Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3680 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #12451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
ZKARJ is a master of the BIF shot -his aircraft in flight shot's are fantastic.
I think I might be being dense, but what does BIF stand for? In any case, thanks! I think.

I'm still coming to terms with LightRoom but I now view anything I shoot solely in terms of composition and a quick check that the exposure's in the ballpark, because the real image processing happens afterwards. It's LR's ability to manipulate details in the highlights and shadows and a very high degree of control over sharpening that makes it so clever. The 'Presence' tools, clarity & vibrance are incredibly smart too.

Sorry to sound like a fanboy for LightRoom but after playing around with the supplied Pentax s/ware and a few others like Raw Therapee I just wouldn't go back now.
I still think Apple's Aperture was more of a joy to actually use day to day but it stopped keeping up with technology before it even got killed off. Lightroom is easy to use and powerful.

Agree Clarity and Vibrance are awesome tools, but if you want to knock your socks off, try playing with the Dehaze slider. Every now and then I get a shot that I just can't get the overall balance right on, and I try it out. It's like magic sometimes.

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Capture One is also very good, but initially expensive. They have a 30 day demo. I went that way because I didn't want to have to pay Adobe for the rest of my life to view my images. However, I know that everyone has their own opinion on that subject
I don't wanna pay them for life either, but I also know that nothing I pay for "once" will last forever and that means more readies down the road anyway. The reason I use Lightroom is because I really like the way it works for me. I started on v3, skipped over to Aperture for a bit (for the better integration on the Mac) and then returned to.

I also -it's still possible to install the stand-alone version with a one-off payment. It's missing a few features that the subscription version has, but overall it's fairly complete.
Oh, I didn't know there were functional differences. What sort of things are missing? Anything apart from the obvious cloud-related bits like mobile sync?

01-31-2017, 11:40 PM   #12452
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I will stick with the K50. Last night at the lake I got a few shots of the local rowers out training. The rural scene is about 10 minutes too late to catch the sun, but I like the 'mood'. All jpegs the two rowers are cropped, one using Tv for bif, the others in Av modes.
Nice. It looks like you're starting to get the post processing sorted. As I mentioned, I found it a bit of a learning curve, but once I worked things out I was very happy with my Pentax dSLR.
01-31-2017, 11:58 PM   #12453

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zkarj Quote
I think I might be being dense, but what does BIF stand for? In any case, thanks! I think.

I still think Apple's Aperture was more of a joy to actually use day to day but it stopped keeping up with technology before it even got killed off. Lightroom is easy to use and powerful.

Agree Clarity and Vibrance are awesome tools, but if you want to knock your socks off, try playing with the Dehaze slider. Every now and then I get a shot that I just can't get the overall balance right on, and I try it out. It's like magic sometimes.

I don't wanna pay them for life either, but I also know that nothing I pay for "once" will last forever and that means more readies down the road anyway. The reason I use Lightroom is because I really like the way it works for me. I started on v3, skipped over to Aperture for a bit (for the better integration on the Mac) and then returned to.

Oh, I didn't know there were functional differences. What sort of things are missing? Anything apart from the obvious cloud-related bits like mobile sync?

A couple of the more useful tools at least -boundary warp in Panorama creation, and ironically, Dehaze. I'll check for it later, but pretty sure I haven't come across it during use so far.

This details it nicely: Compare Your Options: The Differences Between Lightroom 6 vs. CC | ProDesignTools
02-01-2017, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #12454
Veteran Member

Lightrooms awesome. Been my go to tool since before a DSLR.

Clarity, Vibrance and dehaze with Caution. it's addictive.

edit your pictures and then sleep on it. If you still like the look in the morning, export and move on. Too many times I've got carried away with un-natural looking images. The best images are the ones people aren't too sure if you edited or not. But thats me, I've exaggerated a few sunsets here and there lol :P

02-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #12455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of the more useful tools at least -boundary warp in Panorama creation, and ironically, Dehaze. I'll check for it later, but pretty sure I haven't come across it during use so far.

