Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 12:21 AM   #7516
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
didn't try it on anything moving really
healthy fringing there, did the TC contribute any do you think ?
I think so, although it has been a while since I have used the M*300, and this is the first time with the K-3. Never really noticed fringing when I was using the lens with the K-5

Just been thinking about that a bit more - I am definitely going to test the M*300 on the K-3 without the AF adaptor. I want to establish whether the 24MP/no AA sensor is causing issues with my older, pre digital lenses.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 06-14-2014 at 01:19 AM.
06-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #7517
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Yeap, sort of makes my trek through Wellington Airport look a bit weak
Funny you say that--At mid morning on Ruapehu (friday) I was stretched out flat in the glorious sun trying to pretend a chocolate bar constituted smoko and I watched an airliner soar past up in the bright blue above.
I said to my tramping buddie ; " I bet half those #@%@## up there can't even be bothered looking out the window at this view". Bet you were sitting there checking out your latest plumbing fitting on your laptop at that moment Ross

---------- Post added 06-14-14 at 10:08 PM ----------

I have been out for a few hours photographing birds, and it definitely makes the M*300/4 a lot more useable - I was getting more shots than I would manual focus. No good for fast moving away from or towards you though. I have included some samples below.

The little ducks were diving, and quite hard to get doing that - so I was happy with those results.

I probably should have set the camera FL to 510mm not 300mm on reflection. All images below with the M*300 and 1.7X AF adaptor on the K-3. I am happy enough with image quality from this combination, and didn't seem to be giving much up for the extra reach.
You have got to be happy with those results Ross.

---------- Post added 06-14-14 at 10:10 PM ----------

yeah no staying power Gub
Naa I am way to tough to waste time up there in such poncy fine weather.
I wanted drizzle and mist.

---------- Post added 06-14-14 at 10:14 PM ----------

I think so, although it has been a while since I have used the M*300, and this is the first time with the K-3. Never really noticed fringing when I was using the lens with the K-5
The fringing was in an out of focus area. I doubt whether even the immortal 300mm is immune to this.
06-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #7518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
The fringing was in an out of focus area. I doubt whether even the immortal 300mm is immune to this.
I'll give her a run and see, tempted to see my friend tomorro and suggest I test his 1.7tc again
The no fringe was the biggest shock I got with the F*
06-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #7519
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It might be a while before I get a chance to check it. I am heading up to Napier today, and I have a bit to do before I head north.

I said to my tramping buddie ; " I bet half those #@%@## up there can't even be bothered looking out the window at this view". Bet you were sitting there checking out your latest plumbing fitting on your laptop at that moment Ross
No me GUB, I was back in Timaru on Friday

06-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #7520
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
nice pentax synchronicity this am
was down at the market nattering to my friend John with the book stall, him of the new olympus M1
says he has sold a lens on TM
Bloke walks up, lens comes out...pentax mount ...what the ?...
Richandfleur himself !
what's the odds of that then ?
Nice to float the featherweight Q into his hands

Must say I wasn't expecting that myself either mate

The lens purchase as a bit of surprise for me also. I'd seen it listed at a very cheap initial price and had it stored on my trademe watchlist.
Whilst out on the town in Wellington (was on a course down there most of last week) I got an alert to say the auction was ending soon.
A friend I was with hadn't seen the trademe app so I was showing him how it all worked...

Others had bid and I didn't expect to win, but I threw a bid on to show my friend and well I won.
There's a lesson in here not to drink and bid I'm sure
I've wanted a wider 28mm prime for a while so I'll give it a go and see how it fits my purpose for video work.

Wanganui is clearly the place to meet fellow Pentaxians

It will be interesting to hear what he thinks about the Q

I have family there and I must say Wanganui does honestly have quite a bit going for it, if you don't read the usual scaremongering headlines.
That arts and crafts market is a fine example, right by the river, was a great place to catch up for a bit of a yarn about Pentax gear!
I had to leave a bit early though, having lost my wife, the other half of RichandFleur.

As for the Q, well I now wish I hadn't laid hands on it really, as it was a surprising little dinky toy.
Really like someone shrunk a DSLR! No optical viewfinder obviously, but a genuine interchangeable lens camera, with mechanical zoom control etc.
Very nice, and I was impressed with the refresh rate on the screen on the back. That was genuinely good live view capabilities there, no obvious/annoying lag, and it did ok really considering it was quite a glarey low angle sunn autumn/winters sunny day. I'd actually been considering one for the kids, for the kids honestly

I've just signed up for youshop, the NZ post collection system that gives you a USA or UK postal address.
You enter this into the likes of amazon or b&hphoto etc and they ship there, often for free, and then youshop forwards this onto you at lower rates than those original retailers.
Great if the retailer doesn't normally ship internationally, or if they only offer premium shipping options when you'd be prepared to wait for the slower/cheaper rates they don't offer.
Just thought I'd mention that, could come in handy for a Q etc.

