Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2016, 02:57 AM   #12031
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
Everything else seems to be in tip-top shape, apart from perhaps our nerves.
Good to hear you are physically ok then. No where in NZ is really safe from Earthquakes, although Auckland probably scores well enough - just cyclones, tsunami and volcanic eruptions to worry about up there. In the South Island, Timaru where I am is as good as anywhere - mainly because it is built on basalt which helps with stability. A really big Alpine Fault quake though, and the whole of the South Island is going to feel it badly. Wellington is not the best spot if you don't like earthquakes, and is still due for a big quake on the Wellington Fault

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
I could do with a house with a Pentax body - 5 axis shake reduction would be quite handy around here at the moment.
Good to know you are ok. I thought of you the other day, and wondered how you had got on.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, tonight, on of the talking heads on the news says: "We don't know if it's permanent". Ahhh. Yes.
The mind boggles. Probably best that they are in the industry they are in, where there are such low expectations, and not Engineers

11-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #12032
Pentaxian

"We don't know if it's permanent"
No, it's not. Nothing is permanent!
11-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #12033
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
No, it's not. Nothing is permanent!
Well no. But it's not likely to be back to normal tomorrow either.
11-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #12034
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Nothing is permanent!
If that were true, then "change" would be permanent -> contradiction.

Also, the "big freeze" scenario as the ultimate fate of the universe isn't off the table yet. According to it, the universe will become a permanently dead place.

11-16-2016, 12:53 AM   #12035
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Foxton Beach got a hiding.

Metre-deep cracks found at Foxton Beach following 7.5 earthquake | Stuff.co.nz
11-16-2016, 01:11 AM   #12036
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely agree.

Tonight, on the news they were talking about the sea floor lifting. Now, we know, if we look around especially the East coast of New Zealand, that most major quakes seem to lift the land. That's why the Basin Reserve is no longer a basin and why we can now drive from Wellington to Petone. So, tonight, one of the talking heads on the news says: "We don't know if it's permanent". Ahhh. Yes.
I guess it's 'permanent' until the sea erodes it, which might take a while. At least I guess that's one very expensive solution to the threat of rising sea levels from climate change. At least as long as the next earthquake moves things in the same direction, although given the Kaikoura ranges, I think there is a bit of a general trend upwards in the region.
11-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #12037
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't get me started on "Climate Change"!

11-16-2016, 01:40 AM   #12038
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Also, the "big freeze" scenario as the ultimate fate of the universe isn't off the table yet. According to it, the universe will become a permanently dead place.
That is a particularly cheerful diagnosis...
11-16-2016, 01:59 AM   #12039
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
That is a particularly cheerful diagnosis...
Almost as cheerful as The Big Rip.

Big Rip - Wikipedia
11-16-2016, 02:12 AM   #12040
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
Almost as cheerful as The Big Rip.

Big Rip - Wikipedia
We better start preparing for that. It's "only" 22 billion years from now. I'm start by maxing out the credit card.
11-16-2016, 05:41 AM   #12041
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two observations I'll repeat after posting them on some thread maybe twice before:
1) Humans cannot abide any change except those they make themselves.
2) Over long periods of time, the most unstable feature of the Earth's surface has been the boundary between land and sea.
11-16-2016, 06:10 PM   #12042
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
We better start preparing for that. It's "only" 22 billion years from now. I'm start by maxing out the credit card.
Don't worry, humans are unlikely to be around.

I think in about 600 million years there's meant to be a slight problem with a lack of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to the point most plants won't be able to survive as a result of weathering of silicate rocks and formation of carbonate rocks.

Of course we could save up all our fossil fuels till then, but the sun increases in luminosity by about 1% every 100 million years, so earth is going to be getting quite toasty by then even without any greenhouse effect.

Eventually our nice celestial nuclear fusion reactor is going to run out of fuel and expand so much that earth gets cooked, and most likely absorbed, no matter how many 'Nuclear Free' signs Kiwis wave around.

Speaking of ways to get fried, while earthquakes aren't pleasant, they are a consequence of a floating crust on a molten core, and without that spinning liquid there would be no magnetic field so we'd get fried by the sun's radiation.

Shaken but not fried.
11-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #12043
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
Shaken but not fried.

Do Kiwi agents respond to how they feel after the quakes with "Shaken, not stirred."?
11-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #12044
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sleeping in the top bunk in a hut at 1300metres and perched above a 200metre precipice and with Murchison in the valley in the background is perhaps not the ideal spot for an earthquake, but actually it wasn't too bad – I think Wanganui felt it worse.
Ghost lake hut on the Old Ghost Road from Lyall to Seddonville.
Attached Images

11-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #12045

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Sleeping in the top bunk in a hut at 1300metres and perched above a 200metre precipice and with Murchison in the valley in the background is perhaps not the ideal spot for an earthquake, but actually it wasn't too bad – I think Wanganui felt it worse.
Ghost lake hut on the Old Ghost Road from Lyall to Seddonville.

Lyall. How are the sandflies? All 75 million of them?

---------- Post added 11-20-16 at 10:37 AM ----------

Spotted Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 APO DG Lens for Pentax 85126505455 | eBay