Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #12511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Not for the faint hearted Eric -I come from the shoot/go-home/process-negs/enlarge + print generation. It's really time consuming, mixing chemicals up, heating to the right temps (and keeping them there), the chemicals in the developer used to be nasty (google glutaraldehyde) and probably still are. Making a completely light-tight space for doing it all in is more difficult than you'd imagine. If you've never manually processed silver acetate emulsion then it's a good experience, but personally I'd rather sit in front of a PC with a coffee/beer/wine and do it with a mouse.
Ya I have no doubt the difficulty to develop your own shots. I watched a few videos on youtube and was lost. Not to mention the time effort and money I would have to invest to go down the darkroom road. Maybe when I retire and need a hobby. But like Ross said, time is the hard part and paying someone else to do it seems about right.

In no way would I ever leave digital. I love lightroom and the process way to much (especially with a coffee and beer) but my goal with trying to find an old SLR camera and try some film is purely to learn more about photography and to inspire creativity. There is something appealing to have film and the limited access to taking a shot and the unknown of how that show with turn out (being unique). I think with digital that there is greater expectations to be tack sharp, white balance perfect, composition perfect, and exposure perfect. Not to mention the numerous shots I take just because I can, since it's digital.

How I move forward I know I'll have digital for years to come (hopefully a new camera within the year) But having film and a simple set up could be for rainy days or to change things up creatively. And maybe I get hooked and in two years I'll have a darkroom. But for now I won't worry about that

02-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #12512
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a proper darkroom setup some 30 odd years ago. My parents house had a basement, so it was easy to create a light-proof place. The squirrel and vinyl listener in me would like to got here again but I suspect it will be in the too hard basket. I would not mind developing negatives myself but as for enlarger and prints - perhaps not!
02-09-2017, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #12513
Veteran Member

I have enough hassles finishing off digital images that come from the camera already 90% done..
02-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #12514
Pentaxian

I gave my father's darkroom equipment to a local school. i have no intention of getting into film.

02-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #12515

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
I have enough hassles finishing off digital images that come from the camera already 90% done..

Still looking for an SD card that will take itself out of the camera and into the reader on the PC...
02-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #12516
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
Still looking for an SD card that will take itself out of the camera and into the reader on the PC...
It's called a Wifi connection. Some of the newer Pentax camera bodies come with it .
02-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #12517

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It's called a Wifi connection. Some of the newer Pentax camera bodies come with it .
I think it's on the K-S2 I've just acquired -not sure if I trust this new fangled technology.

02-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #12518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwigeezer Quote
I opened the card door, held the camera over the keyboard and shook the bejezuss out of the camera.. doesn't work. !!! Pictures stayed where they were.
02-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #12519
Veteran Member

Moon light Landscapes.

I woke up at 3am this morning and with a clear sky and full moon, decided to drive out to the local lake and try taking a few photos. The lake had wisps of fog over it, the moon was overhead and I think this was my problem.

The moon was too high to use as a light source and the camera (K10d) would not find focus. I don't think the lake surface and the reeds around the lake provided enough contrast for the focus points to lock onto. Tilting the camera up to include the moon got focus but that had nothing but the moon in the scene.
I had hoped the moon's reflection on the water would help give enough light but the wispy strands of fog blocked that chance I think.

Couple of things learnt, I'll check the position of the moon next time. I will do my homework on setting the camera up beforehand. I used the DA 18-55 lens opened to 18mm f3,5.

What would your settings be for night landscapes?. Av or Tv?.

Here is a photo I took from the same place 10 months ago using a Sony WX200 p&s camera. This is roughly what I was trying to replicate this morning.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-WX200  Photo 

Last edited by awa355; 02-10-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: camera settings
02-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #12520
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why didn't you flick over to manual focus.?
02-10-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #12521
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Why didn't you flick over to manual focus.?
Where were you at 4 this morning???? Could've told me then..

Makes sense.
02-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #12522
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awa355 Quote
Where were you at 4 this morning????
Beauty sleep!!
02-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #12523
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Beauty sleep!!
I think that answer goes for most of us...
02-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #12524
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that answer goes for most of us...
But less effective for some of us!!
02-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #12525
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
thanks for the advice.

The only reason I thought of the k1000 is because it has been around for ages and seems to be a good film camera for beginners. Basic but educational. Have no Idea what I would look for in a second hand one. I read somewhere it needs a rare battery for the metering system,
The battery for the K1000 is not that rare, They use a LR44 battery, which is also named V13GA, 357, SR44, A76, or a few other names. The big thing is the Energizer 357 or SR44 batteries are silver oxide, the LR44 is an Alkaline battery, as is the V13GA. Silver Oxide would be preferrable to Alkaline in a camera, but both will work ok.

Hayden

---------- Post added 02-10-17 at 06:07 PM ----------

That is a very kind offer, but I suspect my property manager is of exactly the same opinion.

I have had the thought - would I get to a dark room? - but time is what I don't have enough of, so at the moment I will keep paying others to do the developing, and scanning if I like the image enough.

Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate that.

Ross
I currently do my B+W at home, and all i have is a Paterson System 4 tank and reels, and a dark bag, load film onto reels and into tank in the dark bag, insert funnel and tank is light tight, remove from bag and process in light, its great.. No darkroom needed. I have also found a set of chemicals for processing C-41 at home too that are already mixed, so it has dev, bleach, fix and a stabilizer that can be done in the Paterson tank, although ideally i would love a Jobo processor