Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #961
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
It depends what you are looking at though as to whether GST is chargeable.. anything under $400 does not fall under the NZ customs ‘radar.
Seems like you could save $51.25 for GST, if they mark down the price of the flash by $11.

10-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #962
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, but I've decided I don't want the sigma afetr all! I was all set to get the Metz 48 from B&H but they're out of stock, as is Adorama. It's touch and go whether I'll pay GST on that, hope the dollar stays up for a while.
10-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #963
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote

For tax purposes we are happy to mark the price of the goods down to show a much lesser value for this purpose.
."
LOL anyone want to forward this to the Commerce Commission.
I will if no one else does
Pete
10-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #964
Pentaxian

New stuff is too much trouble
Buy Takumars
Pete

10-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #965
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
LOL anyone want to forward this to the Commerce Commission.
I will if no one else does
Pete
I think that IRD and the Customs would probably be interested. I would like to asked them if they will issue a GST receipt. A requirement for every business.
10-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #966
Veteran Member

If anyone is interested I'm going to sell a couple of lenses:

Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 (pentax screw mount)
Good condition, front and rear caps. Original leather Takumar pouch, also good condition.
49mm thread. I don't have the m42 adaptor that allows infinity focus, although there is currently one I think I saw the other day at WPS.
Brilliant lens, apparently one of the great normal primes, but I don't need that range at that speed with manual focus.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (Pentax mount)
In excellent condition. A budget zoom, but really sharp if you can stop it down to say, f/8. Very useful range. Selling as I have the APO version of this lens too.

Give me a bell if you're interested at whatever price, or I'll trade me them tomorrow I think. Cheers
10-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #967
Pentaxian

Wet in the weekend? Just a little-

10-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #968
Pentaxian

Good grief I hope you got the K7 well wet
Love the expression of the forward in the second one
Pete
10-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #969
Veteran Member

Awesome to be able to use digital camera gear in that kind of weather. I tried to get out in the rain with my 18-55, with some success in keeping it relatively dry. I was half sure it was going to fry the lens, I just hoped my K10D would be OK. Both were fine though, it didn't even really get that wet.
10-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #970
Pentaxian

I have to use my awesome cheap raincape as I use a Sigma lens. The back of the camera does get wet, and it's nice not to have to worry about that. If only Pentax made a DA* 70-200 and matching 1.4x, it would be pretty cool to stay out there with no rain protection.
10-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #971
Veteran Member

Definitely making one of those for my Sigma 24-60. I also got a UV filter, pretty much just so i can wipe it qucikly without worrying about getting anything on the front element.
10-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #972
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Interesting with the GST. My understanding is that legally a price is including GST unless stated. How do they get around it? It is after all sold through a shop in New Zealand.
It pays to be careful with the parallel importers.
I believe you are correct. I run a web development business, and we advice all our e-commerce customers to price this way - the few who insist on GST exclusive pricing have large disclaimers in the footers of the website explaining the entire site is GST exclusive. You are definitely allowed to price exclusive of GST, but you must say so prominently, and on every single page which shows a price.

QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
I don't think they can legally sell the item like that. I have a feeling that they don't pay any GST on their sales and me wonder how you can legally defer the GST payment to the customer.
Short version - they can't. I bet they've importing the item as 'the customer', thus stiffing the customer for taxes and fees - and hoping to fly under the IRD's radar.
10-12-2009, 05:19 AM   #973
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I bet they've importing the item as 'the customer', thus stiffing the customer for taxes and fees - and hoping to fly under the IRD's radar.
Not supporting any illegal activities but tell me what shop doesn't "stiff" the customer for taxes and fees?
It all ends up on the customer's end price one way or the other. Often the difference between manufacturing cost and price paid by the customer is ridiculous.

I believe the way things are going, there will be less money making in the chain in the future. It'll be one thing if there was valued added on the way, such as a competent consulting about product choice but these days you've got to be lucky to find someone in a shop that knows more than you can learn from browsing the internet for 15min.
10-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Not supporting any illegal activities but tell me what shop doesn't "stiff" the customer for taxes and fees?
It all ends up on the customer's end price one way or the other. Often the difference between manufacturing cost and price paid by the customer is ridiculous.

I believe the way things are going, there will be less money making in the chain in the future. It'll be one thing if there was valued added on the way, such as a competent consulting about product choice but these days you've got to be lucky to find someone in a shop that knows more than you can learn from browsing the internet for 15min.
hard to argue really...
can I add decent after sales service as well ?

Pete
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #975
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

In that case it is not really the shop that "stiff" the customer but the customs and inland revenue.
I can agree that a lot of shops have poor knowledge about the products and even worse after sale service but there are a few that still have the knowledge and service. These often smaller companies are not making huge profits and unfortunately their days as you say are numbered as they are the ones disappearing from the chain.

When they are gone you will only have the big boys such as Harvey Normans where good advice is rare. The problem I have is that the parallel importing guys have no overheads, are not able to give advice, clearly trying to defraud and in the end will kill of the small companies with knowledgeable staff.

I run my own small company and I know a lot of people in similar situation to me that have been struggling the last couple of years with lower sales but we still pay our overheads, duties and taxes. Contrary to popular belief most of the smaller shops does not make much money. So when I see the answer on my question to the mentioned company I get a bit hot under the collar.

Hi,

Our invoices won't include GST because when ordering you are not actually
paying GST on our products. This may be applicable when it arrives into the
country in which case you would then be issued with a receipt. However we do
our best (to undervalue the shipping invoice for duty purposes) so that no
GST will be payable even then.

Cheers
Eddie
« GR x GIN Social | - »