Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Thanks..... it's a little bit embarassing what a tiny proportion of the photos I've actually taken that is, but that's what happens when you're learning, I guess!
No, no. The best photographers have the biggest waste baskets.
It really matters what you don't show.

11-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Experience with Expert Infotech Ltd.

I promised to tell you about my experience with Expert Infotech Ltd. because they really have some very attractive prices (best I've seen in NZ), so here we go:

23/10/08: Ordered an FA 50mm f/1.4 on and were asked not to send any money before I received confirmation about availability. Hmmh, why put "Qty: 2" on your webpage if you are not sure whether you have the item? :ugh:

24/10/08: Received confirmation about availability and were asked to transfer the money. I transferred the money immediately.

28/10/08: Received confirmation about payment and were told to receive the item in 2-4 working days.

31/10/08: Was notified that the item was not available as it was a discontinued model. Clarified the situation by phone and were offered a full refund or another model. The FA 50mm f/1.4 was still shown to be available on their website even a few days into November, but they finally removed it. Was offered a rebate on any other lens I chose.

1/11/08: Changed my order to a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 (the lens I wanted in the first place but re-queued behind the FA 50mm f/1.4 because I thought I may not be able to get the latter as cheap anymore). Paid the difference immediately.

7/11/08: Received information about shipping including a tracking number.

8/11/08: Received the lens. Was carefully packaged and arrived in (according to my few test shots) excellent condition.

The emails and the updates to my ordering page were sometimes a bit out of sync and delayed (apparently a case of several people working on one case) but the conversations on the phone were always very friendly and helpful.

While I don't understand how you can confirm availability first and then withdraw in the 21st century, I have to say that they have been very helpful and pretty quick in their responses.

I'd definitely shop again with them, perhaps not expecting too much in terms of tight communication, but with confidence regarding reliability. Hopefully, I won't have to check out how they deal with faulty items, but I'll let you know if I do.

I was pretty disappointed when my FA 50mm f/1.4 bubble burst after it had been placed right on the tip of my nose, but with hindsight I'm glad I got the Sigma 28mm f/1.8. It has the focal length I wanted for walking around and shooting what I see. It is close to a digital "normal" and whenever I used the 50mm, I had to take several steps back to get things into the frame. Perhaps a matter of getting used to a fifty but I really like the close focusing ability of the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 as well. I'll report about the lens once I had a chance to get to knowing it better. First impression: S-s-s-s-harp!
11-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The next meeting of the Wellington Photographic Society is on a Monday (24/11/2008, 19:30). I'll be there. Should be interesting as the special interest groups will be present their stuff.
11-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fungus Protection

How do you store your equipment to prevent fungus growth?

After having read this thread about a fungus disaster I'm wondering whether my silica satchels are sufficient protection.

11-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do anything special with my gear - just throw it in the wardrobe witha bit of silica. That thread relates to India, which i think is a bit different from NZ.

I see the Society has a visit to WPS soon - go along and hassle them for more Pentax stuff. Maybe you could get a discount on a 50/1.4? Good news about Expert Infotech anyway, but you're right the real test is seeing how they handle problems, as Mr Martin used to say "It's the putting right that counts".
11-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #66
Pentaxian

The few times I've visited Flickr and the google one I am dissapointed. I just don't like the layout and find navigation illogical. I found Welcome! :: Fotopic.Net ages ago and use it a bit, it's okay. I wish there was a decent NZ one where you could load and sell photos. I know there is one or two, but they're not that flash, last time I looked anyway. Anyone know any different?
11-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Flickr isn't perfect, no - the reason I chose it is because of the guest passes for sharing phots with family.

I was in Auckland Camera Centre the other day (getting my new stuff), and I see that not only did they have several K20s, and at least one K200, they also had a couple of the more basic lenses, like a 50-200, and an 18-250 - this is from a company which in times past had no Pentax digital stuff at all.

Hell, even JB Hifi has the K20 in some of its stores now!

11-12-2008, 06:16 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I don't do anything special with my gear - just throw it in the wardrobe with a bit of silica. That thread relates to India, which i think is a bit different from NZ.
Wellington has much higher humidity than the part of Germany where I used to live. We have mould growing inside the house () because the windows are not double-glazed and "insulation" is something that happens somewhere else.

Auckland should be worse. A friend of mine told me he found some of his shoes after a year, completely covered with mould.

I see the Society has a visit to WPS soon - go along and hassle them for more Pentax stuff. Maybe you could get a discount on a 50/1.4?
I'm afraid you were looking at the 2008 program. The new one is just being drafted.

Even with a discount, Wellington Photographic Suppliers are probably more expensive than anyone else. I saw a Pentax 18-250 for NZ$ 1300 at their place. You can get it easily for NZ$ 800 somewhere else. Oh, and their cleaning kit is just NZ$ 180. That's 258% of a converted US$ price. At least they carry Pentax.

I wish there was a decent NZ one where you could load and sell photos.
AFAIK, it is not NZ based but have you looked at RedBubble ? Might be what you are looking for.
11-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Where is the blinking courier !
I'm getting needy for my new presents

1 X Tamron 300MM F5.6 TELE MACRO
1 X PK mount ADAPTELL adapter (AS NEW)
with original front and end caps.
original case.

AND

This is a whole set of photography equipment. comes in a lowepro camera bag.
the equipment is:
A praktika LB2 camera.
Tokina WIde-auto 1:2.8 f=35mm lens
Super-takumar 1:2.8-105 lens
Domipan 2.8/50 lens
Super Orion 1;3.5 f=200mm lens
T.M. 1:2.8 f=135mm lens
HC Vareton 1:2.8 f=35mm
Pentacon Auto 1.8/50 multi coating lens

Philips flash
lens extender on a slide
3x lens extenders of different lengths
11-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Very nicely done Transit!

Hope your new stuff arrives today!
11-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
AFAIK, it is not NZ based but have you looked at RedBubble ? Might be what you are looking for.
Yeah, I want one that prints here, don't want people having to wait til prints get sent from overseas.

Transit - gonna need a new bag as well aren't you?
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I want one that prints here, don't want people having to wait til prints get sent from overseas.
Hmmh, if you cannot find a service then this sounds like a business opportunity. All we need to set up is a website and then forward the images to a printing house.

Where is the smilie with $ signs as eyes?
11-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Where is the blinking courier !
I have intercepted him. Couldn't let him carry all this good stuff past me.
11-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #74
Veteran Member

There's Snapfish, but that's really meant for family members, I think - and I think it's super cheap printing.

Hmmh, if you cannot find a service then this sounds like a business opportunity. All we need to set up is a website and then forward the images to a printing house.

Where is the smilie with $ signs as eyes?
Joking aside, I'm a computer programmer by trade, and a lot of what I do is web development...
11-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Very nicely done Transit!

Hope your new stuff arrives today!
It did !!!

I have intercepted him. Couldn't let him carry all this good stuff past me.
hehe that was the decoy load

here is the super takumar 105/2.8 at 5.6
mmm

Last edited by Transit; 11-13-2008 at 10:06 PM.
« GR x GIN Social | - »