Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3679 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #976
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to get the Metz flash from either B&H or Adorama. B&H only ship to your CC billing address, home, which is dumb, noone there! Helen from Adorama says they can ship elsewhere after jumping through a few more hoops, I've put a query into B&H about it. As I've already used them I rather go with B&H. I would offer to get something for anyone else too, but with a bit of luck the flash will come in GST free, if our dollar hangs in there, so I don't want to bump up the total.

I don't feel so bad as this flash isn't on sale anywhere here.

10-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #977
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I don't feel so bad as this flash isn't on sale anywhere here.
You could have the decency to wait at least 3-4 years and see whether it becomes available locally.

Shame on you!

10-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #978
Veteran Member

Thought I'd just post a quick note about CR Kennedy, the NZ Sigma dealers.

I got my Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG through them at a very good price (about $400 I think it was), a quality lens too. Anyway, it turned out the lens had back-focusing issues, as it seems Sigmas often do. Anyway, CR Kennedy took the lens back, no issues, and sent it off to their technicians in Melbourne for adjustment. It was still back-focusing so I sent it back again. They got in touch and said that the lens itself matched their test body fine, but I was welcome to send in my K10D for setting up the lens with that, but that it might put my other lenses out. Only then did I really read up on how the K10D can be easily 'hacked' to get into debug mode, and the focus adjusted and saved for, I think it was, up to 4 lenses. So now the lens works well. Just thought I'd let you know that CR Kennedy was very good to deal with, and posted my lens around no problems, and always well packaged. I'd definitely buy from them again.

Another thing, the other day I was stopped in the street in Wellington by a security guard for taking photos. First time this has happened to me in NZ, though it seems it's a common enough occurence in the UK and US. Turns out I was hanging around taking photos outside the Army HQ near Thorndon Quay in Wellington. People in the building had looked out the window, seen me taking photos, and got security. He wanted to look at/delete my photos, but I just said I was taking street photos, didn't have anything of the building, or through windows. He told me to move along and went back inside.
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #979
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Great to hear that they offered to match your camera to the lens.

Only then did I really read up on how the K10D can be easily 'hacked' to get into debug mode, and the focus adjusted and saved for, I think it was, up to 4 lenses.
Note that depending on your K10D firmware there are up to three ways to get into the debug menu:
  1. key combination (stopped working after a certain FW version)
  2. external program
  3. files on the SD card.

Also note that while a Pentax technician can calibrate the K10D for up to four different lenses, you -- via the debug menu -- can only change the AF calibration for the body, i.e., by the same amount for all your lenses. Luckily, I found a setting that works great with all my lenses. However, you cannot correct individual lens problems via the debug menu without affecting other lenses.

Careful testing may reveal that the other lenses also benefit from the adjustment needed for your Sigma?

Make sure you don't fall into any of the AF adjustment traps.

Another thing, the other day I was stopped in the street in Wellington by a security guard for taking photos.
Uh, scary. Glad to hear it went well without any nasty conversations/actions.

10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #980
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A:
Also note that while a Pentax technician can calibrate the K10D for up to four different lenses, you -- via the debug menu -- can only change the AF calibration for the body
Ah, this I didn't know. But a quick test at 1:2 macro seems to show that it hasn't put that out. Though that is also with a Sigma (70-300 APO DG). It was only a small adjustment.
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #981
Pentaxian

Did you buy it direct from them? I queried them about the lack of Metz flashes, and I got a reply from Wellington Photographics as they passed my email on!

Another thing, the other day I was stopped in the street in Wellington by a security guard for taking photos.
That's the first I've heard of here. I sort quite look forward to it happening to me, to see how far they will go, to see how far I will go too! Police I'm far more likely to cooperate with, Security Guard, not so likely.
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #982
Pentaxian

Is anyone here registered on ebay? I want to get a second battery for my K-7, they're cheap as chips on there, but I don't really want to got hrough the hassle of registering and figuring it all out just for one purchase. If anyone was willing to buy one or two for me (at that price I may as well get 2) it would be great. I'd pay up front of course.

The only other place seems to be bestbatt.com, which would get to me for around $40. The ebay ones are around half that.

10-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #983
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe:
Did you buy it direct from them? I queried them about the lack of Metz flashes, and I got a reply from Wellington Photographics as they passed my email on!
Yeah directly from them. Strange they didn't have the flashes, being the only authorised Sigma dealer in NZ, as far as I know.

Yeah the security guard thing was interesting. Seeing as how I had no photos of the building, I just left it at that. If he tried to get me to delete photos I wouldn't have been too happy. Although I don't know the legal grounds that well, I would think that being in a public place taking photos isn't grounds for a security guard to take away your images.

I had a similar experience recently out in Wairarapa, where I went into (what I thought was a public) large graveyard for a better view of the mountains. Turns out it was the local iwi's personal graveyard and a few people who turned up weren't too happy about my being there. I explained and apologised but they wanted my camera, which didn't happen.
10-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #984
Veteran Member

Just with regards to that, granted it's obviously a touchy area if you find a random person walking around a relatives' graveyard. However I did apologise, point out that I thought it was public, that I was only taking shots of the hills, and offered to leave. Then it got a bit nasty with the requests to take the camera away, for my address and contact details, and to charge me with trespass. I think it's good to know your legal rights in that kind of situation. I think trespass might be a common one that comes up for some photographers. As far as I know you're OK if it's not clearly private (e.g. a sign saying private driveway, or no trespass, or a big fence), and you're OK if you leave if asked to.

