Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #8146
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Well Fathers Day for me is a couple of days early, when a nice package arrived from the USA. K-3 Grip and Flucard.

I really like the grip, it balances the camera up very nicely, and fits well to hand. Everything operates well. With the Pentax K-3 grip you get front and back scroll wheels, exposure comp. iso, AE-L, AF and green buttons - nice .

The Flucard also works well, and allows Liveview, remote touch focus and changing of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure comp from the connected device - which can be smart phone, tablet or laptop. I was using my smartphone, and it worked very well. It took a few minutes to set up and then good to go. Images were good, in focus etc. I am planning to make use of it particularly for tripod landscape photos where you have everything set very low to the ground. No more crouching down to check and set everything. Very nice tech, and works well - same thing is available for the 645Z.
nice one Ross !
should help to balance the DA40
All those functions also on my generic grip on the K-5.
Apparently the flucard works in the new K-S1 too, would be neat to have a big remote screen alright

09-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #8147
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
should help to balance the DA40
It is a monster lens alright - I took the hood off to reduce some of the weight, but it can still throw you if you are not careful

---------- Post added 05-09-14 at 08:25 PM ----------

Apparently the flucard works in the new K-S1 too, would be neat to have a big remote screen alright
I am looking forward to using the Flucard.

I reckon the K-S1 might be a bit more useful camera than many are giving it credit for - very small size too....if you look at this comparison the K-S1 is basically the same size as the Olympus OM-D EM5.

I have handled the EM5 and I have to say I was impressed with how small and light it was. So....K-S1, a very interesting camera
09-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #8148
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one Ross. That battery grip does look really good! I really like the idea of two card slots in the K-3.
09-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #8149

Buying On-line from the US:

Hi, Strongly tempted by a K500 on a good special at B&H. Is customs/import duties a given on this? -I've purchased items of similar value in the past and they've slipped through. Also, buyer experiences with B&H? They seem to have a solid rep. -thanks in advance...

09-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #8150
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've got no issues with B&H. The last item I purchased wasn't enough to trigger additional import duties so I can't comment on that sorry.
09-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #8151

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I've got no issues with B&H. The last item I purchased wasn't enough to trigger additional import duties so I can't comment on that sorry.
Thanks -think I'll buy from them, although the K50 (body only) is a very similar price
to the K500 with a kit lens (which I don't actually need) -decisions, decisions...
09-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #8152
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H are good - I brought my K-3 and a lens in store in the US. I have also heard plenty of good comments from others who have had stuff shipped to here.

With regard to customs and GST - if there is over $60 GST to be collected, then you will generally have to pay it, and also customs fees (usually $50-$80ish). This means NZD $400 is the break mark, but I always allow a little less to make sure I miss the charge, and to allow a buffer around postage. $300-$350 NZD seems to be ok.

That seems a really good price on the K500, but I think you will be above the GST threshold, hence it will probably incur both GST and customs charges

09-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #8153

B&H are good - I brought my K-3 and a lens in store in the US. I have also heard plenty of good comments from others who have had stuff shipped to here.

With regard to customs and GST - if there is over $60 GST to be collected, then you will generally have to pay it, and also customs fees (usually $50-$80ish). This means NZD $400 is the break mark, but I always allow a little less to make sure I miss the charge, and to allow a buffer around postage. $300-$350 NZD seems to be ok.

That seems a really good price on the K500, but I think you will be above the GST threshold, hence it will probably incur both GST and customs charges
Cheers -even factoring in GST and customs I think I'll still come out ahead.
09-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #8154
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Cheers -even factoring in GST and customs I think I'll still come out ahead.
B&H also sell a pretty good 3 year extended warranty - I brought one for the K-3 just to protect my investment against faults, breakdowns etc. They cost a bit extra, but are worth considering
09-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #8155
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Duty Estimator

Definitely worth a play with. The cost for shipping in included also!
09-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #8156
Pentaxian

B& H ? I'd rather pour sand in my eyes
09-06-2014, 04:23 AM   #8157

B& H ? I'd rather pour sand in my eyes
...because?

---------- Post added 09-06-14 at 11:43 PM ----------

B&H also sell a pretty good 3 year extended warranty - I brought one for the K-3 just to protect my investment against faults, breakdowns etc. They cost a bit extra, but are worth considering
Thanks Ross, Had a look at the SquareTrade plans offered -they look reasonable. Do they cover shipping in unfortunate event it's necessary to return your camera? I can't work out from the T&C just how that works?
09-06-2014, 04:50 AM   #8158
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Ross, Had a look at the SquareTrade plans offered -they look reasonable. Do they cover shipping in unfortunate event it's necessary to return your camera? I can't work out from the T&C just how that works?
I think you can get the camera assessed in NZ if there is an issue, and then it gets decided from there, dependant on the issue.
09-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #8159
Pentaxian

...because ?

Their attitude, reselling restocked items as new, other things.
09-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #8160
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Their attitude, reselling restocked items as new, other things.
The restocked item issue is interesting...in the US retailers have to take items back, I think - up to one month after purchase, no questions asked, as long as it is in 'as new' condition.

One person I talk to in the US who is on this forum decided that they had to have a FF camera, so they sold their K5iis and went through this sequence - Nikon 610, Canon 5D3, Sony A7r. Each time this involved a camera body and a few lenses. In the end he settled back on a K3, and not from the retailer that the FF items had been 'purchased' from. For the retailer this meant 3 bodies and probably 6-9 lenses that were returned, and had to be restocked. In each case he took some photos with the camera, so the next person would have been getting clicks on the body.

What this consumer protection law in the US has become is a virtual 'try before you buy' law. I have seen similar comments across PF, so my guess is it is pretty wide spread practice, and therefore retailers must have a lot of restocked items.

I explained it was quite different here, and that generally you needed to work out what you wanted before you brought, because unless it is faulty, you can't take it back. In the US it seems you don't need to do any research, you just keep trying stuff until you finally get something that you like or otherwise you return it.

When I brought my K-3 from B&H the body had no clicks on it - as far as I could tell I put the first image on it. So I was happy with that. My guess is - to overcome the issue, just specify no restocked items when ordering from them, if it is a concern.

The thing I find interesting about this 'try before buy' practice in the US is that it has taken me about 3 months to settle into using the K-3 and be really happy with it. So I wonder how people actually go with their impressions of cameras in a short space of time......
« GR x GIN Social | - »