Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3678 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 04:17 AM   #8281
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Hmmm...sensor shake didn't move them...wise or not to attack the sensor with a rubber hand-puffer?
clean the insects out of the puffer first
I had to swab it about 20 times...involved high speed trip to town where I exchanged a kidney for the only wet clean kit this side of Palmerston

09-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #8282

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Nice colours. So you are just across the waters from us here in wangas?
Thanks -rediscovering UV filters and polarisers, had forgotten what a difference they make.

Profile updated...Nelson, so yes, just across the waters from Wangas.

Just want to say what a fantastic resource this forum, would have given up in despair based on initial experiences with the K-01 -great to have such a wealth of knowledge to draw on, offered so generously.

Enjoying most of all getting out with a camera again, just never felt the urge with a P&S digital, the K-01 takes me back to my teens with the Pentax MX, Sunday morning/afternoon forays around Christchurch in the 80's looking for inspiration -nice. Find myself scouting again whenever we're out for somewhere I might want to go back to for a shot.

---------- Post added 09-30-14 at 02:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
clean the insects out of the puffer first
I had to swab it about 20 times...involved high speed trip to town where I exchanged a kidney for the only wet clean kit this side of Palmerston
Bugger...possibly quite effective though, as long as shot composition is chosen to accomodate that, maybe not weddings.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-photo-trips-groups/41021-ki...#ixzz3Ei4N1Jz6

Last edited by Kiwigeezer; 09-29-2014 at 06:12 AM.
09-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #8283
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks -rediscovering UV filters and polarisers, had forgotten what a difference they make.

Profile updated...Nelson, so yes, just across the waters from Wangas.

Just want to say what a fantastic resource this forum, would have given up in despair based on initial experiences with the K-01 -great to have such a wealth of knowledge to draw on, offered so generously.

Enjoying most of all getting out with a camera again, just never felt the urge with a P&S digital, the K-01 takes me back to my teens with the Pentax MX, Sunday morning/afternoon forays around Christchurch in the 80's looking for inspiration -nice. Find myself scouting again whenever we're out for somewhere I might want to go back to for a shot.

---------- Post added 09-30-14 at 02:13 AM ----------

Bugger...possibly quite effective though, as long as shot composition is chosen to accomodate that, maybe not weddings.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-gatherings-photo-trips-groups/41021-ki...#ixzz3Ei4N1Jz6
Like a kid with a new toy. And we all are
10-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #8284
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bit of a time warp.
Lovely shot. That rear car is a very special Chrysler. Note the golf clubs compartment. Rich man's car!
Pity about the modern "pop-top" on the building - Architect should be shot.

10-02-2014, 03:46 AM   #8285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
not often I defend architects but none were involved in that wart surely ?
10-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #8286
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lovely shot. That rear car is a very special Chrysler. Note the golf clubs compartment. Rich man's car!
Photoshop is your friend
(Altering reality for more than a decade...no job too big or small !)
10-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #8287
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
not often I defend architects but none were involved in that wart surely ?
One would hope it was just some draughtperson or "there - I fixed it" builder!

---------- Post added 10-03-14 at 12:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Photoshop is your friend
(Altering reality for more than a decade...no job too big or small !)
At least if it's only Photoshop you need to alter reality, Bob!

I might add that it's probably a good thing I stand no chance of being elected "Dictator for Life" because the list of people to shoot is quite long! (Note to self: Must find out who designed the Beehive)

10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #8288
Pentaxian

as new DA 50/1.8 on TM for 180 smackers
10-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #8289
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must find out who designed the Beehive)
Sir Basil Spence Basil Spence's first pencil impression of the Beehive | NZHistory, New Zealand history online
10-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #8290
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funnily enuf I think I saw that same car near fielding today.
10-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #8291

Going over to the Dark Side:

Brief flirtation with a Canon 1200D at Hardly Normal's today...$389 for a Canon DSLR with a reasonable kit lens...hmmm. Couple of things steered me away ultimately -the lack of in-body IS ,and checking s/h lens prices on TradeMe is a reality check, no $20 bargains to be had there. Did score a Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L backpack half-price though, planning to climb the hills around Nelson for some panos soon. Next task I guess, good stitching software...
10-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #8292
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Brief flirtation with a Canon 1200D at Hardly Normal's today...$389 for a Canon DSLR with a reasonable kit lens...hmmm. Couple of things steered me away ultimately -the lack of in-body IS ,and checking s/h lens prices on TradeMe is a reality check, no $20 bargains to be had there.
One of the things I really like about Pentax is the ability to buy old, good quality, interesting lenses at relatively low prices - yes you have to manual focus, but with the green button you can get everything set up ok, and they are a lot of fun.

I will quite often pick one of these lenses put it on the camera and go out for a walk. GUB and Transit seem to be able to find the real bargains, but just a couple I could mention in my collection - M 50mm f1.7 ($32) and M 200 f4 ($40) both really good lenses, and they give great results. M42 Takumars - fantastic lenses but since the mirrorless camera chaps have discovered them they cost a lot more than they used to.

You just can't do that with Canon. Nikon, yes you can add old lenses - but even they can be pretty pricey. Pentax, with high quality modern DSLR's has this unique selling point with the old lenses.
10-03-2014, 01:55 AM   #8293
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
One of the things I really like about Pentax is the ability to buy old, good quality, interesting lenses at relatively low prices - yes you have to manual focus, but with the green button you can get everything set up ok, and they are a lot of fun.

I will quite often pick one of these lenses put it on the camera and go out for a walk. GUB and Transit seem to be able to find the real bargains, but just a couple I could mention in my collection - M 50mm f1.7 ($32) and M 200 f4 ($40) both really good lenses, and they give great results. M42 Takumars - fantastic lenses but since the mirrorless camera chaps have discovered them they cost a lot more than they used to.

You just can't do that with Canon. Nikon, yes you can add old lenses - but even they can be pretty pricey. Pentax, with high quality modern DSLR's has this unique selling point with the old lenses.
And remember they are cheap coz pentax was the market leader in those days and so there is heaps of them.
Just had a lightening strike that blew the phone powersupply to bits throwing the cover 4-5 metres across the room. Must have been down the phone line coz the power never even flickered. Guess the phone is smoked. One of the good times that my putas are on 3g and as such not vulnerable.
10-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #8294
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And remember they are cheap coz pentax was the market leader in those days and so there is heaps of them.
Just had a lightening strike that blew the phone powersupply to bits throwing the cover 4-5 metres across the room. Must have been down the phone line coz the power never even flickered. Guess the phone is smoked. One of the good times that my putas are on 3g and as such not vulnerable.
Just be thankful it wasn't something important like a camera that was plugged in at the time...
10-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #8295
Pentaxian

bloody nora !