Does anyone know the trespass law well?

Last edited by CWyatt; 10-13-2009 at 04:39 PM.
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #985
Pentaxian

I don't claim to know it, but tend to concur with your thoughts on it.
10-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #986

well..

U gave us what u wanted... but exactly.... Obama is still not our president.
Amongst men that can change the world very rapidly,,,, he sure is on a privileged spot.
But i think he is over rated..
(As president .. not as man.. off course).

ehr...

can u give me any opinions on my uncertainty ??

Should I :

-> buy the K20D body..

OR

-> wait it out a bit and get the Nikon D300

I myself being a Pentax fan would go for the almost one third of the price _ K20D but i am worried as about the longevitiy of my future system.

I know that FF bodies will lower the price level..in a couple of years time.. and i believe that i will get into the Full Frame format later on.. most probably :

I focus on
_ #1 - portrait (also in landscape).. ;

_ #2 - artistic shots because i work in the arts world_ being a musician/composer

_ #3 bulidings , landscapes and design details, now that i began studying Architecture , and will major in a few years.

I reckon that i should get an all rounder..

I like the K20D cos it is way cheap -> around €500 currently and because it is great for portrait.. chrome distortion is low.. sharpeness and contrast are great and it is a great camera to carry around (due to protection against humidity and dust) and above all to grip and feel in your hands.
Plus its got body-stabilization.

On the downside :

#1 - i usually shoot without the use of flash.. and i really need to get a quick camera on low light conditions..
Afterall... who isnt always looking for that no-flash and natural portrait shot.. either on a bar..on a gig.. on stage..off stage..with some friends... with strangers ..whatever ?

#2 - as i said.. i will probably go into FF sensor later on.. and therefor i am in deed a little reluctant to spend my money on a few Pentax lenses that will later not fit into any other full frame that not K-mount... although Samsung as been rumoured to be releasing a K-mount FF in the future.

Lenses wise :

my game being on lenses no higher than €1000 ..
I will probably get a couple of wide lenses .. like 10-24mm ;
.the Sigma 10-20 looks cool too ;
. the Pentax SMC-FA 31mm F1.8 A looks great too..

. a 50mm smc FA 1:1,4 or a wider one ..

Most probably the 10-17mm Pentax fish eye as well .. or a Nikon similar.

and maybe a 70-200 .... maybe..

as for Macro.. i like the

Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

and the

Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO

ALL this being said.. I am very undecided as to get the K20D right away.. and a not so expensive lense like the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO ..

OR

wait .. a bit .. save a little more dough and get the Nikon d300 (i have no need for the video option)

If i get the K20d, i will keep using it until i feel i am ready for a FF.. and off course if one Pentax FF is available..
If i get the Nikon d300 i will probably stay with APS-C cos .. i dont think i will spend €1500 that soon.. even if the FFs price levels lower a lot.

Note : By the way.. if i spend more money to stretch for the K7.. i might as well get the D300.

PS : i know that at least some of the lenses i mentioned are APS-C only.. but i only wanted you guys to get the picture..

So... i will wait your thoughts on the matter.
Different opinions and intakes are always healthy ..

cheers,

thanks a lot

Duarte

PSS: I have not been in NZ for long.. But i always wanted to be here.
Can i pass as kiwi??
This is kinda like Portugal.. but only...better....
And evidently .. kicks the hell outta Australia.. ... specially Adelaide Australia......
10-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #987
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duarte Quote

Note : By the way.. if i spend more money to stretch for the K7.. i might as well get the D300.
handle them and all will be revealed

PSS: I have not been in NZ for long.. But i always wanted to be here.
Can i pass as kiwi??
no worries

Pete
10-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #988
Pentaxian

Can i pass as kiwi??
We'll arrange a vote!

If the Nikon D300 was in a K-7 body I would get it. Check them side by side in a shop. Maybe you like bigger cameras, I don't. Even the K20D is smaller than the D300. Unless you're doing something that needs faster AF the K20D will do fine.
10-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #989
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Should I :

-> buy the K20D body..

OR

-> wait it out a bit and get the Nikon D300
None of the applications you mention require top-class AF or high fps so I don't see what the allure of the D300 for you is.

On the contrary, the in-body image stabilisation of the K20D should suit you very well and keep your lens expenditures down. The availability of some very good, fast glass for the K-mount also speaks in favour of the K20D (unless money is not a concern in which case the options in Canikon land are plenty).

As for high ISO capability, the recent K-7 review on dpreview shows that the K20D (sic) is right up their with the best when it comes to RAW quality. If you get yourself a decent noise reduction software like Neatimage or Noise Ninja you should be good and -- as opposed to Canikon -- can actually control how much detail you want to throw away with the noise.

Where the D300 has the edge is in dynamic range, which is perhaps ~1.5 stops better (not sure, check DxOMark results and make sure you use the "Print" tab for comparisons to compare image rather than pixel noise).

I'm pretty sure that Pentax/Samsung will eventually come up with a full frame body. You may have to be patient but sooner or later the cost of FF sensors will have come done and Pentax (hopefully) will have acquired the financial backup to do some FF lens development again.
10-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #990
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mates,

from October 30th - November 1st there is a "Get A Grip" convention at the Silverstream Retreat, Silverstream, Upper Hutt.

Apparently they still got some places left. There are field trips, workshops, speakers, ...

I have booked and look forward to the event.