01-04-2016, 12:57 AM   #10726
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This one:

01-04-2016, 01:33 AM   #10727
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 85Civic Quote
What's the photo of richandfleur? I can't see anything No access apparently.
plus zee one

---------- Post added 4th Jan 2016 at 09:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
This one:

still nothing
01-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #10728

hi all.. i dont know if i am aloud to ask here but....will anybody be selling their k5iis or k3 soonish???
01-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #10729

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi-paul Quote
will anybody be selling their k5iis or k3 soonish???
I'd sell my K5IIs ... but only for a K-3 II :P
Though it's got a pretty high shutter count, so idk if you'd want it

It seems to be easier to buy and sell lenses here (which is still a pretty long process really)

01-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #10730
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

hi all.. i dont know if i am aloud to ask here but....will anybody be selling their k5iis or k3 soonish???
The big depends for me is the new Pentax FF - specs and cost. If I buy a Pentax FF I will be looking to sell my K3 to help pay for it, but I think that is more likely I will wait for the first round of price drops in say early 2017.

In all honesty, I won't know whether I intend to buy one or not until I see the specs, price, reviews and images taken with the FF. So a bit of time until all that will be available.

Cheers

Ross
01-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #10731

have you seen someone has got a k3 on TM going quite cheap
01-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #10732
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For anyone wanting a K3 that is well worth looking at, particularly as it also has the battery grip included...

01-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #10733

This one I'm guessing?

Yeah that's dam cheap, I was kind of wanting to get the II because of the astrotracer, but this seems as good an option as any.

Can I ask your thoughts Ross? K3 (plus aastrotracer down the road) vs K3 II?
01-07-2016, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #10734
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I ask your thoughts Ross? K3 (plus aastrotracer down the road) vs K3 II?
No problems - that K3 on TM is a very competitive NZ price for a K3 at the moment. I am really enjoying my K3, but I primarily shoot landscapes, nature, cityscapes and travel stuff handheld. So the K3 II features, whilst nice don't push me to upgrade.

If you are wanting to do astrophotography then the K3 II features are good - no mucking around with extra kit, batteries etc. Pixel shift for tripod landscapes / stuff not moving also gives good possibilities for better image quality.

What do I think is going to happen a bit later this year:
1. The new Pentax FF will entice a lot of people to upgrade from K3, K3 II - it is going to have a pretty good auto APS-C crop based on the lens mounted. It has a tilt-screen and I think it will have a couple of other compelling features. Net result - within 6 months there will be a lot of K3 / K3 II on the market which will lead to lower prices
2. If you look at the new Nikon D500 - it is a very good APS-C camera that is a direct competitor with the Canon 7D II and the K3 II - it has some new features that are well ahead of the Canon and Pentax. Expensive, but high end feature rich. So, I think we will also see Pentax release a APS-C flagship update body later this year, with some feature upgrades - just so Pentax can remain competitive. So, again that will lead to people who aren't going to the Pentax FF still upgrading to the new model - more K3 / K3 II for sale = lower prices.

So....lots of opportunities coming up later this year...but that TM one is also a pretty good price for right now.

The answer lies in what your purchase timeframe is, and how long you are prepared to wait

Cheers

Ross
01-07-2016, 02:35 AM   #10735

Haha sounds like you're trying to word it so I can never blame you

Yeah well at the moment, there's three things I want that's gonna cost a bit of money
A Photog printer (A3 or A3+ ... so big)
K3/ K3IIs - since my K5IIs is showing a lot of hot spots and dead pixels on long exposures
Lenses ... and that's selling my lenses and buying Pentax ones (with AF!)

So the Printer could make me money if I start going to markets, the camera can get me better astro images with the tracer (though I'm not that limited in resolution with the 5). And the lenses, well that just tidies everything up a little

... it's not the most straight forward decision that's for sure.
01-07-2016, 03:37 AM   #10736
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

they never are....
01-07-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #10737
Pentaxian

...- since my K5IIs is showing a lot of hot spots and dead pixels on long exposures
you can map them out I think
01-07-2016, 03:54 AM   #10738

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
you can map them out I think
.... I forgot about Pixel Mapping
Just did it so I'll have to let you know later on if it did anything.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Originally posted by 85Civic
they never are....
Just found out that refilling one of those big printers can cost $1k, so that might make it an easier decision ... but if I can sell say 50 prints with that ink I'd be doing alright ^_^

But in other news I got my first NEW lens in like three years! Probably more like 5 but hey
It's the Pentax 35mm f2.4, from BnH since they were having some good Christmas specials I got it as cheap as the used ones ^^
01-07-2016, 03:54 AM   #10739
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K3/ K3IIs - since my K5IIs is showing a lot of hot spots and dead pixels on long exposures
As Transit said, you can map them out with the camera (p. 273 in the manual, setup menu 4).

Some RAW converters do it automatically.

There is very little harm in fixing individual pixels like that. If the problem were a line (like the K-7 green line syndrome) or a lot of magenta noise, or a similar then post-processing would not be easy, but single pixels can be addressed easily.

I think Ross did a great job explaining why it would be worth waiting a bit longer, if you can.
01-07-2016, 04:08 AM   #10740

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If the problem were a line
I've had that on the rear screen on my 5 where you get a line running down part of the screen, but it's only really distracting with bright colours ... and sometimes I never even notice it

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think Ross did a great job explaining why it would be worth waiting a bit longer, if you can.
Yeah I can agree with you there, what's scary to me though is that the K3 is already cheaper then when I brought my K5 IIs off Trademe three years ago. So it feels like it can't really drop too much more. But hey maybe there'll be a rush for the FF
« GR x GIN Social | - »