM.
08-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #3033
Veteran Member

Finally got around do doing a huge website overhaul, and to semi-celebrate made a 'portfolio series'.
08-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #3034
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome series, must be tough to distill 5-6 years work to a handful of winners. The tiny little vulnerable tramper in your wild Wairarapa alpine image really catches my eye and I luv the duo seagulls- what a great catch.

08-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #3035
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Dang! I have been sitting here for 5 hours waiting for the little green light to go off on this battery charger. Then I will be able to try this K5 that arrived today!
08-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #3036
Pentaxian

You may be right-- I went back to it to have another look and it didn't seem so bad--maybe I am starting to get used to raw editors . I don't want to have to use it coz it has to run on a virtual windows platform. I have installed Raw therapee as well as Rawstudio, Ufraw as a gimp plugin, Photivo,and Darktable as well as having one in place on Digikam that I didn't know about. I think I will run with the Digikam one for convenience unless someone comes up with a reason not to. It doesn't have sharpening but the smart sharpen I use thru Gimp suits me. Yes Gimp is another horrid name--- the Linux repositories are full of odd names. I guess the nerds that build them have a weird humour. The desktop on my Ubuntu is the latest Gnome (Gnome 3) ---really sexy name!!!
Interesting journey
I tried to love Ubuntu but I couldn't get the blinking thing to connect to the internet with any consistency.

Pete
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #3037
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Hill Quote
Dang! I have been sitting here for 5 hours waiting for the little green light to go off on this battery charger. Then I will be able to try this K5 that arrived today!
John - I hope you really enjoy the K-5, it is such a good camera.

Ross

08-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #3038
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

tried to love Ubuntu but I couldn't get the blinking thing to connect to the internet with any consistency
Was that back in dialup days, it used to be a hassle, but now on a stock standard town broadband even the live installation cd just hops online. I am on cellphone BB and even that is simple.
08-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #3039
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Ross, it has arrived and the battery charged. I even got to find my way through the menues to enable for my old manual lenses. I will be 'working' at the airport museum tomorrow so will have plenty of opportunities to give it a try.
08-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #3040
Pentaxian

Was that back in dialup days, it used to be a hassle, but now on a stock standard town broadband even the live installation cd just hops online. I am on cellphone BB and even that is simple.
No it was a few months ago on broadband wireless. It would sometimes connect. Usually multiple attempts failed.
I would suddenly go online after 20 mins or something then drop it later.
Couldn't be bothered, Windoz just worked.
08-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #3041
Pentaxian

Congrats !
Nice little unit eh ?
Pete
08-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #3042
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Ross, it has arrived and the battery charged. I even got to find my way through the menues to enable for my old manual lenses. I will be 'working' at the airport museum tomorrow so will have plenty of opportunities to give it a try.
There will be no stopping you then. Please post some shots in the next few days for us to admire...

I am in Wellington, heading to Christchurch in a few minutes (currently seated in the 737) where I have the very joyful job of picking up 9 old K mount lenses I won in an auction on Sunday. So plenty of fun will be had over the next few weeks trying them out...

Cheers

Ross
08-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #3043
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

imagine rocking up to the camera club where all the wise and good are LR drones.
Lightroom is a fabulous piece of software. I used it for a few years before switching to Aperture. My brother still uses it and had the best description I've heard: "That's one seriously sorted out piece of software."

I've never used any of these other software products being mentioned (save for the GIMP, briefly, shudder) because having used personal computers for over 30 years I'm instantly against any (particularly Windows) software that ships with a hardware product like a camera or a scanner. In my experience, they try to make my life easier and only succeed in annoying me. It still makes me laugh that point and shoot camera manuals implore you to install software to get your photos off onto your computer. Sorry guys, I know what the USB mass storage standard is. I'll be better off on my own. Even now, with Aperture, I trust it to copy the photos off the memory card but not to delete and eject it!
08-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #3044
Pentaxian

and to supply a supporting image
This is 1/6th of an 8mm shot. I love playing with crops within an image, the Sigma sure has plenty to play with
These are some silver wattles I planted about 18 years ago
Quite liked the light tonight

f7.1 1/13 iso 640 converted in Silkypix

Last edited by Transit; 08-28-2012 at 03:40 AM.
08-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #3045
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
......where I have the very joyful job of picking up 9 old K mount lenses I won in an auction on Sunday. So plenty of fun will be had over the next few weeks trying them out...

Cheers

Ross
May the antifungus gods be with you !