QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I wishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
sigh...I can see it is going to be a long evening here
11-28-2014, 12:59 AM   #8793
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading and Thinking

I was in Napier earlier this week, and while I was out getting dinner the sunset 'happened'. Unfortunately I didn't have the K3 with me at the time (or the Q) but of course I did have my phone. So I grabbed an image of the sunset, and finally got time to load it and do a little PP. 29mm (EFOV) so wide enough.

Yes, I could have got an image with more information, much better micro contrast etc if I had the K3 and Zeiss 35/2 with me - but I have been thinking since grabbing this image about just how good the smartphone cameras (apple, samsung, nokia etc) are getting. I think zkarj made a comment about this a while back.

I have also been reading and looking at reviews this evening of the Panasonic LX100, which seems to be a very good camera 24-75mm (EFOV) and what look to be some very good controls, with a m4/3 sensor, and then of course the Sony A7II is also coming along soon.

Photographers are clearly spoilt for choice at the moment, with image quality etc. increasing across the different camera classes. It has got me wondering if APS-C DSLR's are going to survive as a camera class for more than another few years.

Any thoughts or comments?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
11-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #8794
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I was in Napier earlier this week, and while I was out getting dinner the sunset 'happened'. Unfortunately I didn't have the K3 with me at the time (or the Q) but of course I did have my phone. So I grabbed an image of the sunset, and finally got time to load it and do a little PP. 29mm (EFOV) so wide enough.

Yes, I could have got an image with more information, much better micro contrast etc if I had the K3 and Zeiss 35/2 with me - but I have been thinking since grabbing this image about just how good the smartphone cameras (apple, samsung, nokia etc) are getting. I think zkarj made a comment about this a while back.

I have also been reading and looking at reviews this evening of the Panasonic LX100, which seems to be a very good camera 24-75mm (EFOV) and what look to be some very good controls, with a m4/3 sensor, and then of course the Sony A7II is also coming along soon.

Photographers are clearly spoilt for choice at the moment, with image quality etc. increasing across the different camera classes. It has got me wondering if APS-C DSLR's are going to survive as a camera class for more than another few years.

Any thoughts or comments?
I have said in the past that pentaprism viewing is a sunset technology. Well after spending a year with the Q with a lcd viewfinder stuck to its butt I am even more convinced EVF is the way forward. Of course that is using manual focus (legacy) lens.
The contrast detect is pretty good. It is so good in fact that I can make a good guess at the optimum aperture of the lens by looking at the degree of contrast detect.
As for format the Q is a pretty good camera but still compared to the K 30 it is like going to work in your mini as compared to a roller.
In the film days the horrible instamatics did quite a good job in good daylight at normal subject matter. The strength of the slr was the versatility in different conditions.
The same holds true with the p&s vs dslr.
But what has been holding my attention for the last couple of nights and a fair chunk of today is how to get my new wireless printer to talk to the virtual xp I use for printing. What a mission and I have not got anywhere yet. My linux host computer prints quite well to it but I am hoping for a more polished result using the correct drivers on xp.
Arrrrgh

11-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #8795
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But what has been holding my attention for the last couple of nights and a fair chunk of today is how to get my new wireless printer to talk to the virtual xp I use for printing. What a mission and I have not got anywhere yet. My linux host computer prints quite well to it but I am hoping for a more polished result using the correct drivers on xp.
Arrrrgh
I can remember coding in DOS to get dot matrix printers to carriage return at the right place to stay on the page. That was a very long time ago - well before such useful things as printer drivers

---------- Post added 28-11-14 at 10:44 PM ----------

I have said in the past that pentaprism viewing is a sunset technology. Well after spending a year with the Q with a lcd viewfinder stuck to its butt I am even more convinced EVF is the way forward.
I suspect that sadly you are correct
11-28-2014, 03:41 AM   #8796
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
this sort work both ways
Wow, look at her ...muscles...
11-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #8797
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can remember coding in DOS to get dot matrix printers to carriage return at the right place to stay on the page. That was a very long time ago - well before such useful things as printer drivers

---------- Post added 28-11-14 at 10:44 PM ----------

I suspect that sadly you are correct
Finally beaten it. A case of setting up the correct combination of attributes on the network adapter in virtualbox. There is an awful lot of variables in the entire setup.
Networking just isn't simple.

