Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2009, 03:27 AM   #466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. It's a vicious cycle, I think - they can't get their sales volume up enough to have low wholesale prices, but without those low prices, they won't get their sales volume up.
How crappy is that then ?
Pentax penalise small markets with higher prices?
I'm not sure it isn't the agent here gouging

If you're looking at the DA40... I see your M 40 has got you curious - the DA40 is exceptional, and I firmly believe that if you don't need a larger aperture than f2.8 that it means the hell out of the FA50 in terms of value.
Yes ! it does seem to be the bees knees alright
the 2.8 isn't a concern as far as i can see
must be an easier way to get an aussie one without having to drag my sorry arse over there
now i have a Mate over there ...

03-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #467
Inactive Account

Well buying and shipping makes sense. Are there any custom regulations though to tax to pay on items like that when shipping to NZ? I have never had anything shipped from there to be honest.
03-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emotive45 Quote
The warranty is inside the box with these things (especially cameras of that calibre) and it isn't down to the camera supplier where issuing the warranty is concerned. A Nikon warranty is inside the box. I couldn't give a hoot whether it's a NZ one or otherwise. It's a warranty. Your receipt gives the purchase date. Your warranty applies from that date to the specified date it is covered.
Read this: Nikon New Zealand
I too, dearly wish it was the way that you say it is. But it is not.

Where does it state or verify that one or either of those bodies is a parallel import?
If the shop selling it isn't either:
a) A dedicated camera dealer
b) An electronics chain like Noel Leeming or Harvey Norman

Then it is 99% likely to be a parallel imported item. Everything expert infotech sells is, same for etown.

For the record, I fairly recently bought an AF540 flash off einfo, and everything was fine (although it is definitely parallel imported). It definitely didn't arrive in 1-4 days either. Other than that, they were good - I visited their shop and picked up. It's less of a shop, and more of a collection point, but they have one, and it's run fairly professionally.

(As far as consumers rights is concerned they need to deal with the issue if you return something that needs repair or replacement if something goes wrong).
That's right, and they will. I haven't specifically had to have anything fixed through any of those companies, but I have had some computer part issues resolved through similar electronics sellers - they just send the item off to the manufacturer, and you wait. It tends to take a rather long time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
How crappy is that then ?
Pentax penalise small markets with higher prices?
I'm not sure it isn't the agent here gouging
I don't think they really penalise small markets.... its just that stores like B&H get really good prices for buying massive amounts in bulk. Maybe the agent here is price gouging, I really don't know - before our dollar went through the floor the prices were actually fairly reasonable.

Yes ! it does seem to be the bees knees alright
the 2.8 isn't a concern as far as i can see
must be an easier way to get an aussie one without having to drag my sorry arse over there
now i have a Mate over there ...
If you want to try one, we might be able to sort something out - sounds like you pretty much already have tried one though
03-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #469
Pentaxian

I don't think they really penalise small markets.... its just that stores like B&H get really good prices for buying massive amounts in bulk. Maybe the agent here is price gouging, I really don't know - before our dollar went through the floor the prices were actually fairly reasonable.
True about the bulk makes sense...
As for the dollar, the Oz dollar died too and their prices are a lot better

If you want to try one, we might be able to sort something out - sounds like you pretty much already have tried one though
Mate thats very kind !
Don't worry though it would just increase my needings
Pete

03-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #470
Pentaxian

Well buying and shipping makes sense. Are there any custom regulations though to tax to pay on items like that when shipping to NZ? I have never had anything shipped from there to be honest.
12.5 gst apparently
03-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #471
Veteran Member

<Horror Stories about Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman>
That pretty much demonstrates why I don't deal with either of those companies, especially Harvey Norman. Any retailer who goes so far as to have a brochure explaining why they believe the law in this country (CGA) doesn't apply to them can get stuffed, as far as I'm concerned.

That's pretty shitty that you've had those experiences though - it's kind of sad, but one would hope people could run a more professional business, even though this is rarely the case these days.

Mate thats very kind !
Don't worry though it would just increase my needings
Pete
Haha okay Good luck with your DA 40 resisting!

12.5 gst apparently
Yup. There's usually an admin fee as well, but this depends on the carrier.
03-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #472
Veteran Member

A few from the RNZAF Open Day at Whenupai today, unfortunately I made it there quite late in the day... (I neither confirm nor deny that I was hung over...). I decided to try out the F100-300 I obtained a while ago... and I can safely say I'll be disposing of it shortly! Sharp it is not....

03-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #473
Pentaxian

Haha okay Good luck with your DA 40 resisting!
seem to be enjoying the angle of view

M40 5.6 1/1500
03-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #474
Pentaxian

I'll be disposing of it shortly! Sharp it is not....
nothing wrong with the framing !
I like the rear afterburner shot and the flypast of Herc Orion and 767 is it
03-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #475
Veteran Member

seem to be enjoying the angle of view
I find the exact same thing with the 40 - I've been contemplating getting a smallish belt bag to carry just the K20 with the DA40 on it...

nothing wrong with the framing !
I like the rear afterburner shot and the flypast of Herc Orion and 767 is it
Thanks- fortunately those two aren't cropped either, but I do have a lot which are - 300mm isn't long enough... but then 100mm wasn't wide enough at times!.
The Boeing is a 757, but otherwise you're spot on.

Interesting to note... the K20's 'poor' autofocus successfully tracked a jetfighter with a slow (f5.6 at long end) zoom attached quite happily... my friend using a K100 and DA50-200 found the exact same thing....
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #476
Pentaxian

I find the exact same thing with the 40 - I've been contemplating getting a smallish belt bag to carry just the K20 with the DA40 on it...

compact is good, I happily shoulder strapped the K100D/M40 to the farmers market yesterday.

Thanks- fortunately those two aren't cropped either, but I do have a lot which are - 300mm isn't long enough... but then 100mm wasn't wide enough at times!.
The Boeing is a 757, but otherwise you're spot on.

Interesting to note... the K20's 'poor' autofocus successfully tracked a jetfighter with a slow (f5.6 at long end) zoom attached quite happily... my friend using a K100 and DA50-200 found the exact same thing....
I suppose its a light workout though ? good light and only sky behind so as to not encourage hunting...good technique too

Last edited by Transit; 03-21-2009 at 05:11 PM.
03-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #477
Pentaxian

I just did the most awesome family portraiture shoot.
*she said, modestly*

Good on ya mate! Nice when the client has fun.
03-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #478
Pentaxian

I just did the most awesome family portraiture shoot.
come on give us a taster
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #479
Pentaxian

Original Poster
12.5 gst apparently
From the customs charges pages:

QuoteQuote:
No revenue collection will be made if the total amount owing on the goods imported is less than $50.
That means if the (declared) value of the item (including international freight and insurance charge) is less than $416.67 then you won't have to pay GST (for most goods, there are some that have another GST rate).

Last edited by Class A; 03-22-2009 at 07:35 PM.
03-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #480
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
From the customs charges pages:

That means if the (declared) value of the item is less than $416.67 then you won't have to pay GST (for most goods, there are some that have another GST rate).
the DA40 is $446.18
sods want to sting $82 postage too
« GR x GIN Social | - »