02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #3841
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
threatening to get into my service pipes,
Ouch...

QuoteQuote:
leaves driving my neighbour nuts when the tie up his mower
'Little shop of horrors' ?? in The Fong.

The leaves are just the best winter firestarters, we hang several knots of them in the barn for just that use. (and they make great impromptu string in the garden..)

QuoteQuote:
soon to be removed cabbage trees
They'll be back... !!
along with all the seedlings that will spring up courtesy of the kereru deposits over the years. Just show them some light and they will be away.....

02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #3842
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
His nuts aren't in the mower
Yep use them as firestarters, the ones I pickup off the neighbours drive...
Great the way they sprout from hunks of trunk etc etc
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #3843
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
My front lawn Frogfish The bird is safe
I cleverly planted a row of cabbage trees up my boundary where they are now threatening to get into my service pipes,
not to mention the leaves driving my neighbour nuts when the tie up his mower.
*finds Transit's house in Google Maps and adds it to the route*
02-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #3844
Pentaxian

Jugs on

02-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #3845
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Where was this ? Save that bird for me (and the Tui)
Hi Frogfish - if it is birds that you are interested in photographing then knowing that you are driving through South Westland here are a couple of sites that will give you that opportunity. The first one is very new and has only just opened:

Ross Activities - Westcoast Treetop Walk and Cafe and South Westland treetop walk a hit | Stuff.co.nz

The second one is a bit further south (still on your way to Wanaka and Queenstown) just out of Fox Glacier and allows you to see White Heron and Royal Spoonbill - I think it is pretty much the only place in NZ where you can expect to reliably see them:

White Heron Sanctuary Tours Home Page ** WELCOME** and White Heron Sanctuary Tours in Hokitika to Westland Tai Poutini National Park, New Zealand - Lonely Planet and BIRDING

Have fun looking

Cheers

Ross
02-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #3846
Veteran Member

Ha ha - thanks Transit ... and look at all that lovely green space that you call your back garden !
02-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #3847
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Hi Frogfish - if it is birds that you are interested in photographing then knowing that you are driving through South Westland here are a couple of sites that will give you that opportunity. The first one is very new and has only just opened:

Ross Activities - Westcoast Treetop Walk and Cafe and South Westland treetop walk a hit | Stuff.co.nz

The second one is a bit further south (still on your way to Wanaka and Queenstown) just out of Fox Glacier and allows you to see White Heron and Royal Spoonbill - I think it is pretty much the only place in NZ where you can expect to reliably see them:

White Heron Sanctuary Tours Home Page ** WELCOME** and White Heron Sanctuary Tours in Hokitika to Westland Tai Poutini National Park, New Zealand - Lonely Planet and BIRDING

Have fun looking

Cheers

Ross
Brilliant - thanks Ross ! The Royal Spoonbill is waayy up there near the top of the list of birds I'd like to see. We are driving from Greymouth to Queenstown so this looks to be on our route.

02-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #3848
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Brilliant - thanks Ross ! The Royal Spoonbill is waayy up there near the top of the list of birds I'd like to see. We are driving from Greymouth to Queenstown so this looks to be on our route.
Both the sites are on your route between Greymouth and Queenstown
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #3849
Pentaxian

Ha ha - thanks Transit ... and look at all that lovely green space that you call your back garden !
Yep and a river out the front, can't complain really
02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #3850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got this one the other day of a Tui (with my 55-300) at the very top of a large tree at Wharerata at Massey University. All I wanted is more reach say 400mm or even good 500mm prime. I did some checking on PF Marketplace/lens reviews and decided that reach costs plenty
That's what 16 megapixels and the crop tool are for! Great pic. I love the addition of the bee.
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #3851
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The second one is a bit further south (still on your way to Wanaka and Queenstown) just out of Fox Glacier and allows you to see White Heron and Royal Spoonbill - I think it is pretty much the only place in NZ where you can expect to reliably see them.
Keep an eye out around the Wellington area for Spoonbills too. I've seen them sitting in the Pauatahanui inlet many times, often right by SH58! My parents also tell me they're not uncommon at the Waikanae river mouth and also various other rivers up that way.

Actually, that's one more birding spot. It's quite hit and miss depending on tides and other factors, but it's easily accessible. Motukaraka Point is only 5 minutes off SH1 from Plimmerton. I often stop off there in summer when I have time and the camera. Many birds will be distant on the mudflats, but a good pair of binoculars can make for some great spotting and sometimes you get lucky with stuff closer in.

If you carry on along Grey's Road toward Pauatahanui you pass by some mudflats right by the road where you'll often see Pied Stilts and other waders. You can stop at the side of the road and get quite close if you're good at stalking. There are also walkways and hides in the wetlands which are accessed from within the Pauatahanui village. I saw my first Shoveler in there.

Edit: Here's a Pied Stilt I stalked.

Last edited by zkarj; 02-05-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added photo
02-09-2013, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #3852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Keep an eye out around the Wellington area for Spoonbills too. I've seen them sitting in the Pauatahanui inlet many times, often right by SH58! My parents also tell me they're not uncommon at the Waikanae river mouth and also various other rivers up that way.

Actually, that's one more birding spot. It's quite hit and miss depending on tides and other factors, but it's easily accessible. Motukaraka Point is only 5 minutes off SH1 from Plimmerton. I often stop off there in summer when I have time and the camera. Many birds will be distant on the mudflats, but a good pair of binoculars can make for some great spotting and sometimes you get lucky with stuff closer in.

If you carry on along Grey's Road toward Pauatahanui you pass by some mudflats right by the road where you'll often see Pied Stilts and other waders. You can stop at the side of the road and get quite close if you're good at stalking. There are also walkways and hides in the wetlands which are accessed from within the Pauatahanui village. I saw my first Shoveler in there.

Edit: Here's a Pied Stilt I stalked.

THanks For the info Zkarj !

Here's a shot of some Black Winged Stilt juves (I'm sure that you call them Pied Stilts) that I took last month at Poyang Lake. The necks will turn black and cap white as they mature.

02-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #3853
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Tokina 17/3.5

Fellow Kiwi Pentaxians,

I have been having a lens rationalisation month, and have finally listed a number of lenses on TM. In a shameless plug I would encourage you all to have a look.

In particular I thought a few of you might be interested in the Tokina 17/3.5 WA Tokina 17mm f3.5 | Trade Me.

Thank you all for your indulgence - and I would be very happy to take your hard earned loot off you in exchange for a lens or two .

Ross
02-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #3854
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In particular I thought a few of you might be interested in the Tokina 17/3.5 WA Tokina 17mm f3.5 | Trade Me.
It is on my watchlist
02-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #3855
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a shot of some Black Winged Stilt juves
Awesome