This details it nicely: Compare Your Options: The Differences Between Lightroom 6 vs. CC | ProDesignTools
Ah, makes sense. I remember when Dehaze was added recently, so it wouldn't have been around when LR6 came on the scene. This goes exactly to my point that LR6 vs LRCC is like apples and oranges. CC keeps getting new features added over time which arrive every 3-4 months, whereas LR7 doesn't even have a roadmap, and when it does appear, it'll be more $$$. Of course whether those $$$ will compare to having paid the subs in the meantime and whether you ever want those features is part of the equation, but you're not just paying a recurring fee for the privilege of using one piece of software (not to mention you get PS in the bargain, too) but to stay on an update schedule, and a fast one at that.

Also, going on past form, I'll not be worried when the next version of macOS appears – CC will be upgraded in short order to deal with anything needed. I just wish I could pay slightly less for just LR, as I don't really use PS any more now I have Affinity Photo. I'm looking forward to Affinity's proposed DAM product but not holding my breath that it will quite fill my needs on day one, whenever that is.
02-01-2017, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #12456
Veteran Member

Birds In Flight. Like this one, a jpeg taken on a dull gray evening. Lousy weather but after a day inside always good to get out.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-01-2017, 02:35 AM   #12457

Ah, makes sense. I remember when Dehaze was added recently, so it wouldn't have been around when LR6 came on the scene. This goes exactly to my point that LR6 vs LRCC is like apples and oranges. CC keeps getting new features added over time which arrive every 3-4 months, whereas LR7 doesn't even have a roadmap, and when it does appear, it'll be more $$$. Of course whether those $$$ will compare to having paid the subs in the meantime and whether you ever want those features is part of the equation, but you're not just paying a recurring fee for the privilege of using one piece of software (not to mention you get PS in the bargain, too) but to stay on an update schedule, and a fast one at that.

Also, going on past form, I'll not be worried when the next version of macOS appears – CC will be upgraded in short order to deal with anything needed. I just wish I could pay slightly less for just LR, as I don't really use PS any more now I have Affinity Photo. I'm looking forward to Affinity's proposed DAM product but not holding my breath that it will quite fill my needs on day one, whenever that is.

Good old Interweb -it's been sorted

Lightroom 6 Dehaze – Cut through the fog

---------- Post added 02-01-17 at 10:41 PM ----------

Birds In Flight. Like this one, a jpeg taken on a dull gray evening. Lousy weather but after a day inside always good to get out.

Nice shot -also a testimony to how good the DA L 55-300 is wide-open at extreme tele

02-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #12458
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Birds In Flight.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a reference to the Asterix comics.
02-02-2017, 12:22 AM   #12459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aha! And there I was thinking it was some photographic term. My wife's preferred term, which covers both petrol powered and feather powered, is "TTF" – Things That Fly.

Nice shot of the Caspian tern. I've got some in my Birds album on Flickr but nothing anywhere near that close.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a reference to the Asterix comics.

Zigactly!

I don't have a whole lot of actual BIF images and even less I'm really happy with, but this has to be one of my favourites.

Then again, there's one shot that always gives me a buzz when I come across it again. It's all in the timing...

02-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #12460
Veteran Member

"TTF" I like that.

One beautiful sunny evening a Tern was hovering about 30m away from me then did a nose dive, into the water, surfaced with a rudd in its beak and lifted off. I could not have asked for a closer better lit up example. I had held the shutter down from when I saw the bird was about to dive and followed it till it lifted off.

Some idiot had the camera set to landscape, SR on,
02-02-2017, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #12461
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then again, there's one shot that always gives me a buzz when I come across it again. It's all in the timing...
Neat shot!
02-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #12462
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some idiot had the camera set to landscape, SR on,
My favoured screw up is the 2 second timer. How good is your tracking? Good enough for 2 seconds blind? Mine's not!
02-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #12463
Veteran Member

Here is a late evening photo looking towards Mt Pirongia. Looks more like a pastel painting, but I kinda like it. Different.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #12464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a late evening photo looking towards Mt Pirongia. Looks more like a pastel painting, but I kinda like it. Different.
Nice - from near Te A? I miss that mountain view from Hamland.
02-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #12465
Veteran Member

My favoured screw up is the 2 second timer. How good is your tracking? Good enough for 2 seconds blind? Mine's not!
Two seconds panning a swallow, and the thing would've made six turns.
« GR x GIN Social | - »