Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #7876
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
This 'Canon' you speak of....don't they make printers ?
Must be a hell of an adapter to get a printer on the Q...explains the $170 I spose

With ricoh being copier kings maybe the copier adapter will be along soon.
i like the idea of printing straight from the camera, great shortcut
Alritealrite alrite-- trouble is I canna see a kmount to kmount.

07-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #7877
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
yeah they have riled CA too so anything can happen
Don't rile me!

07-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #7878
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Oh, no, please!
To be fair, his message is to stop arguing and just use what you want because the technology is sufficiently advanced that they're all good. (Subject to how much you pay, I guess.) So his arguments are a little flawed. That doesn't change the message.

It's what most people do anyway. A friend has just changed from a Nikon D5100 to an Olympus OM-D E-M10, so from an APS-C to Micro 4/3. She's no professional, rather, an enthusiastic amateur and she gets better pictures with the Olympus than the Nikon. Why? Lots of reasons, including specific performance on various factors, but mostly size – she picks it up and carries it more often. Instead of a camera bag she now has a shaving kit bag.

So a FF is better than APS-C if you want a FF more than APS-C. In my friend's case, Micro 4/3 is better than APS-C. For many people a mobile phone is better than APS-C. For me, I don't want to lose my (currently) 450mm equivalent focal length, so FF is worse (leaving aside the fact it's a DA lens). Then again, if a FF had the same density of pixels it wouldn't matter.

All technicalities – so back to the message. Choose your mount and enjoy it.
07-31-2014, 01:43 AM   #7879
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
To be fair, his message is to stop arguing and just use what you want because the technology is sufficiently advanced that they're all good.
There are many good reasons to choose smaller formats and you list some of them.

I'm completely with you on the "choose what you want" message.

What I'm not happy about with his video are his (what I believe to be his not quite so kosher) motivation, his mocking of anyone who sees a difference or sees the point to defend larger formats, and his flawed arguments.

07-31-2014, 02:37 AM   #7880
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
There are many good reasons to choose smaller formats and you list some of them.

I'm completely with you on the "choose what you want" message.
I have been on the road this week, and haven't had the opportunity to participate in this discussion, or watch the video.

The camera you have with you to take photos with is going to be the best one on the day, in my opinion. And speaking of taking photos, I got this one the other day in the Bay of Plenty with the K-3 and Zeiss 35. It has been cropped a little.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-31-2014, 03:05 AM   #7881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
The camera you have with you to take photos with is going to be the best one on the day
Nothing personal but I just hate that phrase (even though you've embellished the usual version). I get the sentiment but it is, I think, more correctly said as "Any camera is better than no camera." Best is a relative term and there's only one player.

Perhaps I'm just jaded from people telling me how wonderful their phone camera is (in the context of my "expensive" or "giant" camera). I have to agree the quality is really good these days (in the right circumstances), and I'm sure if most of my photography was at exactly 22mm effective focal length (iPhone) I'd feel the same way.

Right, right. Choose your mount... [yells at kids to get off lawn...]

07-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #7882
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing personal but I just hate that phrase (even though you've embellished the usual version). I get the sentiment but it is, I think, more correctly said as "Any camera is better than no camera." Best is a relative term and there's only one player.
I would agree with that sentiment There have been several times in the past few years that I have wished I had a good camera with me, when I only had a phone camera at the time.

Perhaps I'm just jaded from people telling me how wonderful their phone camera is (in the context of my "expensive" or "giant" camera)
Hence my sharing the photo of Whale Island taken with the K-3 and Zeiss - whilst some might argue that you could get that image with a camera phone, I don't think so - it is the sensor, lens and camera recording (software) that makes the image.

This image was recorded as a RAW so also a little post processing.

I am planning to stick with my DSLR for a while yet, and also enjoy playing with the Q on occasion

07-31-2014, 05:29 AM   #7883
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote

I am planning to stick with my DSLR for a while yet, and also enjoy playing with the Q on occasion
You and me too
The new K5iis just got me excited again and the Q is it's usual awesome self

as for the topic, i was expecting to hate the vid but found it ok.
admit I stopped watching before the advertorial section started apparently
07-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #7884

Hello All,

I am a lapsed photographer who suddenly lost interest about a year ago when I did my first wedding shoot after completing a photography diploma lol! I think I got way too much into photography for around 4 years that it blew me out! Soooooo...
I am about to put my lens collection up for sale on Trademe but thought that l might let you guys know first before I do.
If anyone is interested I'll put the list up here. The range will be from 12mm to 300mm and everything in between.

Cheers,

John
07-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #7885
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjohnM Quote
I am about to put my lens collection up for sale on Trademe but thought that l might let you guys know first before I do.
I'd be interested to see what you've got.

If you have a Pentax 200/4 macro to sell, just PM me.
08-01-2014, 12:46 AM   #7886
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If anyone is interested I'll put the list up here.

Sounds like a fine plan.
I'm considering one of those 55-300 lenses for instance, and maybe something quite wide angled...
08-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #7887
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If anyone is interested I'll put the list up here. The range will be from 12mm to 300mm and everything in between.
I would also be interested in seeing the list
08-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #7888
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

arrgh the vultures are circling
08-01-2014, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #7889
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
arrgh the vultures are circling
Lovely imagery there GUB, be careful or you might inspire John to continue with his photography, and not sell any of his gear
08-01-2014, 04:20 AM   #7890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of the camera you have with you, 22mm equivalent is just fine when you stumble across... err...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5  Photo