Fleur just literally yelled out "Richard, Stop spending our money!"
06-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #7521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus is reasonably fast on the K-3, but not fast enough to focus on a duck that startles and flies in front of you.
I was out in the hides at Pauatahanui recently when a pair of Paradise Shelducks were wheeling around the sky doing multiple very low passes in front of me. Being sequestered in a hide didn't help with tracking, but I couldn't even get them in the frame let alone focussed. They did about half a dozen passes and I never fired off a single shot.

The little ducks were diving, and quite hard to get doing that - so I was happy with those results.
The little ducks are New Zealand Scaups. My favourite waterfowl and nicely captured there.
06-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #7522
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Fleur just literally yelled out "Richard, Stop spending our money!"
LBA meets practical wife - I hear you

---------- Post added 15-06-14 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
The little ducks are New Zealand Scaups. My favourite waterfowl and nicely captured there.
Thanks zkarj - I didn't know what they were - so I have learnt something this evening

They are quirky little fella's, just when you have them lined up for a picture they dive...makes for needing quick reactions

06-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #7523
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote

I've just signed up for youshop, the NZ post collection system that gives you a USA or UK postal address......"
tell me about it, they have just offered me a half price deal til the end of the month.
I was trying to discipline myself to sell the flaming K-5 first...
need to locate the blessed stock focussing screen to swap it back in doh
06-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #7524
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
tell me about it, they have just offered me a half price deal til the end of the month.
Which is only 10 days away.... how does that work...?

Yo bro, watchu pay down 50 for chill now dirty-tree-and-a-turd chur !

QuoteQuote:
I was trying to discipline myself
Too much information !

Last edited by bobD; 06-20-2014 at 02:22 AM.
06-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #7525
Pentaxian

jeeze Bob I thought I was obscure
I just, as our gun obsessed americano friends say,'pulled the trigger'
Decided to get Ado to send it straight here as the blinking internal US tax kills the postshop advantage doh
then the bank takes 2.5%, and visa undercooks the currency transaction and creams 2%, the 15% at the border...
bloody nora the $us696.95 becomes $nz1082...
Better be good, it's my next camera for the foreseeable future

Will be interesting to see how the K-5 with WR kit goes on TM
I offered it to Rich already so he has first dibs
06-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #7526
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Decided to get Ado to send it straight here as the blinking internal US tax kills the postshop advantage doh
then the bank takes 2.5%, and visa undercooks the currency transaction and creams 2%, the 15% at the border...
bloody nora the $us696.95 becomes $nz1082...
That is still a good price Transit. I am sure you are looking forward to it

Does that mean that you will not be buying a Pentax FF later this year?
06-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #7527
Pentaxian

Thanks Ross
Yeah my 77 will have to sit on its hands for a while longer.
the K-5iis should be more saleable when the time comes
06-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #7528
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

HD DA55-300 vs M*300 and 1.7xAF

Last week I posted some photos of the NZ Scaup (thanks zkarj for the heads up) that I had taken using my M*300/4 and 1.7xAF. Comments included the CA that was apparent with this combo.

Today I have been back down at the Timaru Botanic gardens photographing the NZ Scaup again - this time with the HD DA55-300 to see what the difference was. There is still minor CA to be seen in the images, but I think it is better controlled with the HD DA55-300.

In both cases the images were made with a Pentax K-3, shooting RAW and converted/post processed using Apple Aperture and Nik Effects filters.

The three images below are todays taken with the HD DA55-300.

The female NZ Scaup is the one with the white above the beak - you learn something new every day
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #7529
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Whilst I will be the first to admit my portrait photography needs a lot of work and practice, I am very happy with the DA 70 Limited that has recently arrived.

I got this image of my youngest this afternoon down at the Timaru Botanic Gardens (looking for a Fantail). Having an AF lens is making the job much easier than the MF ones, as she rarely stays still long enough for me to MF.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-21-2014, 03:42 AM   #7530
Pentaxian

Nice shot Ross, good dof and nice background blur

---------- Post added 06-21-14 at 10:45 PM ----------

some shocking low prices on some m and A lens on TM tonight