Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 12:32 AM   #9316
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
That said, I've just dropped USD$300 or so on a box with some holes in it. Some might call it an electronic gadget, but all it does is connect one set of holes to another.
Cool, very fancy box with holes in it

02-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #9317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's not taken long for the bogan to come out! Buy a Ford man!
Buy a board you say ? Yeah the seats are coming out today. Ply liner going in.
a few speakers, sub, dice
02-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #9318
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Buy a board you say ? Yeah the seats are coming out today. Ply liner going in.
a few speakers, sub, dice
Kitted out like that, are you sure it won't get nicked in Whanga's?
02-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #9319
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sheesh!

Stop spending on frivolous stuff. Keep yer amenities going please folks.

That said, I've just dropped USD$300 or so on a box with some holes in it. Some might call it an electronic gadget, but all it does is connect one set of holes to another.

If you're a Mac user and didn't know about that site, then I apologise. To your wallet.
I'm confused. Does your computer / laptop not have all these holes already? (I'd be requesting a refund if that was so!)

02-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #9320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm confused. Does your computer / laptop not have all these holes already? (I'd be requesting a refund if that was so!)
Nup.

Ethernet, audio in/out, Firewire 800 on the laptop will be duplicated on the dock.

2 x USB2 will be freed up on the laptop.

5 x USB3, Thunderbolt*, HDMI will be added via the dock.

*Currently the single Thunderbolt port on the laptop is used for a display. With the dock attached by Thunderbolt, it'll still have a spare Thunderbolt and take the display on HDMI, freeing up Thunderbolt for other things like a fast hard drive (which I have).

So spare ports on the laptop and faster connections (USB & reclaiming Thunderbolt), but best of all, when wanting to 'go bush' with the laptop, there are only 2 wires to disconnect, instead of the current 7.

Last edited by zkarj; 02-08-2015 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Correction to last sentence.
02-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #9321
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So spare ports on the laptop and faster connections (USB & reclaiming Thunderbolt), but best of all, when wanting to 'go bush' with the laptop, there are only 2 wires to disconnect, instead of the current 7.
I wasn't aware of Apple docks, but my boring old HP ProBook came as a bundle with a dock, and I don't know how I survived with a laptop before I had one. Basically press a button on the dock to release the laptop, and that's it. Power, external monitor, audio, USB cables, external keyboard, everything released with one click.
Knowing that these things exist for Macs too might increase the possibility that I consider a Mac when I'm shopping for a future laptop.
02-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #9322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Kitted out like that, are you sure it won't get nicked in Whanga's?
Don't cast your SI nasturtiums on us

02-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #9323
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I wasn't aware of Apple docks, but my boring old HP ProBook came as a bundle with a dock, and I don't know how I survived with a laptop before I had one. Basically press a button on the dock to release the laptop, and that's it. Power, external monitor, audio, USB cables, external keyboard, everything released with one click.
Knowing that these things exist for Macs too might increase the possibility that I consider a Mac when I'm shopping for a future laptop.
Agreed. It just makes working from office and out on the road so easy. My HP is the same.
02-09-2015, 12:18 AM   #9324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I wasn't aware of Apple docks.
They're not docks in the true sense of the word as you describe for a PC, because that would require support from Apple.

But since Thunderbolt ports appeared (my late 2011 Macbook Pro has one, but only USB 2) the concept of docks took off. There are various available from Belkin, Elgato, OWC and others. I opted for the OWC on the basis of the specific mix of ports, though I would have loved an eSata as well (as I have an eSata drive dock). It's just a case of working out which one serves your needs best.

Having used IBM ThinkPads on docks for some years I reckon this cable approach is simpler because I do remember futzing around a bit getting docking ports to line up whereas this is a simple cable on the side where you can see what you're doing. The dock 'box' is sitting beneath the plinth I sit the laptop on so it's out of the way.
02-10-2015, 12:47 AM   #9325
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax blues and greens

I had a meeting in Westport yesterday and drove over Sunday afternoon. Arthurs Pass is a good midpoint for a break, and there were Kea playing up, so I got a few photos. K3 and HD DA55-300 WR. I had a polarising filter on the front of the lens.

I have to say that I still find that the combination of Pentax cameras and lenses give fantastic blue and green colouring. I am not so sure about the red's....In any case, a couple of characters for your enjoyment
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-10-2015, 01:28 AM   #9326
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice shots, Ross.
02-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #9327
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a meeting in Westport yesterday and drove over Sunday afternoon. Arthurs Pass is a good midpoint for a break, and there were Kea playing up, so I got a few photos. K3 and HD DA55-300 WR. I had a polarising filter on the front of the lens.

I have to say that I still find that the combination of Pentax cameras and lenses give fantastic blue and green colouring. I am not so sure about the red's....In any case, a couple of characters for your enjoyment
Nice ones Ross.
I see your exif states "white balance-- manual"
Are you saving as Jpeg?
May be a little warmer white balance may find a little more red.
02-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #9328
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Nice ones Ross.
I see your exif states "white balance-- manual"
Are you saving as Jpeg?
May be a little warmer white balance may find a little more red.
I am shooting RAW and imgesting into Aperture. The files save in jpeg to export and load to PF. I can't remember if I played with the white balance in processing or not. Usually I don't as the K3 is normally pretty good.

---------- Post added 11-02-15 at 07:04 AM ----------

Really nice shots, Ross.
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Nice ones Ross.
Thanks Mark and GUB
02-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #9329
Pentaxian

I have to say that I still find that the combination of Pentax cameras and lenses give fantastic blue and green colouring...)

and purple fringing ? looks like he's giving you the finger :0
probably prefers canokonians car trim
02-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #9330
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
and purple fringing ? looks like he's giving you the finger :0
probably prefers Nikonians car trim
Thankfully it was someone else car, not our one The owners were there, but didn't seem too concerned.
« GR x GIN Social | - »