11-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #8798

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
FYI anyone using youshop the coupon code #nzsecretsanta give you 15% off until the 5th of December

I've used Youshop before but it was only amazing with the first time use where I got a massive discount coupon. The biggest issue/s for me were:
1) it takes ages if you use the free shipping in America to the Youshop address, so not a great option if you are time restricted.
2) You have no idea in advance what size the shipping from your seller is going to be, and you pay on weight and volume with Youshop. If the item is really well protected in a large box, it could cost you quite a bit.

Of note though is that if the seller simply won't ship internationally from the US, then at least Youshop gives you and option. The tracking etc is usually really good. I have used it and would again if I really had to. For most stuff that can be shipped to NZ, I'd probably pay the $20 more and use their shipping to get it direct to me quicker.

Thanks. I have used Youshop before but found them quite expensive with Amazon US box sizes.
I have ordered the K50 from Pentax webstore for $US299 + free shipping in US. What a bargain. Hopefully Youshop shipping will be around $40 mark and no custom GST added on.
11-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #8799
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Wow, look at her ...muscles...
She'd need them, look at the state the photographer is in...
presumably there is another porter as well for any huge Canikon gear

just to assist with context and relieve need to search previous pages

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 09:25 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
Thanks. I have used Youshop before but found them quite expensive with Amazon US box sizes.
I have ordered the K50 from Pentax webstore for $US299 + free shipping in US. What a bargain. Hopefully Youshop shipping will be around $40 mark and no custom GST added on.
great deal congrats !
never tempt fate on GST until it is in your happy hands
the window is closing

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 09:27 AM ----------

But what has been holding my attention for the last couple of nights and a fair chunk of today is how to get my new wireless printer to talk to the virtual xp I use for printing. What a mission ........
hope you are charging, office costs are shocking these days

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 09:30 AM ----------

Last edited by Transit; 11-28-2014 at 01:57 PM.
11-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #8800

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
great deal congrats !
never tempt fate on GST until it is in your happy hands
the window is closing
The whatsmyduty.org.nz website says its under $60 threshold so fingers crossed, but yes the GST window is closing. The gov is just looking for a cheap way to collect GST, not sure if they have found it yet.
11-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #8801
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
The whatsmyduty.org.nz website says its under $60 threshold so fingers crossed, but yes the GST window is closing. The gov is just looking for a cheap way to collect GST, not sure if they have found it yet.
And long may that continue
11-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #8802
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The gov is just looking for a cheap way to collect GST, not sure if they have found it yet.
If they find a cheap way to collect off miscellaneous stuff like that then they have a way to take it off things like bread and milk and we should hold them to it.
11-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #8803
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If they find a cheap way to collect off miscellaneous stuff like that then they have a way to take it off things like bread and milk and we should hold them to it.
The issue with exemptions GUB is the mind boggling complexity it leads to - look at the knots the Aussies have tied themselves in over this subject. I am a fan of no exemptions as it keeps GST simple and fair, then if there are income issues for the lower paid work on changing the thresholds of the PAYE system (say for example first 10K tax free) or income assistance packages.

I like the no GST on overseas purchases (obviously as it benefits me when I buy gear) but logically it will disappear to level the playing field. There is a definite fairness issue when you can purchase stuff from Amazon (for example) and straight up you have a 15% advantage over the NZ retailer.
11-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #8804
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
straight up you have a 15% advantage over the NZ retailer.
...who won't stock the item you want but will moan mercilessly if you buy it overseas. !
11-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #8805
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
...who won't stock the item you want but will moan mercilessly if you buy it overseas. !
Yep most of the stuff I get from overseas is coz I can't get it here.
Even photo paper. Ilford Duo (2 sided paper) -- finally found a source at progear and then had to wait while they imported it.
Tough print paper for mapping, ilford galerie gold fibre silk (OK photo warehouse had it in 10s from memory).
In wangas it is hard to even find any cheap foto paper--- Crazy-- stores full of printers skiting how great a foto they print --- paper---naa.

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 12:27 PM ----------

And while I still have dribble running off my chin from that spiel :
got the HP envy 4500 finally running thru the virtualization only to find it can't handle heavy quality photo paper. (The gold fibre silk is 310gsm)
Chose the printer as a linux ready one for my missus-- thank god it was a cheapy.
My Canon mp610 is buggered-- banding that won't clear.
So now I have something like 600 sheets of quality photo paper with no printer.
I want another Canon I think -- Any advice?