Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #8476
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Not being rude at all. I think it's great the way Pentax have all the colours for those that want them.
Yeah it is a great point of difference for Pentax.
A bit sad tho when peoples choices can be so shallow.
To me the defining point of difference for Pentax is the SR on the sensor (including the advantage of no AAfilters in the later models)
But people just look at you blankly when you try and present the advantages of such a system.

10-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #8477
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
To me the defining point of difference for Pentax is the SR on the sensor (including the advantage of no AAfilters in the later models)
But people just look at you blankly when you try and present the advantages of such a system.
Not all. I was explaining this to a friend the other day, and he was much impressed. For his system, he needs to buy a special 'shake reduction' lens.
10-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #8478
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not all. I was explaining this to a friend the other day, and he was much impressed. For his system, he needs to buy a special 'shake reduction' lens.
Trouble is he understands you only because he already has a "system" with its associated investment in lenses.
10-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #8479
Pentaxian

daughter with the K-x has found out that shutter actuations info can be gleened...
She wondered if her 60,000 meant a new camera due...
told her it will go past 100k and keep shooting

10-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #8480
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Yeah, the shutter should live well past 100,000 actuations, in particular if she does not press it.

I often hear/read from photographers about "pressing their shutter" and wonder how cumbersome it is to unmount the lens to gain access and how it cannot be good for the shutter.

Pressing the shutter release button, on the other hand, sometimes results in images worth keeping, so perhaps they should try that more often?
10-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #8481
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

daughter with the K-x has found out that shutter actuations info can be gleened...
She wondered if her 60,000 meant a new camera due...
Wow that is a lot of selfies
I thought that sort of obsessive compulsive was the realm of us ol farts.
10-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #8482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yeah, the shutter should live well past 100,000 actuations, in particular if she does not press it.

I often hear/read from photographers about "pressing their shutter" and wonder how cumbersome it is to unmount the lens to gain access and how it cannot be good for the shutter.

Pressing the shutter release button, on the other hand, sometimes results in images worth keeping, so perhaps they should try that more often?
must be annoying all right

---------- Post added 10-29-14 at 07:14 PM ----------

Wow that is a lot of selfies
I thought that sort of obsessive compulsive was the realm of us ol farts.
er...she is a photographer, not a teenager

10-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #8483
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah I was wondering.
What field of photography?
10-29-2014, 12:56 AM   #8484
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Aren't all photographers teenagers once....
10-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #8485
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yeah it is a great point of difference for Pentax.
A bit sad tho when peoples choices can be so shallow.
SR and a bit of other stuff. My K-x is getting a bit long in the tooth, and it's 'entry level', but does apart from SR does several things that other entry level models from other makes don't. Multiple exposure, in camera HDR, and I think a few other things too.
10-29-2014, 03:56 PM   #8486
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The LBA is biting.....

The new Pentax HD DA 16-85 WR has been announced today.

It would be fair to say the LBA is biting bad - but if I got this one I would probably need to sell by DA*16-50/2.8 which I still really like as a lens. Arrgggghhh.....

I originally brought the DA*16-50 as an all weather travel lens good for wide, low light indoors and outdoors - i.e. a walk around lens while travelling. Lately I have been using my primes a lot, and also grabbed a DA18-55 WR just for something a bit lighter in the bag.

This new DA16-85 just seems like it will be a very good semi wide angle to moderate tele walk around lens....

What to do, what to do
10-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #8487
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
SR and a bit of other stuff. My K-x is getting a bit long in the tooth, and it's 'entry level', but does apart from SR does several things that other entry level models from other makes don't. Multiple exposure, in camera HDR, and I think a few other things too.
For me the original deciding factor of Pentax was the compatibility of a few old Tak lens I had, thinking I was a bit odd wanting to use them-- not realizing that there was a world of other silly buggers wanting to do the same. Now with hindsight I know there are other cameras that do the tak thing with adapters . But I am so glad of my choice due to the SR.

---------- Post added 10-30-14 at 12:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
What to do, what to do
Just harden up and buy it man!!
She will understand.
It is the least you can do so as to be able to inform us of its qualities!
10-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #8488
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
The new Pentax HD DA 16-85 WR has been announced today.
I have the Nikon 16-85, it's certainly a great lens and focal lengths for walkabout or at home kind of stuff.
10-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #8489
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have the Nikon 16-85, it's certainly a great lens and focal lengths for walkabout or at home kind of stuff.
Thanks Arpe

Just harden up and buy it man!!
She will understand.
It is the least you can do so as to be able to inform us of its qualities!
She is very understanding, but there has been a fair amount spent on gear this year. The K-3 put a fairly large hole in the gear budget for the year

I am going to the US again in May next year, so it might have to wait until then, so I can save most of the GST when I come back into NZ, but I am also in Aussie just before Christmas, and it would make a very nice Christmas present.....
10-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #8490
Pentaxian

Ah I was wondering.
What field of photography?
the hobby field...she's a chip off the old Pop